Or sign up using Facebook

How to improve reading/grammar

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jcalver
New in Town

How to improve reading/grammar

Postby jcalver » June 15th, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello everyone

I'm looking for some advice to improve my reading and general grammar. For the level 2 test, I'm around the passing mark for listening and kanji/vocab, but I always do terrible in the reading/grammar section.

I've tired working through Japanese books or magazines, I find I learn better from real examples, then just memorizing. But I find it too tough and get frustrated very quickly. Am I biting off more than I can chew?

Does any one have any methods they find work for them?

James

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » June 15th, 2009 5:26 pm

I've been practicing up for the JLPT as well, so I can relate to the trouble you're having. The reading exam is renowned for its ruthless time limit and ridiculously dry content, so don't feel like you're the only one going through this. The best advice I can offer is to maintain a constant study of new vocabulary and continual reading practice (I've been using Anki for this, looking up every single unfamiliar word and adding it to the study deck. It's very tedious, but the past 6 months have yielded fantastic results). You could also try taking a few familiar sentences and trying to read them as quickly as possible, or getting a book & its companion audio book and following along as you read. Beyond that, it's not a bad idea to be thinking about strategies for taking that test itself (e.g. looking at the questions first, making mental notes of particular points as you read, making educated guesses...). It's designed to be challenging as opposed to being a realistic judgement of your abilities with the language.

Improvement really a slow process, though. Sometimes you won't even realize the progress you've made until you look back at your level a few months prior. Just keep at it!

頑張って!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF
Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » June 16th, 2009 12:38 am

If you can get your hands on this book, give it a try:
完全マスター2級 Reading

完全マスター2級 Grammar

I tried the book for 1級 Reading and it was really helpful - it's filled with practice questions just like those that appear on the test. There are both short and long articles, just like on the exam, so you can try your hand at both. If you come across any unfamiliar vocabulary or grammar structures in the examples than you will know that you have to go over those. The Grammar book is also a huge help.

My advice for the JLPT is to study specifically for the exam. That means studying with materials that are made with passing the exam in mind. General Japanese books and magazines are good practice too, but when you get to levels 1 and 2 of the JLPT you'll find that a lot of the grammar that's covered is just not the kind of grammar you'll find in your average book or magazine. Books like the ones I listed show you exactly what's on the test as well as the format that it's presented in.

Good luck!!
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

jcalver
New in Town

Postby jcalver » June 18th, 2009 12:54 pm

Thanks for the tips. Ya, I should focus my study on the material on the exam, since passing that is my current goal. Once I've done that I can spread out a bit more.

I have a copy of that grammar book, but I didn't know about the reading book. That sounds more like what I'm looking for. The grammar one is good, but I find it doesn't really help with reading.

Has anyone tried this book? It looks similar to the above grammar book, Nihongo Drills?

James

katechix
New in Town

Improvement

Postby katechix » April 12th, 2010 8:05 am

Has provided this Japanese test as a way for Japanese language learners to evaluate their Japanese proficiency. We have based this test on the standard Japanese vocabulary and Japanese grammar that you would find in any Japanese language learning material, so that this proficiency test can measure your command of the Japanese language regardless of your Japanese language learning background.
Learn To Speak Japanese

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”