a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

4kyuu Grammar help ください。

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

His_Royal_Mudge
New in Town

4kyuu Grammar help ください。

Postby His_Royal_Mudge » August 27th, 2008 12:55 pm

Could any of you lovely, lovely people help me with the following structures?
An explanation would be ideal, but anything will be appreciated.
Also, if someone happens to know a JPod lesson in which it appears, then please tell me that as well.
The example sentences were ones that came with the structure - these I haven't made up.

Adj=Adjective, N=Noun, V=Verb.

Adj+N+で - あの人は元気で やさしいです。
Adj+N+に+V - あの人はかんじを上手に書きます。
Adj+N+な+N - あの人は元気な人です。
Adj+N+の - きれいなのを買いました。

[V/+Adj/+Adj+N]+N - あれは大学へ行くバスです。
- 友だちの作ったりょうりを食べました。

格助詞+は/も - いすの上には新聞があります。
- このバスは大学へは行きません。
- 家でも学校でもよく勉強します。
- 田中さんとは話しましたがすずきさんとは話しませんでした。
- ドイツからも学生が来ました。

Adj+く/Adj+N+に/N+にする - へやをあかるくしました。
- 友だちがしずかにしました。
- りんごをジャムにしました。

ありがとうございます^^

Rod Wadd
Been Around a Bit

Postby Rod Wadd » August 28th, 2008 5:48 am

Looking at the somewhat mathematical-looking equations on the left it doesn't seem like the example sentences follow them very clearly.

For example, there's no adjective+noun in these sentences.

Adj+N+で - あの人は元気で やさしいです。
Adj+N+に+V - あの人はかんじを上手に書きます。
Adj+N+な+N - あの人は元気な人です。
Adj+N+の - きれいなのを買いました。

But what is going on here are examples of so-called "na-adjectives" which are more like nouns that become like adjectives when you add な to them.

The first example あの人は元気でやさしいです is similar to changing a so called "i-adjective" by replacing the い with くて。 It has the effect of "and" in a list of attributes.

The second example, あの人はかんじを上手に書きます is using a "na-adjective" (上手)to modify a verb. (書きます) by using に。 So it's more like an adverb than an adjective.

The third example, あの人は元気な人です is using it to modify a noun, which is where the term "na-adjective" comes from. 元気 becomes an adjective by adding な so it can modify the noun 人。

The fourth example, きれいなのを買いました is the same as the fourth except you're modifying a pronoun (の) instead of a noun.

Explaining Japanese using English grammar is not ideal but I found it helpful especially in the early going. From what I gather actual Japanese teachers (teaching Japanese to Japanese students) don't use the concept of "na-adjective" at all, it's just for our benefit.)

Get 40% OFF
Rod Wadd
Been Around a Bit

Postby Rod Wadd » August 28th, 2008 6:03 am

[V/+Adj/+Adj+N]+N - あれは大学へ行くバスです。
- 友だちの作ったりょうりを食べました。

These sentences are pretty much like the English use of "that" in the sense of "this is the cat THAT chased the bird THAT ate the spider THAT caught the fly . . ."

格助詞+は/も

- いすの上には新聞があります。
- このバスは大学へは行きません。
- 家でも学校でもよく勉強します。
- 田中さんとは話しましたがすずきさんとは話しませんでした。
- ドイツからも学生が来ました。

I'm not sure what is going on here really, if you consider each particle as having its own function rather than thinking of this as a combination I think it might be easier to understand in the long run.

For example, the last one, ドイツからも学生が来ました。 から means from and も means also so からも means also from, or even from.
For このバスは大学へは行きません へ is a particle indication direction (to, towards) and は is the topic marker. So へ by itself would be matter of fact whereas adding は is pointing out the fact.

Hope this is the kind of explanation you were hoping for. I'm not sure I quite understand the equations your textbook provided though!

Adj+く/Adj+N+に/N+にする - へやをあかるくしました。
- 友だちがしずかにしました。
- りんごをジャムにしました。

adj.+く ・ にする is like to make or to become.

Return to “JLPT (Japanese Language Proficiency Test) - 日本語能力試験”