a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

New JLPT structure.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mrgantys
New in Town

New JLPT structure.

Postby mrgantys » November 29th, 2009 12:08 am

Hey, I don't normally post, but I heard from a Japanese buddy that they are adding a new level for the JLPT, so its going to be JLPT 1 through 5 now. Supoosedly the new level is going to be between levels 2 and 3.

Again this is just gossip, so...

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 29th, 2009 11:17 am

Not a rumour at all.
http://www.jlpt.jp/j/about/new-jlpt.html

I'm afraid it's all in Japanese at the moment but there are samples of the new style of test papers here.

The test will also be held twice a year. Although I wonder if all exam centres outside Japan will offer it. (Although it's so popular in the UK that the exam centre put a cap on the number of candidates this year.)

As yet, I haven't seen any syllabus for what kanji, vocabulary and grammar points are tested on each new level. It's published as a book in Japan and takes a while if ever to percolate onto the English interwebs. Hopefully jPod might oblige here.

Get 40% OFF
bd36576
New in Town

Postby bd36576 » December 6th, 2009 9:31 am

Very interesting. I have always felt the jump from 3 to 2 was big (re: amount of kanji).

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » December 11th, 2009 2:25 am

The "New Japanese-Language Proficiency Test Guidebook" was put out recently and provides lots of useful information regarding the new JLPT test.

Those interested can read it here: http://www.jfmo.org.ph/pdfFiles/2009/december/jlpt2010.pdf
JapanesePod101.com - Forum Admin
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » December 11th, 2009 10:50 am

From that booklet

The goal of learning Japanese is not to memorize vocabulary, kanji, and grammar,
but to become capable of using them as a means of communication. The new
test is to measure both
“Japanese language knowledge, including vocabulary and
grammar,” and
“the competence required to perform communicative tasks using
language knowledge.” Therefore, we determined that it is not appropriate to publish
“Test Content Specifications” which includes the lists of vocabulary, kanji, and
grammar.

No more (official) lists of kanji and grammar points, etc. The whole specification just got a lot muddier but probably a tad more realistic.
I applaud their stance but think it's better for those being tested to have good guidelines about what specifically is required to reach a certain level.

While the old level 1 to 4 maps onto the new levels N1, N2, N4, N5 judging the halfway point for N3 will be tricky. Maybe people will end up studying the old L2 books but with a guaranteed pass of N3 at the end rather than a shaky attempt at N2...

lazer85
New in Town

Postby lazer85 » April 23rd, 2010 3:26 am

I read through the pamphlet and the website in Japanese and I don't think anything was mentioned about the specifics of what kind of questions will be in each section. Since they are putting the kanji/vocab section together with the grammar/reading section does that mean there won't be as many vocabulary/kanji questions.

I'm worried because I was counting on that, my kanji and vocab is really strong and my reading is kind of average for someone taking level 1.

Anyone have any idea what the questions will be like, if they'll be any different.

There is no information on the format of questions is there?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » April 23rd, 2010 9:39 am

lazer85 wrote:
There is no information on the format of questions is there?

There are some sample questions here.
http://www.jlpt.jp/j/about/new-jlpt.html
or in English
http://www.jlpt.jp/e/about/new-jlpt.html

Apparently they are not going to publish past exam papers any more. I haven't seen any full example test papers yet.

A search on Amazon is showing a fair amount of books for the new specs though.

Also be aware that you now have to get a minimum score in all areas. Reading can no longer make up for poor listening for instance.

Overall they they are now trying to look for an overall ability in Japanese rather than someone good at taking (gaming?) a test.

lazer85
New in Town

Postby lazer85 » April 23rd, 2010 12:40 pm

im not sure thats true. I've heard the same thing from various people, all of whom are taking the test but the test pamphlet said that the seperate section grades are just for your personal reference and studying benefit.

I have a lot of books and they all basically say 'this MIGHT be what you can expect' and that you need to know this stuff but they dont really give a breakdown of whether there will be a vocabulary section within the grammar etc. section or if the vocabulary questions will all tie in with the readings.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » April 23rd, 2010 12:50 pm

lazer85 wrote:im not sure thats true. I've heard the same thing from various people, all of whom are taking the test but the test pamphlet said that the seperate section grades are just for your personal reference and studying benefit.

I have a lot of books and they all basically say 'this MIGHT be what you can expect' and that you need to know this stuff but they dont really give a breakdown of whether there will be a vocabulary section within the grammar etc. section or if the vocabulary questions will all tie in with the readings.

I refer you to Section 5.2 in the English Guide. I would assume something similar in the Japanese version.

(2)Pass or fail
The requirements for passing have changed so that examinees must now exceed the minimum acceptable score for both the total as well as each scoring section. Failure to exceed the minimum acceptable score in any scoring sections will result in a fail for the entire test, even if your total score is above the minimum acceptable score. The purpose of setting a minimum acceptable score for each scoring section is to assess the comprehensive proficiency.
 The minimum acceptable score for passing both the total score and each scoring section will be announced in 2010.

They do break down section one(grammar and vocabulary) into two separate grades A, B, C and it is these that are for reference rather than being a score. However the scores are just that, and a minimum in each area is needed. (section 5.3.3)

Mind you there are only two sections on N1 and N2, Listening and Everything else. So it's only an issue if the candidates listening skills aren't as good as they might be. Reading, Grammar and Vocab are all on the same paper. (N3 and below separate out the Reading)

I think they've made the content and nature of the test more obscure on purpose. Until there is information from people who have actually taken the test on what they can remember about the paper, everyone including textbook publishers is more or less guessing.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”