Or sign up using Facebook

UK qualification equivalent to JLPT 4?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Anyaaa
New in Town

UK qualification equivalent to JLPT 4?

Postby Anyaaa » October 23rd, 2009 6:34 pm

Hello!

I was just wondering what the JLPT 4 would be equivalent to in the UK. Is it similar to a GCSE?

Thank you!

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 23rd, 2009 7:30 pm

I'd imagine Level 3 would be closer to a GCSE. Level 4 is very basic, and most people pass it within a year.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 26th, 2009 10:36 am

I'd say a GCSE is nearer to JLPT4 in terms of content. (vocab, grammar points, kanji)
I don't think GCSE covers passive constructions or keigo. Although I can't find a syllabus, (they seem to be a secret, or maybe general guides rather than specific points. --The Irish Leaving Cert, an exam similar to GCSE and A level, has much more clearly defined specifications)

A GCSE is a bit more comprehensive than JLPT though as there is an oral exam and you are expected to give written answers rather than chose from multiple choice.
However looking at a sample paper it's much more simple than JLPT as the exam paper is in English and the answers are mostly in English (The new *dumbed down* 2010 specification?). The pass mark is lower than JLPT as well.
Looking at the 2008 1 hour 15 min writing exam paper, if you can pass JLPT4 this should be a doodle.

A levels (obviously) are better and more challenging from what little I've seen. They seem closer to the old JLPT3.
It is interesting to note that according to the Japan Foundation that most non-native teachers of Japanese in the UK are at JLPT2 level (or below).

JLPT and GCSE's test slightly different things really. JLPT is aimed at adults for starters.
Any exam is likely to be a challenge for people sitting it. About 40% of those sitting JLPT 4 don't pass. (some with very low scores, scoring less than 20% in a multiple choice test you've studied for is a feat in itself, that 3 people had less than 1% in 2008 is unbelievable!).
JLPT4 looks easy to me now, but it was a challenge at the time. It is possible to sit it after a year depending on how many classroom hours or hours study you can do.
Starting from scratch you have a lot to cover. To absorb it properly takes time.
The same would be true of a GCSE except the limitations schools put on people sitting exams. (Anyone with physical access to an exam centre and £60 can sit JLPT)

The Japan Foundation has a page about exams in the UK
http://www.jpf.org.uk/language/exams.php

and the only board to offer Japanese, edexcel is here
http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gcse/gcse- ... fault.aspx

Kafeen
New in Town

Postby Kafeen » October 27th, 2009 12:36 pm

Belton wrote: About 40% of those sitting JLPT 4 don't pass. (some with very low scores, scoring less than 20% in a multiple choice test you've studied for is a feat in itself, that 3 people had less than 1% in 2008 is unbelievable!).

I noticed this in the 2008 results. I assumed the people getting 0-4 points (or whatever the range was) just didn't turn up for the test. But there were others such as 20-24 points, that's around 5%. With multiple choice out of 4 possible answers even if you guess everything you should average around 25%. I can only assume they didn't understand the instructions on how you're supposed to fill out the answer booklet.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » October 28th, 2009 9:37 am

I think what you actually see is a bell curve centred around 25% when people just guess based on 4 choices. We're seeing the extreme end of that curve. Really unlucky you score 0, really lucky you score 100. Possible although statistically unlikely outcomes.
I'm not sure they do count no-shows into the statistics. I'd expect at least one no-show per level per exam centre. Much more than 3 or 4 globally I would have thought.

But the point I was trying to make is that for a majority of people taking the test JLPT4 is not exactly easy. Maybe the results are because people believe the Internet comments about how trivial and easy it is and sit it without sufficient preparation. Who knows.

On the difference between GCSE and JLPT4. I would say that GCSE requires you to be more productive and you have a bit more control over your answers. JLPT is a bit unforgiving and tends towards technical knowledge (like proper use of particles and tenses etc.) Same basic content covered getting there but you have to display your knowledge in different ways. An A or B in a GCSE would impress me more than a pass at JLPT4. But both are an achievement.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”