Or sign up using Facebook

JLPT Level 4, Anyone?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

JLPT Level 4, Anyone?

Postby SuiteOne » April 25th, 2006 12:49 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been considering taking the JLPT Level 4 exam this December. I'll be in medical school, so I'm not sure if I'll have time to do it, but I'm thinking about it. I've already purchased some study guides, and I have begun working on them!

Anyone else thinking of sitting for this exam?
How are you planning on studying?

Let me know! :D

Nicole

rhondavb
New in Town

JLPT Level 4, Anyone?

Postby rhondavb » April 25th, 2006 2:22 pm

Hi there...

I plan on taking Level 4 this December as well. Right now I am enrolled in a local community college taking Japanese, as well as listening to these podcasts. I'm also reviewing the Genki books and I have the kanji flashcards from White Rabbit Press.

So even though it sounds like I have a lot of study material, I'm still nervous!

There are a few sites that carry the actual tests from previous years, if you want to give it a try.

がんばってください!

〜ロンダ

Get 40% OFF
esp
Been Around a Bit

Postby esp » April 25th, 2006 5:16 pm

I'm thinking of doing JLPT level 4 this year. I'm probably going to do a lot of work in the summer holidays so hopefully it should be quite easy. I've been going to night classes and studying at home for about a year now, and i've seen some sample questions which look alright for the level i'm at. I'm mainly learning from Genki 1 and japanesepod101.com at the moment but i'll probably buy Genki 2 or maybe some other books in the summer to further improve my reading, and carry on listening to jp101 and watching films to improve my listening skills.

penelope
New in Town

Postby penelope » April 27th, 2006 8:03 pm

Hi there,
I might perhaps try it in december... I've just begun to study though, and so far I use only material from www.
I'm doing it just for the fun of it, and there is certainly no class or whatever else teaching available here. So, I will see how far I'll be in summer and decide then.
I've found out that kanji are strangely easy for me to recall, so I think the biggest problem will be the grammar, for which I haven't found a way to study yet. Maybe in the Learning Center here something will pop up. Are the courses you're taking addressing specific issues of the JLPT?
Where are you planning to take the test? I've never been in Japan, so I might also decide to take it in Kyoto, just as an excuse to go there. However, I heard there is a lot of paperwork before to do, and that might be very hard to do from here, all on my own :cry:
Saluti a tutti :P

Peter
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Peter » May 1st, 2006 6:56 pm

Mina-san!

Thanks for all the posts! :D Apologies for taking so long to get back to you, but things over here have been hectic! Thank you for your understanding. For those interested in taking the JLPT, please check out the learning center. Recent questions are structured after the test, and we plan on adding more questions like this.

Please keep the suggestions coming.
Yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Peter :D
JapanesePod101.com
Learn Japanese with FREE Daily Podcasts

http://www.japanesepod101.com
contactus@japanesepod101.com

helen
Been Around a Bit

Postby helen » May 2nd, 2006 2:01 am

I'm thinking about going for the level 4 this Dec, but I'm not sure if it's going to be possible because I'll be living in Belgium at that point and I'm not so sure how I would go about doing it there. I don't know if I'll already have enough on my plate teaching English but it's only about 12 hours a week so I'm thinking there should be some time to study Japanese too... 8)

nongton
New in Town

Postby nongton » May 2nd, 2006 3:30 pm

Hi everyone
I also plan to take JLPT 4 exam this year but I don't know I can do it or not. I'm bad student who always skip the class :cry: . Until one day I realized that I completely had no idea what teacher are talking about. Last exam some of my classmate pass level4 exam and some got very good point. So, I think if I have the gold to learn, it would be good inspiration for myself. That make me want to talke the exam, Now, I start with attend to the class every week ( try not to skip any more :P) and listen to this JP 101 . I also read Grammar and listening book for JLPT4 which write in my language. I hope it will help to improve my Japanese. Do you guys have any suggestion for me. :D
Don't leave for tomorrow, what you can do today.

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » May 4th, 2006 3:45 pm

It's great that so many of us are thinking about taking the exam!
I'll be taking it here, in New York City. It would be so nice to go to Japan to take it, though!
I recently purchased two practice books from a nearby Japanese bookstore. They've been really helpful so far. Where did you all find the online practice tests?
皆さん、頑張りましょう!

Nicole

penelope
New in Town

Postby penelope » May 4th, 2006 7:15 pm

Hi there,
I found a few practice tests here: www.kanji-a-day.com/quiz/index.php
You have to register with the site, but it's free.
The quiz is only about kanji, though. I start to do fairly well on those :shock: , but I fear the worse for everything else: grammar, listening...
Has anyone a website that prepares for these parts as well? Note I still hadn't time to check out our learning center here - maybe jp101 will solve all those problems :lol:
Yeah, taking the test in japan would be awfully funny :P . Has anyone precise info on what's needed (besides knowledge of japanese, ummm :oops: ) ?
Saluti a tutti :P

penelope
New in Town

Postby penelope » May 4th, 2006 7:19 pm

Nicole, what books did you get?
I haven't bought any so far, because I will have to get them shipped by amazon, so I can't nose around and look them through beforehand. I have read that genki is not bad at all and thought of maybe getting that one. Let me know what you think :D
Saluti :P

chloes
New in Town

JLPT 4 -Down Under

Postby chloes » May 12th, 2006 3:21 pm

Hi Guys

I'll be attempting level 4 too this year.

So if anyone is in Sydney Australia and wants to cram-let me know!

gryffindor
Been Around a Bit

Postby gryffindor » May 14th, 2006 6:41 pm

I'm considering signing up for the JLPT 4 too. I haven't got much experience in the language yet.

I only know how to read and pronounce the hiragana and very minimal amout of kanji. I also know only the very basic S-O-V structure of Japanese sentences. I try to train my ear by listening to the podcasts.

My study plan is here, guys please comment, cos I don't know much about JLPT4.

1) Master the 80 Kanji required for JLPT4
2) Master the Kanji vocab required for JLPT 4
3) Train my ears by listening to the podcasts

As you can see, there is something missing here. The grammar huh? Well, I am not taking classes now, so i'm not too sure what to do about it.

Will someone please recommend a comprehensive textbook for beginners to me? (esp. those who are learning Japanese in schools now?)

I also have a bold ambition of being able to read in Japanese. The thing is I haven't been able to find beginner level kind of a Japanese texts to read.

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » May 17th, 2006 4:19 pm

I did JLPT 4 last year after about 10 months of random study. A lot of people laugh at it but it actually harder than what you'd expect, especially the listening part. That said, if you put in a decent effort to learn the hundred or so kanji, and a heap of grammar forms, then you should do alright. For vocab and kanji I got something like 91% but listening was 54%, so yeah, work on your listening if anything.

This year I'm either going to go for JLPT 3 or 2, most likely 3.

頑張って!

penelope
New in Town

Postby penelope » May 17th, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi everyone,
Where can one get files for the listening part of the JLPT ? There are lots of websites for vocab and kanji, but listening? How are you preparing that part of the exam?
Saluti :P

Bucko
Expert on Something

Postby Bucko » May 18th, 2006 12:17 am

There are lots of places where you can buy pre-tests that come with listening CDs. Not sure about online though.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”