Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

A good book to explain English Grammar...

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

A good book to explain English Grammar...

Postby lonna_senpai » June 28th, 2007 11:10 pm

Ok, here's the major problem I have.

I have great Japanese books (Tuttle is the best publisher EVER!) However they never give a good explanation about the English side of it.

Like I have no idea what a transitive and intransitive "whatever" are, I need help!

So if anyone knows of a good book that helps explain English grammar, so I could understand the Japanese side of it I would appreciate it more then words can say!!!!

The simplest book would do wonders for me! ::SIGH:: But I can't seem to find any that can explain it to where I understand it.

Harv
Established Presence

Postby Harv » June 28th, 2007 11:34 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_grammar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb
The number of arguments that a verb takes is called its valency or valence. Verbs can be classified according to their valency:

* Intransitive (valency = 1): the verb only has a subject. For example: "he runs", "it falls".
* Transitive (valency = 2): the verb has a subject and a direct object. For example: "she eats fish", "we hunt deer".
* Ditransitive (valency = 3): the verb has a subject, a direct object and an indirect or secondary object. For example: "I gave her a book," "She sent me flowers."

There's a lot more about verbs there. You'll probably be able to find most of the information you need on wikipedia or similar sites. Wikipedia isn't always 100% reliable though.

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 29th, 2007 12:29 am

Oh i have a good one. It's called: Grammar Express ISBN 0-201-52073-7

lonna_senpai
Established Presence

Postby lonna_senpai » June 29th, 2007 9:37 pm

thanks a lot for the help!!!!! I looked on Wikipedia and I couldn't find anything....um

ARIGATOO!!!!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”