Or sign up using Facebook

Flashcards issues, observations, and workarounds

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

danthestarvingartist_500140
New in Town

Flashcards issues, observations, and workarounds

Postby danthestarvingartist_500140 » January 22nd, 2015 4:37 am

Like many of the users here, I am having issues with the flashcard decks:

Issues: Random word replacements, incorrect vocabulary lists from lessons, replacement of "mastered" words with new unstudied random words for incorrect learning percentages.

Observations: It appears that Jpod101 is overhauling all of the flashcards by changing existing ones. The newer flashcards have an image and at least 4 pretty good example sentences. The older flash cards do NOT have an image, and only have one or two example sentences, many of which are something useless like, "わたしは(vocab word)です。" The even older cards appear to have definitions separated by / instead of , but I'm not sure. The flashcard database seems huge, so it will take some time to phase out the old cards and complete the newer card format. I just wish there was a way it could be done without affecting our existing flashcard decks. Maybe complete them off the website, then shutdown the flashcards a day or two to install the new cards? I think everyone would be ok with this. It's extremely annoying to go through a deck and find that you have 100% learned a word you've never seen before.

Workarounds: Big decks are more likely to be corrupted. I previously would make decks of an entire lesson season, but that only makes the corruption more difficult to see. I now use smaller decks, one for each lesson, and delete words as I memorize them, and then combine smaller decks together to make bigger decks. It's a pain but it's been a lot easier to keep track of what words are being changed or deleted.

I hope tech support and other users find this post useful, I also welcome any other tips or flashcard workarounds.

-Dan

MicahT
Been Around a Bit

Re: Flashcards issues, observations, and workarounds

Postby MicahT » March 2nd, 2015 7:00 am

Ah this might help! I've been having problems with the flashcard decks so it looks like I could try the small decks idea to see how it goes!

Get 40% OFF
Kythyss_501387
New in Town

Postby Kythyss_501387 » April 26th, 2015 8:46 pm

I wish it did work, I've been using lesson decks since day one, case in point the word 富士山 was just in my recent deck and today it's gone replaced with まっすぐ. I cannot even fix it by putting the word back in the deck manually. Now here's the fun part, I delete the entire deck and re-add it from the menu in the lesson. The word is now back AND now when I search for it manually like before it's also back, able to be re-added. I think you are right they are messing around with changes or something but they are so haphazzard in how they are doing it that it's causing all kinds of problems.

gds_506243
New in Town

Postby gds_506243 » June 9th, 2015 2:10 pm

I have also noticed anomalies. It is a shame they are not responding to this issue publicly at all - I suspect, that rather than being in the middle of a big update they are simply ignoring it and hoping it will go away.

Return to “Technical Support”