a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Electronic Dictionary / Denshijisho

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

WCR91
Established Presence

Electronic Dictionary / Denshijisho

Postby WCR91 » March 7th, 2007 5:49 pm

Hey, Everyone. I have a Japanese friend that uses a small device in which you can type in japanese words and get them translated to english, or vice-versa.

He said that in Japan, it ran him about $300.

It seemed like a great device and I was wondering if anyone else had seen or used one, and if anyone know where I could get one, and for how much. [Preferably under $300!!]

Thanks for the help.

:mrgreen:
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 7th, 2007 6:10 pm

There are already a couple of threads here if you do a search.

My wisdom about it, such as it is :) is here
http://www.shiawase.co.uk/reading/jisyo.html

If you own a Nintendo DS, there is an interesting Dictionary for it that costs about 4000yen I think. worth a look before spending a lot on a more expensive device.

BTW I think electronic dictionaries are maybe best suited for Intermediate and above or a confident "not-quite-a-beginner" rather than a complete beginner. (not knowing what your level is, gomen nasai)

Usually you have to buy these things from Japan.

Get 40% OFF
WCR91
Established Presence

Postby WCR91 » March 7th, 2007 6:50 pm

I think I'd like to think of myself as in-between, so I think perhaps I'd be suited for one. I don't own a DS, but if that's the best way to do it, I think I might look into getting one. I think I'd like to buy one before I go to Japan, but that's quite a while down the road. If there's one that I can get for a pretty good price (which is around 200 to 250 dollars), I might pick one up.

Thanks for the advice! By the way, I love your site, Belton-san!
*tap tap* Is this thing on?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » March 7th, 2007 7:06 pm

I'm glad you like my site. ありがとう!

I can only really recommend the Nintendo dictionary if you already own a DS. As an inexpensive way in.
You may as well go the extra bit and get a wordtank otherwise.

(I must update my site. I got a copy of the nintendo dictionary recently. )

If you know someone in Japan who can take delivery, Amazon.jp seems to have really good bargains now and then when Canon or Sharp upgrade their line. I've seen 70 to 80% off the list price at times.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Electronic Dictionary / Denshijisho

Postby Ulver_684 » March 16th, 2007 8:22 pm

WCR91 wrote:Hey, Everyone. I have a Japanese friend that uses a small device in which you can type in japanese words and get them translated to english, or vice-versa.

He said that in Japan, it ran him about $300.

It seemed like a great device and I was wondering if anyone else had seen or used one, and if anyone know where I could get one, and for how much. [Preferably under $300!!]

Thanks for the help.

:mrgreen:

This is the best electronic Dictionary! I'm going to buy it right away and you should buy too now!

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/techn ... ir&emc=cir

www.franklin.com

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » March 17th, 2007 10:01 am

Ulver_684 wrote:This is the best electronic Dictionary! I'm going to buy it right away and you should buy too now!

I'm glad you're so excited about it, but I think it is stretching reality a little to say it's the best electronic dictionary. Maybe it's the best Travel Translator, and it may be handy if you plan on visiting a few countries, but if you are serious about Japanese it has nothing on any of the offerings from Casio, Seiko, or Canon to name just three.

Still, I don't know what you need from a dictionary, so it might be perfect for you. I simply recommend you look carefully at the alternatives if you haven't done so already.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 19th, 2007 2:13 pm

Airth wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:This is the best electronic Dictionary! I'm going to buy it right away and you should buy too now!

I'm glad you're so excited about it, but I think it is stretching reality a little to say it's the best electronic dictionary. Maybe it's the best Travel Translator, and it may be handy if you plan on visiting a few countries, but if you are serious about Japanese it has nothing on any of the offerings from Casio, Seiko, or Canon to name just three.

Still, I don't know what you need from a dictionary, so it might be perfect for you. I simply recommend you look carefully at the alternatives if you haven't done so already.

Arith-san Thank you for telling me but In my case it is the best dictionary because it has the languages I plan to learn later on so if this dictionary has them all in one and it will help me out when I go and visit those countries too then it is magnificient! 8) :D :wink:

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”