Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT levels versus college course levels

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Birdwatcher
New in Town

JLPT levels versus college course levels

Postby Birdwatcher » February 11th, 2009 8:10 pm

Hello all,

Is there a rough equivalency that anyone knows between the levels of the JLPT and college level courses. For example, JLPT 4 being reasonably expected as achievable by the time one completes Japanese 103, etc.

Many thanks in advance,
John

nfottral
New in Town

Postby nfottral » March 13th, 2009 5:19 am

JLPT 4 is an extremely easy test that requires only the most basic Japanese. A semester of study should be sufficient; however there is no real point or reward in being certified at that level. JLPT 3 would probably take most students about two years of studying Japanese as the college level.

JLPT 2 is a different story. The number of required Kanji jumps from 300 to 1000. Most students will not have learned enough material in three or sometimes even four years of college Japanese to master this test. There certainly are exceptions, but it would really require someone to buckle down and go far beyond what you'll be expected to learn in class. A year of studying abroad in Japan would help.

JLPT 1 is a killer. 2000 Kanji required. So about twice as hard as the JLPT 2.

My guess:

JLPT 4: 6 months to a year
JLPT 3: a year to two years
JLPT 2: three to four years
JLPT 1: six to eight years

Basically the test doubles in hardness every time. Good luck.

Get 40% OFF
Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » March 13th, 2009 5:43 am

I agree with nfottral's explanation. I had been studying Japanese on and off for about 6 years when I passed JLPT 1 so I'd say it's pretty accurate.

Because of the huge gaps between levels (particularly 3 and 2), they have decided to create a 5th level that will be offered starting next year. I think it's a good idea!
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » March 13th, 2009 3:42 pm

Congrats on passing JLPT level 1. I bet that was an accomplishment. I am still buckling down for level 3. :p

Did you study in Japan or outside of Japan? Just curious.
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”