Dialogue

Vocabulary

Learn New Words FAST with this Lesson’s Vocab Review List

Get this lesson’s key vocab, their translations and pronunciations. Sign up for your Free Lifetime Account Now and get 7 Days of Premium Access including this feature.

Safe & Secure. We respect your privacy
Or sign up using Facebook
Already a Member?

Lesson Notes

Unlock In-Depth Explanations & Exclusive Takeaways with Printable Lesson Notes

Unlock Lesson Notes and Transcripts for every single lesson. Sign Up for a Free Lifetime Account and Get 7 Days of Premium Access.

Safe & Secure. We respect your privacy
Or sign up using Facebook
Already a Member?

Lesson Transcript

INTRODUCTION
Hi everyone, I’m Yura.
And I’m Natsuko!
Yura:
And welcome to Culture Class: Essential Japanese Vocabulary, Lesson 2! In this lesson you'll learn 5 essential words related to Food &Drink. These are five common Japanese Foods. Hand picked. You can find a complete list of vocabulary at JapanesePod101.com
FIVE KEY VOCABULARY ITEMS
Yura:
A, what’s our first word?
mochi, rice cake
(slow) 餅 (regular) 餅
Listeners, please repeat:
[pause - 5 sec.]
Yura:
Mochi is a rice cake made of glutinous rice. Japanese people usually eat a lot of rice cake on New Year's Day. -
Yura:
Now, let's hear a sample sentence using this word.
(normal) お正月には、地域でもちつき大会が行われます。
Yura:
There are glutinous rice-pounding events held locally in Japan on New Year's Day.
(slow) お正月には、地域でもちつき大会が行われます。
Yura:
Okay, what’s the next word?
納豆
nattō, fermented soybeans
(slow) 納豆 (regular) 納豆
Listeners, please repeat:
納豆
[pause - 5 sec.]
Yura:
Nattō is fermented soybeans that are infamous for their strong odor.
Yura:
Now, let's hear a sample sentence using this word.
(normal) 日本では、毎朝納豆を食べる人がたくさんいます。
Yura:
In Japan, there are many people who eat nattō every morning.
(slow) 日本では、毎朝納豆を食べる人がたくさんいます。
Yura:
Okay, what’s the next word?
豆腐
Tofu, bean curd
(slow) 豆腐 (regular) 豆腐
Listeners, please repeat:
豆腐
[pause - 5 sec.]
Yura:
Tōfu is made by coagulating soy milk and pressing the resulting curds. It is eaten on its own, and is also used in many different types of dishes.
Yura:
Now, let's hear a sample sentence using this word.
(normal) 豆腐は、健康的な食べ物として世界でも有名です。
Yura:
Tofu is famous all over the world as a healthy food.
(slow) 豆腐は、健康的な食べ物として世界でも有名です。
Yura:
Okay, what’s the next word?
おにぎり
onigiri, rice ball
(slow) おにぎり (regular) おにぎり
Listeners, please repeat:
おにぎり
[pause - 5 sec.]
Yura:
Onigiri (rice balls) are made from white rice formed into triangular or oval shapes. They're often wrapped with nori, or seaweed. Something salty or sour is put inside as a natural preservative, such as pickled plum (umeboshi) or salted salmon. -
Yura:
Now, let's hear a sample sentence using this word.
(normal) おにぎりは、コンビニでも買えます。
Yura:
Rice balls are available even at convenience stores.
(slow) おにぎりは、コンビニでも買えます。
Yura:
Okay, what’s the last word?
たい焼き
taiyaki, a fish-shaped cake
(slow) たい焼き (regular) たい焼き
Listeners, please repeat:
たい焼き
[pause - 5 sec.]
Yura:
Taiyaki is a fish-shaped baked cake, traditionally filled with sweet red bean paste. -
Yura:
Now, let's hear a sample sentence using this word.
(normal) 最近は、たい焼きの中身にいろいろな種類があります。
Yura:
Lately you can get taiyaki with a variety of different fillings.
(slow) 最近は、たい焼きの中身にいろいろな種類があります。
QUIZ
Yura:
Okay listeners, are you ready to be quizzed on the words you just learned? A will give you the Japanese – please say the English meaning out loud! Are you ready?
[pause]Yura:
onigiri, rice ball
たい焼き
[pause]Yura:
taiyaki, a fish-shaped cake

Outro

Yura:
There you have it – five Foods in Japan! We have more vocab lists available at JapanesePod101.com, so be sure to check them out. Thanks everyone, see you next time!
またね!

11 Comments

Hide
Please to leave a comment.
😄 😞 😳 😁 😒 😎 😠 😆 😅 😜 😉 😭 😇 😴 😮 😈 ❤️️ 👍

JapanesePod101.com
Monday at 6:30 pm
Pinned Comment
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

What else do you know about Japanese cuisine?

July 22nd, 2013 at 9:51 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Gift san
I love that too^^
Thank you very much!!

Minako
Team JapanesePod101.com

Gift
July 20th, 2013 at 9:21 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I love the music and sound effects used in the recordings:thumbsup:😄

Minako
May 15th, 2013 at 6:42 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Akira san

Thank you for the details about Onigiri!
Onigiri is a Japanese culture nowadays, we eat at lunch time,
can be snack as well.
Nori is consider as healthy food.
This seaweed is useful when wrapping sushi rice😄

Minako
Team JapanesePod101.com

Akira
May 12th, 2013 at 6:38 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Onigiri is like a meal in a rice ball. It has the rice for carbohydrates, filling (Which is usually cooked something) and then the nori which has some kind of nutrients that I heard makes your hair darker in color 😁

March 22nd, 2013 at 9:20 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

ベアトリーチェsan,
I agree!! Onigiri is really convenient food😀

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

ベアトリーチェ
March 21st, 2013 at 12:10 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

I know there is a lot of fish, rice, soup and pickled things.

onigiri I eat often as well. Because it is the cheapest thing that I can buy when I’m out and not feel hungry afterwards.

March 3rd, 2013 at 11:17 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

マイケルさん、
I see; cooked fish sushi!
That should be good too! 😉

Sweet! You don’t have to travel to London then; you can buy some stuff online😁 And, even if you can’t get fresh fish, you can use other ingredients like spam and vegetable. Prawns are served (on sushi) also
boiled or even grilled sometimes. Recently boiled prawn and avocado
with mayonnaise on top is one of the very popular sushi. This shouldn’t be
too difficult for you to prepare as far as ingredients are concerned😉

Or, as Britain is surrounded by the sea just like Japan, you might go
fishing and prepare sushi right there with real freshly caught/sliced fish?? 😀

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Michael M Mason
March 3rd, 2013 at 6:27 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Yes, the town where I live is small. I can’t get fresh fish, at least not fresh enough to eat raw, so I used cooked fish or vegetables (or spam) as a topping.😕

There is a nice Japanese food store in London. I have been there a couple of times: many of the customers are Japanese, so I guess that means the food must be authentic. 😄 And you are right–they do have an online shop! 😀

マイケル

March 2nd, 2013 at 11:48 pm
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

マイケルさん、
that’s a brilliant attitude!!
I know some foreign people love 納豆, so it’s really a matter of personal taste.
Strange taste can be difficult to accept, but you might like it the second time
or third time you try😀

Is your city small? If you have any chance to travel bigger city in Britain,
I’m sure you can find authentic Japanese food, not like fake “sushi rise”
from Italy😀 They might have online shop?

So you can actually make 握り寿司?? Wow!! (I can’t….😳 At least
I’ve never tried…) Do you usually make 握り寿司 with fresh raw fish?

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

Michael M Mason
March 2nd, 2013 at 9:25 am
Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Where I live it is very difficult to get Japanese rice. We can get “sushi rice” but it comes from Italy and I don’t think it’s the same as Japanese rice. At least, I have trouble making 握り寿司 (nigiri sushi) because the rice doesn’t stick together very well.

My guilty secret is that I like spam musubi, which is a kind of sushi that comes from Hawaii and uses spam (スパム) fried in teriyaki sauce as the topping.

The Japanese dish that I would most like to try is 納豆 (nattou)。Of course, that is because Japanese people like it but almost everyone else says it’s horrible. But there are many British foods that British people like but everyone else says is horrible (English sausages and Marmite, for example) so I don’t entirely trust what “everyone” says.😄

マイケル