a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Dictionary with pronounciations?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

pudding
New in Town

Dictionary with pronounciations?

Postby pudding » July 13th, 2007 10:19 am

Are there any online or downloadable Japanese dictionaries that comes with pronounciation like dictionary.com or microsoft dictionary? it doesn't have to be japanese-english. All i need is the sounds =|

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 13th, 2007 10:53 am

Get 40% OFF
pudding
New in Town

Postby pudding » July 13th, 2007 11:10 am

i dont mean to sound rude but HELLO? ARE YOU READING? I need accompany WAVs. Not just any japanese dictionary!

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » July 13th, 2007 12:03 pm

pudding wrote:i dont mean to sound rude but HELLO? ARE YOU READING? I need accompany WAVs. Not just any japanese dictionary!

I don't mean to be rude, but
YES I AM READING.

YOU SAID "PRONUNCIATION". YOU KNOW, THAT ATTRIBUTE OF LANGUAGE USUALLY EXPRESSED IN DICTIONARIES AS:
blackguard |ˈblagərd; ˈblakˌgärd|

OR:
ならず‐もの【ならず者】

YOU DIDN'T SAY WAVS.

ARE YOU THINKING?

As a side note, just putting "I don't mean to be rude but" in front of something doesn't disqualify it from being rude.

nandemoii
Been Around a Bit

Postby nandemoii » July 13th, 2007 5:12 pm

NickT
Expert on Something

Postby NickT » July 21st, 2007 1:44 pm

On a related topic, does anyone know of an online or electronic Japanese dictionary that has pitch or accent markings, to aid pronunciation?

nandemoii
Been Around a Bit

Postby nandemoii » July 21st, 2007 3:23 pm

Shaydwyrm
Expert on Something

Postby Shaydwyrm » July 21st, 2007 6:55 pm

Something to note is that the pitch in many Japanese words varies somewhat depending on what comes before or after it. The "Japanese: The Spoken Language" textbook series had a pretty thorough treatment of this, but it was pretty hard to follow since it was introduced incrementally with each new grammar element. I eventually gave up on an intellectual understanding and just try to model my speech on native speakers now...

alchdemon
New in Town

well a little off topic

Postby alchdemon » July 27th, 2007 3:44 am

im a little off topic , but just incase u wanted to know , there is a pretty good DS game (search kanji on play-asia DS) that i have that shows pronuciation , u can search fro kanji by "writing" it (the touch screen recognition is pretty good) and it has voices, u can even search for abreviations and stuff (e.g PC) and howd u say it in japanese. thats if u have a DS. online, dunno , but if u search i bet u can find it

jkeyz15
Expert on Something

Postby jkeyz15 » August 4th, 2007 4:18 am

I think pronunciation files for a dictionary are somewhat pointless. Japanese pronunciation is virtually static, and the writing represents the pronunciation unlike English.

Japanese sounds are very similar to sounds that exist in English. Most are extremely minor differences, and they're are some, possibly slightly difficult, major ones like the Japanese R (ɺ̠ in IPA*), W (ɰ in IPA), or the f/h sound in ふ (ɸ in IPA).
*I had an anal AP teacher who taught us the part of IPA used in English. I don't bother to memorize it for Japanese..to much trouble. I just copy and paste the IPA characters from wiki when I need to ^-^.

Pronunciation differences in most part are only due to different dialectual differences, or slight differences that are due to the "flow of speech." Pronunciation of single word is pointless for reasons stated above, if you study pronunciation it is better I think in the context of sentences and usage.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”