Or sign up using Facebook

Why do you want to live in Japan?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Why do you want to live in Japan?

Postby jazzbeans » January 15th, 2009 11:16 am

Hello,

I was just curious as to why people are going to/want to live/work in Japan, it's interesting. Is it because in certain sectors of the working-world, there are better oppotunities/more money to be made in Japan? Or maybe, some of you want to live in Japan because you have family or someone who's going to move there.

It would be interesting to hear the different stories. For people who already live in Japan, is it a beautiful country? It looks beautiful (I haven't travelled to any part of Japan).

Personally, I would have thought it would be hard for foreigners to live in Japan. But it seems that so many people are interested in it that maybe I got the wrong idea!!

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » January 16th, 2009 9:16 am

I want to live in Japan because I like it there, and because my wife's from there, and because I want to learn the language (partly so that if we have kids we'll be able to bring them up so that they can talk to both sides of their family).

It's clean, the people are largely friendly and welcoming, the food's great, the TV's funny, the technology is superior and lots of the people look more stylish.

But I guess the grass is always greener, so I reserve the right to change my mind about all of that after prolonged exposure.

Get 40% OFF
lazer85
New in Town

Postby lazer85 » January 16th, 2009 9:50 am

i like pancakes. in japan.

karategirl09
New in Town

Postby karategirl09 » January 16th, 2009 12:32 pm

I seem to only be attracted to Japanese guys. I love the fashions there - people don't just go around in jeans everywhere. And people are generally smaller than here, so I can actually buy clothes in my size!

Apart from those things, I am really fascinated in the culture too.

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » January 16th, 2009 3:20 pm

karategirl09 wrote:I love the fashions there - people don't just go around in jeans everywhere.

Are you from America?

It's just that, I've come across a few people (from America) who talk about everyone wearing jeans all the time. Is it really that common? Ha ha!

Kyukun
New in Town

Everything (Unique)

Postby Kyukun » January 16th, 2009 7:14 pm

I want to live and work in Japan for various reasons.

I have been interested since I was 12 (I have been interested in Asia since around age 5). I wanted to go so bad because of the unique lifestyle and arts and traditional architecture. Everything in Japan looked so invigoration and colorful and stylish. It would be like going on an adventure everyday just walking around the streets.

I would also love all the entertainment there, from games, to manga/doujinshi, to festivals. Japan is a great place for fun and endless activities.

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » January 16th, 2009 7:15 pm

Taurus wrote:I want to live in Japan because I like it there, and because my wife's from there, and because I want to learn the language (partly so that if we have kids we'll be able to bring them up so that they can talk to both sides of their family).

It's clean, the people are largely friendly and welcoming, the food's great, the TV's funny, the technology is superior and lots of the people look more stylish.

But I guess the grass is always greener, so I reserve the right to change my mind about all of that after prolonged exposure.

Oh, and I forgot to add: they've also got the best mayonnaise.

karategirl09
New in Town

Postby karategirl09 » January 16th, 2009 9:00 pm

jazzbeans wrote:
karategirl09 wrote:I love the fashions there - people don't just go around in jeans everywhere.

Are you from America?

It's just that, I've come across a few people (from America) who talk about everyone wearing jeans all the time. Is it really that common? Ha ha!

I'm from the UK, but I think it's the same here. Most people around here seem to live in their jeans, it gets boring. And I can't buy most adult clothes here because I'm just 152cm tall, so I don't have much choice of what to wear. That's a big reason why I really want to go to Japan.

elau1986
Been Around a Bit

Postby elau1986 » January 16th, 2009 11:09 pm

I want to live in Japan, because I want to master the language. I really like the Japanese language. At first, I was simply interested in their music/drama/animation. But when I started to study the language itself i just fell in love with it. I guess thats the main reason why I want to go to Japan. :D

momopeaches
New in Town

Postby momopeaches » January 16th, 2009 11:18 pm

I first started getting interested in Japanese culture when I was about 7. From ages 7 to 11 or so, every year we had a Japanese exchange student for a month or so out of the year. Because of them, I started getting into animes and mangas. I already loved video games and knew where they came from... Just like babies! I didn't get serious to learningthe language until a couple years ago.

Living in Japan has always been like such and exciting alternative to America, especially after hearing stories of my friends going to Japan. The outlook on life seems so different than over here. Plus, I've been in love with the fashion and architecture since I was a kid.

Hopefully I'll have an opprtunity to study abroad for 3 weeks this summer. Not too long, but if I have enough money saved up, it will be so worth it!

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 17th, 2009 9:23 am

I feel at home there. Even when I can't understand a thing that's going on.
I feel an affinity with Lafcadio Hearn a Greek/Irishman who discovered Japan in his 40's and became Koizumi Yakamo. (Because I'm Irish and first went to Japan in my late 30's.)
My wife is from Japan.

Deep baths, wooden floors, neighbourhoods, 100yen stores, people read books, Book Off, katsudon, obentou, people with weird hobbies, fare adjustment machines, chocobananas, ....
It's clean, it's fairly orderly, people behave better to each other than in the UK. Public spaces are better cared for, both by the public body responsible and the people that use it. A lack of graffiti and litter on trains. The service industries work. The trains work. People don't talk on mobiles on trains, nor play load obnoxious music. The youth aren't seen as threatening. Children are allowed to be children. Technology works. In banks, post offices, local government offices, taxis and buses the employees aren't behind bullet proof glass or in plastic compartments. People try to help you. You can dress up as an Imperial Stormtrooper, ride the subway and not get arrested (or shot), indeed almost go unnoticed.

To illustrate, recently we only had a 10,000 yen note getting on a bus on a bank holiday. We couldn't buy our tickets at the tobacco kiosk because it was shut, the change machine only takes 1000 yen bills. The bus driver had no change. An old guy came up and offered to pay for us. The driver just said pay on the way back and trusted us to do it. In the UK we'd just be thrown off the bus. In the UK the assumption is you're dishonest.

I'd love to try living there. Unfortunately I doubt I could find work to allow me to support my family. I'm not sure I'd fit in with the Japanese work ethic either. The day to day reality I'm sure is much different than my holiday experiences. But I can dream, who knows what the future may hold...

kino261988
New in Town

Postby kino261988 » January 17th, 2009 11:37 am

japan had many super kawai-i things... long live japan.... banzai nipon..

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » January 17th, 2009 3:09 pm

Belton wrote:To illustrate, recently we only had a 10,000 yen note getting on a bus on a bank holiday. We couldn't buy our tickets at the tobacco kiosk because it was shut, the change machine only takes 1000 yen bills. The bus driver had no change. An old guy came up and offered to pay for us. The driver just said pay on the way back and trusted us to do it. In the UK we'd just be thrown off the bus. In the UK the assumption is you're dishonest.

A bus driver let me stay on the bus for less than half the price 'cause I didn't have money, heh-heh. Maybe that's because I'm a girl who also still attended school back then. Or I could have been lucky (I rarely take the bus).

Every country has good and bad points about itself, the UK isn't that bad.

I love grafitti (but I HATE tagging, HATE it). I live in Bristol, where the Council allow people to graffiti in a lot of areas - professional stuff. So pretty. There is nowhere near as much tagging as before that, tagging has basically left.. at least from everyway I go. Good too! It's pointless.

Taurus wrote:Oh, and I forgot to add: they've also got the best mayonnaise.

HA HA, too bad I don't like mayonnaise... =(

melmorisato
New in Town

Postby melmorisato » January 27th, 2009 1:23 pm

i really really love the culture in japan . . . and the people are very nice and friendly . . .

after i graduate, im planning on living there . . . i like the way they secure the environment . . . one sample of this is many high buildings there have plants all over the roof top . . . i like how they treat nature (^_~) . . .

MagicToaster
New in Town

Postby MagicToaster » January 27th, 2009 2:37 pm

I can't remeber ... :shock: , but I love learning the lanuage and about the culture and it makes me want to experience it ...this all started a few years back with a show in the UK that was called Adam and Joe go Tokyo ^^

Return to “Working & Studying in Japan”