a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT N4 - textbook

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Spiderwick
Been Around a Bit

JLPT N4 - textbook

Postby Spiderwick » January 21st, 2012 11:12 pm

I've been using Minna 1 and have started Minna 2 (up to ch. 36) but I'm getting a bit bored. I tend to use it for my online lessons but I just don't find it enjoyable for private study and the grammatical explanations and lack of answers isn't always helpful. I want to take the N4 test this year and was wondering if Genki 2 ( I liked the first one) and Japanese for Busy People 2 would cover it. I'm also using the Kanzaen Grammatical bok designed for the test - rather like this. What do you think about these textbooks?
Barbara :)

mwbeale6642
Been Around a Bit

Postby mwbeale6642 » September 4th, 2012 12:02 pm

Hi Barbara,

My view is that Japanese for Busy People 3 takes you up to the level of N4. In J4BP3 you will study things like the causative, passive, humble forms, honorific forms, よう、みたい、らしい etc. These are all parts of the N4 "syllabus". The Japanese for Busy People books are really beginner books (it is difficult to imagine that J4BP3 is a beginner's book when you first start J4BP1!). The N4 test is meant to be a beginner's test, so N4 and J4BP3 seem to line up. In terms of Jpod101, I reckon you want to have done the beginner series lessons and lower intermediate season 6 (not necessarily the earlier lower intermediate series lessons) to be at N4 level.

I thought the ARC academy N4 grammar book was really useful: and the "basic 1800 words" vocabulary book. My view is that you might as well know the vocab and kanji if you are going to take the test (rather than just assume that you should know the right sort of vocab).

Anyway, that was my experience (I passed N4 in July).

I hope this reply was useful to someone even if Barbara has already succeeded with N4.

Martin

Get 40% OFF
mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » September 4th, 2012 9:00 pm

mwbeale6642 wrote:Anyway, that was my experience (I passed N4 in July).

Congratulations!!

マイケル

karmitthefrog6725
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby karmitthefrog6725 » September 6th, 2012 5:33 am

Barbara-san and Martin-san, kon'nichiwa!
Martin-san N4 goukaku omedeto gozaimasu!
AS Martin-san mentioned, N4 is designed for those who finish beginner level Japanese.
We cover it with Beginner series and some lower intermediate courses. For example, Lower intermediate Season6 is the bridge course between beginner and other lower intermediate seasons, and season3-5 covers some of the grammar points you need for N4.
Japanese for Busy people I-III, Genki1-2 and Min'na no Nihon-go shokyuuI&II are categorized as the introduction to beginner Japanese textbooks.
There are minor differences but basically the level and the grammar points they cover are not so different.
You can study by yourself with Genki but would have difficulties with Japanese for Busy people and Min'na no Nihon-go, since Genki has lots of grammar pages and because the last 2 are designed for teaching in the class with a teacher.
I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any other questions.

Motoko
Team JapanesePod101.com

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”