• Hiragana games
• Katakana games
• Kanji games
• Quizzes
• Online Flash Cards

padrik
Established Presence

Postby padrik » June 18th, 2007 4:46 pm

I used to be a member years ago, back then there was some entertaining videos, but I never really learned much from them, lots of english used. The courses were decent, mostly doing things on your own though. I am sure its different now as I haven't been a member for at least 3 years. I will go check them out, thanks...

カール

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
mieth
Expert on Something

used to be a member

Postby mieth » June 19th, 2007 1:17 am

I was a member for a while. The courses are pretty decent but there is a lot of work to do on your own and the organization can be a bit frustrating. While there is audio it is certainly not in a useful format. The videos are kind of funny but get old quick. Some random vocabulary and almost no japanese instruction (for learning). The videos might be useful for upper intermediate to advanced students. It was a shame that they made so many videos yet didn't use that medium to actually teach the lessons. anyway one cool thing they did have is a verb conjugator where you could put in any verb and you could get all the different conjugated forms out. They also have an adjective conjugator which is quite nifty. Overall I find j-pod to be a much better learning tool. but that is just my two yen.

Musouka
New in Town

Postby Musouka » June 30th, 2007 2:33 pm

Well, I use both YesJapan and JPod101. I view them as complementing each other instead of being directly in competition. Both sites has their flaws but when put together, they make an excellent resource for learning the language.

The YJ videos are great if you actually study them instead of just watching them just like the JPod podcasts. Granted, there are no transcriptions of the shows (still work-in-progress) but lots can be caught from the words display on screen.

I don't find the YJ lesson structure to be confusing the one bit. It is organized and efficient, IMHO. I like them better than JPod's premium content. Then again, that is a personal preference. One big difference, though, is that, unlike JPod, YJ does not concentrate on anything related JLPT (which is a not-so-good test when it comes to measuring the actual language ability - especially the spoken part).

All in all, you may want to check out YJ when the new YJ 5.0 gets launched (which is soon). If you want to give it a try, you can benefit from the reintroduced 10-day free trial and judge for yourself.

Anyway, I am not in any way marketing for one site on the expense of the other. I am just stating my opinion and you don't have to agree with all that I have said.

Cheers :)

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: YesJapan Lessons

Postby Ulver_684 » June 30th, 2007 8:05 pm

nandemoii wrote:http://www.yesjapan.com/lessons4.mv?aboutus+&code=

Japanese Courses
• 5 Courses
• 60+ Japanese Lessons
• 60+ Writing Lessons
• 10,000+ Sound Files
• All Native Speakers
• 2500 Kanji Usage Examples

Interactive Features
• Ask-a-Teacher Service
• Live Skype Classes
• Huge Q&A Database
• Student Forums
• Flash Chat Room
• Student Messaging

Bonus Areas
• 130+ Video Shows
• 1000+ Japanese MP3s
• Worksheet Downloads
• Testing / Certification
• Auto Verb Conjugator
• Auto Adjective Conjugator

Study Tools
• Vocabulary games
• Hiragana games
• Katakana games
• Kanji games
• Quizzes
• Online Flash Cards

Nandemoii-san! :wink:

Sounds interest, I'm going to try YesJapan now, Thank you for the info! 8) :wink:

TheNationalPool
Been Around a Bit

Postby TheNationalPool » July 8th, 2007 3:27 am

Does anybody have any of the full shows? I'd be interested in checking that out. Perhaps through a torrent?
www.thenationalpool.com

www.ModernMusicBusiness.com
"A podcast for the new era of the Music Business"

Lukerz
New in Town

Postby Lukerz » November 1st, 2007 12:21 am

TheNationalPool wrote:Does anybody have any of the full shows? I'd be interested in checking that out. Perhaps through a torrent?

There are a good few full shows available for free. Check out www.GeorgeAndKeiko.com.

I've been a member of YesJapan for over 3 years now, and have only just subscribed to JPod101 (went straight to premium) because one thing that YJ does lack, are podcasts. Like Musouka said (hey Musouka!), this site and YesJapan definately complement each other and create an invaluable resource for learning Japanese.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » November 2nd, 2007 2:40 pm

Mina-san! :wink:

Anyone is going to try http://www.Japanesepod.com when it lauches out. :hachimaki:

Has anyone try out http://www.Japanforum.com, http://www.Japanlinked.com or any other Japanese site. :?

punisher
New in Town

YesJapan

Postby punisher » June 18th, 2008 10:44 pm

I had been a YesJapan member until recently. I had to trim my bills before the Japan trip, so I had to cut it loose. It is a shame, as I have been a YJ member since the first George and Keiko show.

I can understand the comments about the GK shows. They were fun to watch, especially early on, but learning through them was nearly impossible. An intermediate student would really benefit though.

As for the classes, I can't think of anything better. Most of my vocabulary came from George's classes.

Audio is the problem. You have to be online to use the audio, and I don't like to be tied online to do anything. If I can't print it or download it, I won't use it.

I joined here because there are these great audio classes, and they are free. I paid for a subscription when I found out about audio quizes. These are one of the best learning tools I ever. (that and the really expensive field trip I just took)

BTW I purchased an IPOD just to be able to use all the resourses from JapanesePod101.......While I was blowing all that Japan money, why not buy an Ipod.

Anyway, George's classes are great. I will continue to use JapanesePod101, in conjunction with YesJapan.com

I think the complement is a perfect match.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » June 19th, 2008 10:56 am

I haven't used their lessons, but I do periodically (it seems about quarterly) go over there and download a few videos, (Mostly GK, but sometimes others). The videos are quite comedic, but as far as learning actual Japanese, I find this site to be much more useful.

punisher
New in Town

Lessons

Postby punisher » June 19th, 2008 12:31 pm

Don't judge the YJ lesson plans based on George and Keiko videos.
If you haven't seen the lessons, perhaps you should give them a try.

I'm not saying you should stop JPOD. I think the 2 programs cover the other's weak points very well.

I will back down my subsciptions to normal price so I can afford both.

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » June 19th, 2008 1:31 pm

Actually, it's a matter of I don't have time for both right now. Currently I barely have time to listen to a couple JP101 and EP101 podcasts. (I can't really do it at work, I am transitioning from commuting by car to bike (Can't listen to (insert choice mp3 player here) while on bike for safety reasons) and it's just a hectic time of year.

punisher
New in Town

Isogashi

Postby punisher » June 19th, 2008 3:31 pm

I understand. I have a family to care for, and I get paid to juggle time frames on near-impossible engineering tasks. My only good time is at 05:00, if I come into my office early. No one else around.

That is why I said earlier that if I can't print it, or put it on my Ipod, I won't use it. (Always busy)

Once in awhile, the family forgets I am there, and I study. (they usually find me quickly) So I print YJ, and carry Ipod, and have both Lesson plans right wih me.

*BEWARE sucking up* JPOD101, thanks for the ipod Notes!!!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”