Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japan Study Abroad

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Tegyrius
New in Town

Postby Tegyrius » February 6th, 2007 9:22 pm

Brody wrote:Yeah, you'd be surprised how quickly and well you pick it up simply by being around native speakers a lot. I have no real skills to boast of yet, but I have noticed vast improvement in just the short month I've been here.

I cannot describe how much of a delight that was to read. I am going to Japan for a month (to study) this summer.
Thanks for taking the time to blog, and good luck!

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 9th, 2007 5:02 pm

BRODY DOKO DES KA?

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » February 10th, 2007 11:06 am

Howdy y'all. Glad you all like the posts. Even happier that you all like my writing. I've always loved to write.
Anyway, to recap for all you tuning in midseason, I'm in Kyoto now, studying at Ritsumeikan University.

I'd like to follow up on Annie's comment:
Though, don't discount the cultural aspect to learning any language. I think there are things that you won't understand about Japanese without experiencing Japan first hand.

The best example I can come up with on a Sunday night is "mushi atsui"... I knew the English translation, but until I experienced Tokyo in August, I had no idea what it really meant.

And then there's the immersion factor. Living in rural Japan I don't hear English spoken most days and that's had a huge impact on the Japanese learning curve. (and the English forgetting curve... I was watching an American MTV program last night, and I could barely understand half of what the guy was saying.)

Absolutely. If you're going to be serious about Japanese (that is, becoming fluent enough in it to become a translator/interpreter), there is little other recourse than to spend a few years in Japan. Language isn't just words, it's the actions and ways of thinking of the native speakers as well. I just see many people give up because they don't think they can ever get to Japan, and I wanted to say that if you're studying Japanese for fun, there are many helpful resources available to you right now.

Also, remember I'm in a major modern city, so whenever I complain about being around a lot of English, that is why. If you were to be in one of the more rural parts of Japan, you would be shocked by the absence of English. Still, that still means nothing if you're not going out and practicing your Japanese. I actually like the big cities bigger, because you can easily go out and find people to speak Japanese with and then when you get overwhelmed, you can go see an English language movie or find English language books or find many people who speak English.

And now...

GYM

Being a man, I think of few things. Perhaps you can guess most of them. From what we've seen of me so far in these posts, they mostly consist of skirt, steak, violence, and the occasional puppy dog or two (as long as they grow up to be killer beasts). Thus, it is probably no far stretch to also accept that I deeply love weightlifting. I've been weightlifting religiously since I was about 13 and a half, and there are few things I enjoy more.

But let me explain myself! There's more to this man than dashing good looks, suave personality, and a beautiful mind. Yes! Unbelievable as it is, there is more:

Let me tell you a tale of how my dad loves weightlifting, of how he had to work summers as a teenager to save up the money to buy his own rickety weights, of how he had to work out in the cold cold garage back home in dreary Chicago all by himself, teaching himself the proper form and technique, idolizing Charles Atlas and the Blonde Bomber, watching the Conan series on tv Saturday nights and doing push ups between commericials. Let me tell you a tale of triumph in which he eventually went on to set weightlifting records at his high school, 8 of which still stand; of him continuing to lift as he grew and matured, eventually finding a very spirtual side of weightlifting, lifting more for balance and harmony with his body than for power and strength, finding time and again that weightlifting clears his mind, destroys his worries, helps him connect with himself; waiting until the one day he had a son to pass the art down to, waiting for the day when that son was old enough to begin to learn, to learn that spirituality that comes with attuning so deeply with one's own body, delving into one's muscles and fiber, reshaping them, reconstructing them, dashing away the imperfections, and creating perfection. It was never about bigger and stronger, it was always about harmony, balance.

Let me tell you a tale of intimacy, where the father, with his gentle hand, guides the son, guides the son when he can lift no more than the plastic bars, the two together in their dreary basement in Salt Lake, cold wind billowing in through paper thin windows, a naked light bulb illuminating the scene from over head in the unfinished rafters, pouring its harsh flickering light on the scene; where father gets home from a job he hates, the son comes home from a school where he doesn't belong, day after day meeting in that dank basement, once again to lift. A tale of bonding where they causally talk about their days between sets as they rest, start to talk in a way they've never been able to, chatting and laughing and fooling around: they come to know one another in a new light. And the son sees in his father how much the father loves the sport, sees in the way his dad handles the weights and moves his body, with the respect and reverance, that he begins to see there is something more there, something deeper down, both in the sport, and in his father.

Let me tell you a tale of growth! The son becomes hooked. He lifts. And he grows. In no time his body has changed, drastically, a transformation that astounds him, causes him to stand in front of the mirror in delight after showers, instead of averting his gaze as he darts past to his room. In school he is able to walk taller, move more boldly, to be himself more and more. And each day, he wakes up only looking forward to getting back to the basement with his dad, to work out on the new machines they've bought, to tell him some nasty male joke he thought up that he knows his dad will love, to bask in his dad's praise when the father can't believe the growth of the son.

A tale of triumph! It happens. They happen. Girls. They notice. They smile. They come up and touch his arms and their eyes bug out of their sockets. They call their friends over to see how hard this guy's arms are. They scream in delight when they feel his arms. And they talk to him. And talk to him. And he can't wait to get home to tell his dad between sets.

And soon, the son begins playing sports with the boys and they compliment him on his speed and strength. In sports he finds avenues where he can open up, finally be himself. And they like who they see. Soon, he has tried and true friends.

A tale of lasting! The friends come and go, but never the father and son. By now they have moved to a full fledged gym. The father and son are there every day together, people see how much they enjoy working out and come to talk to them about it. Soon, they have trouble working out at the gym because they have too many friends to talk to. And high school comes, and the son plays sports, and he dates, and he does well in school. He has so much on his plate, that he hardly even sleeps. But he does not care: he is alive.

A tale of love (sniff! tear!) All that has come to him through weightlifting, he now recognizes and deeply values. It is never about the amount of weight or the size of the muscles or the looks. The dumbbells and barbells were always a path to himself and to his father, and for that he will never give up the sport. That is weightlifting to him: spiritual and familiar and self.

Yeah, I could tell you that tale. Or I could just tell you the truth. I'm a man and I like big muscles and I like girls liking my muscles and wanting to touch them. And however digusting it sounds when I tell you girls do squeal when they feel my arms (disgustingly AWESOME!), it's true. I am hooked on weightlifting.

So, when thinking about coming to Japan, I had to make sure I'd have a gym to work out in. Ritsumeikan said they did, so I was happy.

First day of school, I headed over after classes. I had made a friend from Tennessee, who also likes to lift and we stepped into the gym, expecting a state of the art, futuristic gym, just like all modern things Japan, complete with high-tech dumbbells, robots that serve you water, and some geisha girls to fan us between sets.

Instead, somehow, we stepped into an airplane hanger left over from the war.
Correction: an airplane hanger that not been left over from the war. One that had been bombed.

The place has falling apart. The floor was lime green, chunks as large as me peeling upwards off the lineoleum. The place was ventilated by vents in the ceilings, so that with it being summer in Japan, it was naturally 290 degrees inside. The equipment looked as if one needed to be wearing long johns made of flannel and have a sturdy handle bar mustache to use them; they seriously probably came out of a 1930's catalouge, remnants of the first ever weightlifting equipment in Japan. Rust was used to lubricate the bars instead of oil. I sat on a bench and it squealed a moan of creaky death.

And the few people using the equipment were a sight themselves. They were a little more updated than the equipment, at least they had gotten to the 1980's. Spandex, and those leotards (are they leotards? You know, the kind of shirts that go down to your groin and you put your legs through it and it kind of thongs you) and nice pink headbands. Plus they were backwards on machines, pulling when they should have been lifting, going laterally when they should have been going perpendicularly, down instead of up, backward instead of forward.

Not the gym we were used to.
Still, a gym's a gym and we could make do with this one. We lifted there, and found it a delight. Soon, we took over and drove most of the others out, as we young American men tend to do. It was great.

Next day, we go back, same routine, only this day, we hear Britney Spears wailing out of the radio. Holy Hell!

We step in and look around. My friend is groaning in pain and I pretend to groan too (actually I'm hoping the music belongs to some cute girls). Much to my chagrin, there's a single girl walking on the slightly broken treadmill, and a whole bunch of guys from the football team doign squats on the rust-o-matic 10000.

We gritted our teeth and waited for the girl to leave with her music. We did manly things while we waited, in order to counter Britney's effects on our manhood, such as bench presses and push ups, and flex our muscles in the mirror, and tell ourselves how cool we are.

Eventually she left. Without the CD. Huh?
The workout was done by then, so we were glad to leave Britney behind.
Next day, we hit the gym, only to here good old Avril Lavigne. Whatandthehunna?
Was that same girl back? We stepped through the door all-a-storm, only to see the same football players, grunting and growling over some dumbbells. No girls. We decided to put an end to this madness (who can work out to pop music? Give us some Incubus or Story of the Year or something). We flipped through the CDs strewn around the radio, pleading, hoping for some refuge as our ears began to bleed.

But only girly-girl CDs...poor dudes. They don't have any other CDs! Radio must be broken too, and they're forced to listen to this crap. Well, no fear! America has come to save the world and will deliver onto these poor souls some awesome rock-and-roll.

My friend is the real god of rock and roll and he whipped up an awesome mix of Incubus and Foo Fighters and Audioslave and The Used and Rage. Walking in to that gym the next day, our faces were full of smug and self-satisfaction--hell, self-adulation. We were ready for those poor, poor football players to grovel at our feet when we delivered them from the Spears hell banshee.

They were over doing pull ups or something, shouting at each other in probable footballery comradery. We ripped out the Britney Spears CD and banished it back to hell, tossing it out the window, and immediately popped in the mix CD, turned the sound level to ear exploding and waited for the glory and the grovelling.

Instead, we were met with about 10 of the angriest faces on the planet, faces that wanted to dismember and stab and crush and annihilate. What? Maybe not big Disturbed fans? Hm, alright will change it to Rage.

Their eyes went golden with flames of fury. They begin ripping off their shirts and grinding their fangs, bringing out concealed chains and knives and flamethrowers. What the hell?

As one they stepped up to us, to where we tried to climb the walls, tried to disappear, to sneak into the protective cocoon of the Calm Like A Bomb. What was happening?

As they circled us, staring us down into cowering fear, one popped open the cd player, pulled out our CD, and ate it. He then,very calmly, never taking his eyes of Death from us, put on another CD. Jessica Simpson.

All fear of death and dismemberment left us. Sheer uncomprehension took over. It was like trying to fathom the Passion, or what God did for the aeons before the Creation, or how many angels CAN dance on the head of a pin. It was inexplicable, unfathomable:
That girly girl music was theirs!

They began singing along and, happy faced, skipped off to do more sit ups. I was completely baffled and, after cleaning up myself with a new pair of shorts, worked out to Jessica Simpson.

Weightlifting suddenly isn't so manly anymore.

(Obviously, I slightly exaggerrated the above. I thought it was fun. The truth of it all is that the Japanese seem to have very different musical taste than we Westerners. I admit I do not know much about music, but my friend lives for music and he says the Japanese' music is much too pop and very commercial. He says it is stuck in the '80's and is not imaginative. I don't know about all that, but I do know that when they listen to American music, the guys DO often choose Avril Lavigne or even Celine Dion or some light jazz. It's really weird for me to hear that in the gym. True, hip hop is insanely popular in Japan, but what I can conclude is that Japanese and American music tastes are very different. Well, to each his own, right? I put up with the pop music in the gym and when I can, I put on some rock and roll and they put up with it. Look at me! I'm promoting international cooperation [or probably just being an idiot like usual. Whatever, semantics-schmantics! :o )
AKA パンク野郎

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 11th, 2007 1:33 am

Welcome back Brody and once again thank you for another wonderful, delightful, and very entertaining piece. i look forward for one about your studies and your overall interaction with Japanese people. Besides the big "Burly" men that they almost stomp a mud hold in you and walked it dry.

doumo

Chansu

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » February 11th, 2007 2:25 am

ROFLMAO!!

Jessica Simpson??? Ohhhh geeez. Brody, I'm so sorry. I guesse you just gotta wait for them to finish their sets huh.

Being a 5'10" thin guy lifting was never my thing. I'm trying to get more into it now for various reasons, girls among them, but not having any expierence with weights I stick to plyometrics. :D Definately is a lot of fun and helps in sports. And the best part, its free. :D

Hows the Japanese going? Got someone to converse with regularly in Japanese?

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » February 11th, 2007 4:26 am

I'll be honest with you, Japanese is hard, living abroad is hard. It's very hard. I don't know if it's for everybody. The study abroad program is a good way to try it out.
There are great opportunites to practice speaking Japanese. I'll tell you about my friend. He's a native English speaker and has been studying Japanese for two years. This is his first trip to Japan. He is on the kendo team, practices with japanese students five days a week and after practice he eats with them. He says it's very hard to follow what they say and even harder to think quick enough to get in a word. They'll speak to him sometimes and kind of push him along in the conversation, guessing what he's trying to say before he has a chance to say it.
He also hangs around after class and speaks with our "buddy" students. They sit with him and let him try Japanese. He finds it helpful.
In the dorm, we have Japanese buddies as well and he often seeks them out and has conversations with them. He also has a close Japanese friend and he often hangs out with her and practices Japanese.
At the start of the year, we were in the same class. He couldn't speak that well, he stumbled over sounds, used very poor grammar and couldn't find words.
We hang out a lot but not in Japanese. I'm not usually around him when he's with his Japanese friends. Recently, we went out with some girls who only speak Japanese and I was very surprised to hear him speak. He was still making a lot of mistakes, using the wrong words, wrong grammar, but he had a very good fluency about him. He was able to speak confidently. He responded quickly when questioned, could reword what he meant when he didn't know vocabulary or a grammar construction, could keep the conversation going, and didn't seem like he was trying very hard. It seemed like he was speaking a real language. Like I said, he still makes many mistakes, but he can really converse in Japanese, even if it is broken and foreign-sounding.
I, on the other hand... well, I know one of my things is that I like English far, far better, of course because it's my native language. But also my passion is literature and it's very hard for me to switch out of English mode. Japanese still kind of seems like code to me. My friend hopes he'll forget English. I, however, greatly fear any loss of English ability. Japanese has been great for me in showing me how much I like English. I know for sure now that my calling is in some field like literature.
And to tell the truth, I don't try to get out and speak Japanese much. I don't like speaking randomly to people. I mostly stay among a small group of tight friends and they all speak English. I have one really good Japanese friend who speaks Japanese with me, but unfortunately he lives far away and at most we speak about once a week, if that.
I pride myself on my English ability and it is hard for me to work past my pride and speak incorrect, broken Japanese. And like I said, I love speaking English.
I tried the xlingo like I recommended but it just wasn't for me, speaking to random people about nothing.
So, in the end, I don't really practice speaking Japanese much. I do spend a lot of time on my own, having sort of conversations with myself in Japanese as study and figuring out how to say things. But I never really apply it.
The results? I have deep reservations when I need to speak Japanese. Like I said, I was very impressed with my friend and how fluently he can speak broken Japanese now. He's working out the problem areas, albeit slowly, and will be just fine. I find that when I am with japanese people, I tend to clam up and not be able to think. When we get lost or have to order at a restaurant, etc, I kind of have to practice in my head before I speak, and when I speak, I get nervous and stumble over words. When I say something, they say something, and then I have to say something back, I have trouble getting things out quickly. And that adds to the anxiety more.
I do admit, I kind of avoid speaking Japanese now. My friends and I always say we should be practicing speaking Japanese together, but we never do. They're in the same boat I am. We all speak English, let's speak English. Yet, what it really is, is that we can't express ourselves in japanese as we would like, and we can't get ourselves over the barrier.
That's not to say I can't use my Japanese at all. We were in a taxi the other day (as you may have heard) and I was able to make jokes with the driver. Also, a bunch of new Korean students moved into the dorm yesterday and I was able to speak with them. I was easily able to introduce myself, show them around, and ask them about themselves. There were a few things or two I couldn't think of how to say quickly enough, so I canned them, and I made tons of mistakes, but we did have a real conversation.
All in all, I still think my friend and I are about on the same level. I'm the studier; he never studies. But he has more confidence. I can follow all he says and pull out his mistakes, but when it comes to conversations he speaks more and can respond more quickly. In conversation, I need time to think how to say something, but I can eventually say it, and say it mostly correctly.
This isn't to say I feel any resentment to Japanese. I still love it. It sounds so cool and I like the literature. But I don't know that it's for me, at least getting to the point of fluency. For me, it would take about five to ten more years of living here, teaching English, to really get it down. Plus I'd really have to give up reading and writing English as much as I do and I will NOT do that. I like reading and writing far more than I like Japanese. I'm perfectly happy with keeping Japanese a hobby. Also, Japanese life is very different from American life, as far as I'm concerned, and for me there is no choice but America. For me, Japan is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.
Like I said, Japanese is up to the person. And it's a wonderful experience no matter where you come out with it. You would be doing yourself a great disservice not studying abroad.
The important thing is to know yourself. I have deeply learned who I am on this trip and I am very happy with it. Don't worry if Japanese is hard! If you want, you'll get it! I'm gonna keep studying, in my own way, probably gonna try to get a job back in the States that has to do with literature or movies or something, and I think I can fit in an hour of Japanese study every day. And that feels like the perfect fit for me. I'll tell you, I was really freaking out about continuing to stay in Japan, study only Japanese and not English, and then becoming a translator-interpreter. It just didn't feel right to me. This new idea of coming back to the States and studying Japanese casually seems perfect to me and has put me in the best of moods. And I feel that I can still make good progress with my Japanese. True, it will take longer, but it may be better in that I will be happier with Japanese and will not stress.
I hate posting threads like this because I don't want to scare people off. Yes, Japanese is one of the toughest things you can do. But I do think ANYBODY can learn it. You just have to have fun with it and make it work for you. I'll eventually get Japanese down, if I want. It is absolutely astounding to be in Japan. I like to write and it has opened up so many writing possibilities for me, seeing the world and all, so much so that even if I had not learned any Japanese at all, this trip would have been still worth it. By all means, get yourself out to see the world. Japanese is a friendly, fun language, and you'll have the time of your life learning it.
AKA パンク野郎

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 11th, 2007 7:19 pm

It sounds to me like you're more a theoretical man and your buddy is more an experience man. Neither is better than the other, but the foci are different.

And it is good that you express your own private reservations about the whole experience with everyone. It gives something to think about before going, not to prevent going, but to better prepare your attitude before getting there. As always, good stuff.

And I feel you on the weight lifting thing. I don't do gyms at all, but instead the track and the streets are my workout sites. I worry about having good places to run, especially since the place I'm probably going is a nice industrial town. How normal is it even to see people out running or jogging in the streets (never-mind foreigners)?

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » February 13th, 2007 4:05 am

Really common to see joggers. Probably more so than back home.
AKA パンク野郎

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 13th, 2007 6:02 am

Brody-san, you rock.

doumo

Chansu

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 14th, 2007 12:00 am

Brody wrote:Really common to see joggers. Probably more so than back home.

I should be in good company then. Thanks.

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » February 22nd, 2007 5:11 am

"It sounds to me like you're more a theoretical man and your buddy is more an experience man. Neither is better than the other, but the foci are different."

I don't think so. In a month you will see which is better. In a year they won't even be on the same level. Of course this is only in the Japanese language, something of varying importance to each individual student.

Its like being a body-builder. The language is your body, and right now you are skinny, weak and frail. Sure you read a lot about body-building and you may understand concepts, but you are too scared to go to the gym because everyone there is so strong and mean looking. Don't train and you won't reach their level. Put in the time and you will. You decide what you want to do.

vnc20100
New in Town

Postby vnc20100 » February 24th, 2007 3:46 am

Brody don't come back yet, wait a year, you'll see the changes it will bring you. In the mean time, write regularly to your blog, that way you'll keep your English sharpened.

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » February 26th, 2007 5:13 am

Ya man, Brody you are a hell of a writer. I wish I could write as good as you.

I think the best route is a median between you and your friend. Keep reading and writing in English since it is your passion. Study Japanese alone and also with a cute girl (who will soon become your girlfriend). Or you know what, if you don't want to speak Japanese just teach a cute girl English (and she too will become your girlfriend). Either way don't tell me you are gonna study abroad and not have a single Japanese girlfriend?! I mean, I just can't understand it! Please Brody, do it for those of us who are living vicariously through you on this forum (and take pics and write about it). ;)

Seriously man, have the best damn study abroad you can. Live every day like it is your last.

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 26th, 2007 8:10 am

After I did my year-long study abroad in Japan, I never thought I'd be back here.
Japan was over and done with for me.

But, 15 foreign countries and seven years later I found really wanting to come back in Japan.
Now I kind of wish that I'd kept studying Japanese for all those years.

I'm with you on the speaking Japanese thing. I never really got over it, until I started working somewhere where almost no one speaks English. It's amazing what boredom will do for your desire to have conversations in Japanese.

(And once again today I was told 「アニー先生、英語が上手ですね」
Which I think means that the people I work with have forgotten that I'm not Japanese.)

Bloodborne
New in Town

Postby Bloodborne » February 26th, 2007 9:55 pm

Excellent posts, brody, I really like seeing your perspective on things. The gym anecdote was hilarious (you have a good taste in music too ;)), and your thoughts on living and studying Japanese in Japan are insightful.

It really seems that different people approach Japanese in different ways. If you end up going to Japan to only find you love English and America more and gained some great traveling experiences, then that is as good as becoming fluent in Japanese and teaching/translating, etc., in Japan. Either way, it sounds like a really worthwhile time and I look forward to starting my studying abroad next year.

Keep up the good work on the posts! I love your writing style, it's very humorous and easy to follow. Also, have you been taking any pictures? If so, get a flickr account or something and post them up here. :)

またね。

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”