Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japan Study Abroad

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » January 26th, 2007 7:23 pm

Ya, theres a huge difference between conversational and an intellectual working knowledge of Japanese. :) Step by step is the only way we can do it though, so just sit back and enjoy the ride. :D

So Brody, you got any stories about all the cute Japanese honeys over there?? Any pictures you can share with us?? You show me yours, I'll show you mine. ;) Don't forget, nothing better than a little language practice in bed. B)

erok1999
New in Town

Great stuff

Postby erok1999 » January 28th, 2007 6:45 pm

I am very happy to read about your experience learning Japanese - it very inspirational! Probably like most of us here who go through these lessons and notes, it is easy to question your (own) ability and level. My greatest weakness is speaking. My ears are getting more tuned to the language and my comprehension has greatly improved - but when it comes to spitting out comprehensable words, it is a challenge. I wish I had to opportunity to visit Japan and emerse myself in it all. Thanks for your posting!

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 2nd, 2007 4:20 pm

Brody,
I just read your first piece, and the only thing that comes to mind is: you are my hero.
Here you are following a dream. A dream that we all share, and you were able to make it come true, clique or not.

The piece that you wrote, that isn't a blog, its more of a guide than anything. a guide of how to look at Japan through the eyes of someone, and you couldn't describe the feeling any better than: "Everything feels so different, I feel so foreign, so utterly alone in a vastly populated city.and everything you went through is what would expect, no less."

That one sentence pretty much wraps the feeling of being somewhere new, and very our of place. I look forward to this feeling and knowing that it will only get better from there on.

Thanks for the piece and putting on smile on faces. I cant wait till i read more of your journeys.

Doumo

Chansu

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » February 4th, 2007 10:06 am

Yeah, you gotta just have fun with learning this language. That is the most valuable mind set you can have in this situation.
The United States Department of State's Foreign Service (you know, the diplomats and people who work in the embassies overseas), classify Japanese as one of the hardest languages for native English speakers to master. They estimate it takes 2200 hours of class time to get to the point where you can use Japanese professionally. The people they train get two years of Japanese instruction, with approximately 5-6 hours a day in class and then an addition 3-4 hours of self-guided study each night, with weekends off. Other languages in the same category as Japanese are Chinese, Korean, and Arabic, but Japanese is noted as being harder than those other languages. The languages in the lowest categories, such as Spanish, only require 450 hours of class time. Be proud that you're learning one of the hardest languages in the world!
I didn't post that information to discourage you. I actually think it can be a great help. I was very depressed for a while that I was not doing better at Japanese. After all, I have mostly finished my bachelor's degree in Japanese, and studied Japanese intensely for over three years. Yet despite that, I was barely competent. I thought I was just stupid. I read a great article though that argued that the reason many Americans don't speak foreign languages is that they don't get enough formal instruction. It posted the above data about the Foreign Service and then compared that to American universities. At my school, we took 6 credits of Japanese classes a semester, meaning we were in Japanese class 6 hours a week. Times that by the 15-17 week semesters, and you're getting about 100 class hours a semester. With a four-year degree, you're getting about 800 class hours. Now, compare that to the 2200 you need. I was greatly relieved to find that out. It really allowed me to relax and realize I just need to give it time and have fun. Anyway my point is: know that you are in for the long haul with Japanese and don't get stressed. Just have fun. It's all worth it.
Also, don't be thinking so much that you HAVE to get to Japan to learn Japanese. The internet is revolutionizing how people can learn foreign languages. There are four areas: reading, writing, speaking, and listening, that you need to practice to get fluent. You can do all those easily on the internet: you can easily buy your favorite Japanese books or manga to read and your favorite movies or anime for listening practice, and for writing all you need is pen and paper. As for speaking, there are more and more language exchange websites popping up such as www.xlingo.com wehre you can find Japanese learning English who you can meet with regularly on Skype of MSN Messenger and practice speaking with.
As for me, even though I'm in Japan, I learn 95% by means of the internet. It is very hard to find people to practice speaking Japanese with you if you don't speak fluent Japanese already. I mostly try to use Xlingo to practice. Don't get me wrong, it's incredible to be in Japan and you get to try out everything you've learned in a real world situation. But as for the learning itself, you dont' NEED to be in Japan. But then again you don't get to have crazy adventures.
And now on to the crazy adventures: :twisted:
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » February 4th, 2007 10:37 am

You know, I like sushi and all. I think rice is delicious and it's oh so healthy, but dammit, I'm a man, a red-blooded American man, and going on now four months without a good piece of meat to clamp my teeth into has started to mess with my brain. I no longer dream about girls at night; now I dream about steak.
Right after Christmas my friend and I snuck down to Osaka to work out some issues with our passports. On the way, I noticed an Outback steakhouse, which delighted me to highest glee. My eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas morning and I even squealed a little. I ran inside and stole a menu and was even more ecstatic to find that they served real American portions of food, none of this sparrow's rations that send my stomach into violent reals of untorrented sobs. No! These were American sizes! The kind where you can't walk afterwards and the only remedy is a nice nap in front of a TV with your belt undone and your hand down your pants. I was ready to cry with rapture.
That was about two months into my study abroad, so the steak bug had not quite sunk its fangs into my taste buds yet, plus we were on a schedule, so I tucked away that salivating tidbit of meaty wonderfulness for a later day.
Now, in February, the read meat mirage had hit me with full force. I was actually seeing steaks floating in the air before, only to wisp away into so much ephemeral nothingness as I tried to sink my teeth into them. I could think of nothing but steaks; steaks and ribs and french fries and ice cream. I wandered the halls in the early morning, moaning for rib eyes and t-bones and A-1. When I told my friend he looked delicious this morning, he suggested we head to Outback. I had no objections.
(In my defense, I wish to explain: being a man, I do not cook. I do not like to cook, I do not like to think about cooking, I do not even like saying the word cooking. I eat the majority of my meals at the school cafeteria where all I have to do is point at food I want, grunt, rub my stomach, and someone puts it on my tray. However, the cafeteria had closed now that we were on spring vacation, and after two weeks of this, I was eating no more than uncooked rice and peanut butter [oh and of course the blessed Mega Mac. Sweet succulent beauty from on high! More on that later!], and I was getting to the point where the act of slabbering peanut butter on rice was no longer appetizing. Strange, right? Of course there are restaurants, but who has the energy to go to restaurants? And besides, it was still just noodles and water or whatever. So yeah that's my excuse. I'm the epitome of the Carl's Jr. man)
We left for Osaka at 10 in the morning, hoping to be eating by noon. I couldn't sleep the night before--I was too excited--so I drew pictures of steak and listened to songs written about meat. 10 rolled around and I skipped delightedly to the station. On the train I told every Japanese person I met that my name was Brody and I was going to go eat steak!
Finally, finally, finally! We arrived in Osaka. I was like Fred Flinstone, I could almost see the vapor trails of steaky wonderness tangible in the air, and I fluttered feet off the ground as I flew towards the restaurant.
Problem was, I was the one leading us to the restaurant. My friend, a big guy from tennessee, had never been there before. So I was the leader. It may have been prudent for us to remember before we left that I am the world's absolute worst with directions and the act of getting to places ( I constantly get lost getting home for school. I have no idea in hell how I managed to get from Utah to Japan. Why am I not in Antarctica now?), yet we didn't and it was only when the restaurant had magically disappeared from where I led us to that we realized we might have a problem.
I was sure I knew where it was. I may forget about tests, or paying credit cards, or my girlfriend's brithday, or her name, but I don't forget about where steak houses are. I refused to ask directions, I KNEW WHERE IT WAS DAMMIT!
We walked around for a half-hour more, I positive it was just around the next turn. It wasn't.
Eventually we got in a taxi and I said in Japanese, "do you know where the steakhouse called Outback is?" and he said "yeah, great place!" "Hurray!" I said, "Time for steaky delight!" and he smiled, and I smiled, and it was a real moment of international understanding and brotherhood. He asked what street it was on, and I remembered it was Sakura-somethin or other, so I said, "sakuraghhryrhgy" coughing at the end. He mumbled "sakuragawa?" and I said "sure!"
He drove.
ANd drove.
And drove.
Definitely wasn't right next to the station like I had so distinctly remembered. Hmm.

On the way, he talked to us in very colloquial Japanese, mostly about how he went to California once and how he had liked the chunky American women he had seen at Disneyland. Hmm.
Finally, "tada!" he shouted and we jumped out of the taxi. "Hurray! We're here!" We ran in and asked for steak. Turned out he had driven us to Autoworks, not Outback, and they apparently do not serve steak at car repair centers in Japan. Hmmm.
We made our way back to the original train station forty dollars worth of yen lighter and finally asked at a visitor's booth where the restaurant was. They had a map. We followed the map. We got to the restaurant. We did not get lost. I like maps.
No! Screw maps! I don't use maps! I'm a man!
Still, we got to the restaurant and I was both relieved to finally have my steak and that my friend (6'5" 220 lbs. and a karate expert) was not going to murder me with his kungfu-etry because we had to go home without eating because I was too stupid to bring the menu along that had a huge color map on the back of it.
We ate a bloomin onion, six loafs of bread, two steaks, two slabs of ribs, countless french fries, and two huge mounds of ice cream between us. I think the Japanese girl serving us was slightly horrified. I tried to hit on her nonetheless. I think the barbecue sauce all over my face really brought out the color of my eyes.
They called a crane and we were dragged back to the train and rolled on. The Japanese are so nice! I was even more impressed that no one objected to when there on the train I pulled out my TV, undid my belt, and slept all the way home.

Beautiful, beautiful day. God bless steak.

(Edit: Sorry for all the grammar and spelling mistakes! Had no time to pay attention to them. Barely had time to write the post but thought you guys might like it. Had absolutely no time to write this edit, but the writer in me died a little seeing all the mistakes and this is the only way I can bring him from the grave. Sorry compadres! [I know Spanish!] :wink: )
Last edited by Brody on February 4th, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA パンク野郎

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » February 4th, 2007 11:05 am

Brody wrote:They estimate it takes 2200 hours of class time to get to the point where you can use Japanese professionally. The people they train get two years of Japanese instruction, with approximately 5-6 hours a day in class and then an addition 3-4 hours of self-guided study each night, with weekends off.

I did think this was taking me a long time. :wink: Good luck with the crazy adventures. Now what would 'crazy adventures' be in japanese? Maybe 冒険 (bouken) for adventure. Now for crazy.. Maybe 異常 (ijou) so we have ブロデイの異常な冒険。 Any good? :lol:

norgus
Been Around a Bit

Postby norgus » February 4th, 2007 11:46 am

「ブロディさんの変わった冒険」ってのはどうだ^^

Brody, your posts are so brilliantly written xD I just want to hear more of your adventures.

I was under the impression that you couldn't get proper steak and such in Japan, so you've opened my eyes somewhat.

Also, please write a book. lol

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 4th, 2007 1:22 pm

Brody wrote: Also, don't be thinking so much that you HAVE to get to Japan to learn Japanese. The internet is revolutionizing how people can learn foreign languages. There are four areas: reading, writing, speaking, and listening, that you need to practice to get fluent. You can do all those easily on the internet: you can easily buy your favorite Japanese books or manga to read and your favorite movies or anime for listening practice, and for writing all you need is pen and paper. As for speaking, there are more and more language exchange websites popping up such as www.xlingo.com wehre you can find Japanese learning English who you can meet with regularly on Skype of MSN Messenger and practice speaking with.
As for me, even though I'm in Japan, I learn 95% by means of the internet. It is very hard to find people to practice speaking Japanese with you if you don't speak fluent Japanese already. I mostly try to use Xlingo to practice. Don't get me wrong, it's incredible to be in Japan and you get to try out everything you've learned in a real world situation. But as for the learning itself, you dont' NEED to be in Japan. But then again you don't get to have crazy adventures.
And now on to the crazy adventures: :twisted:

Though, don't discount the cultural aspect to learning any language. I think there are things that you won't understand about Japanese without experiencing Japan first hand.

The best example I can come up with on a Sunday night is "mushi atsui"... I knew the English translation, but until I experienced Tokyo in August, I had no idea what it really meant.

And then there's the immersion factor. Living in rural Japan I don't hear English spoken most days and that's had a huge impact on the Japanese learning curve. (and the English forgetting curve... I was watching an American MTV program last night, and I could barely understand half of what the guy was saying.)

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 4th, 2007 9:46 pm

Brody wrote:You know, I like sushi and all. I think rice is delicious and it's oh so healthy, but dammit, I'm a man, a red-blooded American man, and going on now four months without a good piece of meat to clamp my teeth into has started to mess with my brain. I no longer dream about girls at night; now I dream about steak.
Right after Christmas my friend and I snuck down to Osaka to work out some issues with our passports. On the way, I noticed an Outback steakhouse, which delighted me to highest glee. My eyes lit up like a child's on Christmas morning and I even squealed a little. I ran inside and stole a menu and was even more ecstatic to find that they served real American portions of food, none of this sparrow's rations that send my stomach into violent reals of untorrented sobs. No! These were American sizes! The kind where you can't walk afterwards and the only remedy is a nice nap in front of a TV with your belt undone and your hand down your pants. I was ready to cry with rapture.
That was about two months into my study abroad, so the steak bug had not quite sunk its fangs into my taste buds yet, plus we were on a schedule, so I tucked away that salivating tidbit of meaty wonderfulness for a later day.
Now, in February, the read meat mirage had hit me with full force. I was actually seeing steaks floating in the air before, only to wisp away into so much ephemeral nothingness as I tried to sink my teeth into them. I could think of nothing but steaks; steaks and ribs and french fries and ice cream. I wandered the halls in the early morning, moaning for rib eyes and t-bones and A-1. When I told my friend he looked delicious this morning, he suggested we head to Outback. I had no objections.
(In my defense, I wish to explain: being a man, I do not cook. I do not like to cook, I do not like to think about cooking, I do not even like saying the word cooking. I eat the majority of my meals at the school cafeteria where all I have to do is point at food I want, grunt, rub my stomach, and someone puts it on my tray. However, the cafeteria had closed now that we were on spring vacation, and after two weeks of this, I was eating no more than uncooked rice and peanut butter [oh and of course the blessed Mega Mac. Sweet succulent beauty from on high! More on that later!], and I was getting to the point where the act of slabbering peanut butter on rice was no longer appetizing. Strange, right? Of course there are restaurants, but who has the energy to go to restaurants? And besides, it was still just noodles and water or whatever. So yeah that's my excuse. I'm the epitome of the Carl's Jr. man)
We left for Osaka at 10 in the morning, hoping to be eating by noon. I couldn't sleep the night before--I was too excited--so I drew pictures of steak and listened to songs written about meat. 10 rolled around and I skipped delightedly to the station. On the train I told every Japanese person I met that my name was Brody and I was going to go eat steak!
Finally, finally, finally! We arrived in Osaka. I was like Fred Flinstone, I could almost see the vapor trails of steaky wonderness tangible in the air, and I fluttered feet off the ground as I flew towards the restaurant.
Problem was, I was the one leading us to the restaurant. My friend, a big guy from tennessee, had never been there before. So I was the leader. It may have been prudent for us to remember before we left that I am the world's absolute worst with directions and the act of getting to places ( I constantly get lost getting home for school. I have no idea in hell how I managed to get from Utah to Japan. Why am I not in Antarctica now?), yet we didn't and it was only when the restaurant had magically disappeared from where I led us to that we realized we might have a problem.
I was sure I knew where it was. I may forget about tests, or paying credit cards, or my girlfriend's brithday, or her name, but I don't forget about where steak houses are. I refused to ask directions, I KNEW WHERE IT WAS DAMMIT!
We walked around for a half-hour more, I positive it was just around the next turn. It wasn't.
Eventually we got in a taxi and I said in Japanese, "do you know where the steakhouse called Outback is?" and he said "yeah, great place!" "Hurray!" I said, "Time for steaky delight!" and he smiled, and I smiled, and it was a real moment of international understanding and brotherhood. He asked what street it was on, and I remembered it was Sakura-somethin or other, so I said, "sakuraghhryrhgy" coughing at the end. He mumbled "sakuragawa?" and I said "sure!"
He drove.
ANd drove.
And drove.
Definitely wasn't right next to the station like I had so distinctly remembered. Hmm.

On the way, he talked to us in very colloquial Japanese, mostly about how he went to California once and how he had liked the chunky American women he had seen at Disneyland. Hmm.
Finally, "tada!" he shouted and we jumped out of the taxi. "Hurray! We're here!" We ran in and asked for steak. Turned out he had driven us to Autoworks, not Outback, and they apparently do not serve steak at car repair centers in Japan. Hmmm.
We made our way back to the original train station forty dollars worth of yen lighter and finally asked at a visitor's booth where the restaurant was. They had a map. We followed the map. We got to the restaurant. We did not get lost. I like maps.
No! Screw maps! I don't use maps! I'm a man!
Still, we got to the restaurant and I was both relieved to finally have my steak and that my friend (6'5" 220 lbs. and a karate expert) was not going to murder me with his kungfu-etry because we had to go home without eating because I was too stupid to bring the menu along that had a huge color map on the back of it.
We ate a bloomin onion, six loafs of bread, two steaks, two slabs of ribs, countless french fries, and two huge mounds of ice cream between us. I think the Japanese girl serving us was slightly horrified. I tried to hit on her nonetheless. I think the barbecue sauce all over my face really brought out the color of my eyes.
They called a crane and we were dragged back to the train and rolled on. The Japanese are so nice! I was even more impressed that no one objected to when there on the train I pulled out my TV, undid my belt, and slept all the way home.

Beautiful, beautiful day. God bless steak.

(Edit: Sorry for all the grammar and spelling mistakes! Had no time to pay attention to them. Barely had time to write the post but thought you guys might like it. Had absolutely no time to write this edit, but the writer in me died a little seeing all the mistakes and this is the only way I can bring him from the grave. Sorry compadres! [I know Spanish!] :wink: )

Brody you rule dude. Keep it up.

From one man to another : STEAKS RULEZ ALL!!!!!

Please continue to post your adventures. Your peices is what I look forward after a long week. Doumo

Ja Ne

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 5th, 2007 3:04 pm

Eww... Steak...

What I'm afraid of is that I won't be able to find any falafel, nan, or REAL curry (so spicy that it induces rectal hemorrhage, not that wimpy, Japanese sweet stuff...) in Oita pref.

PS: uncooked rice? Dude, that's hardcore...

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 5th, 2007 7:46 pm

I know this is very bleak but hey I rather ask then be heartbroken; what are the chances of finding some spanish places that serve good ol rice, beans, and grilled chicken, with a dash of Adobo, a pinch of sazon, and a maybe some penil. Oh man im getting hungry just thinking out lol

Ja ne

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » February 6th, 2007 12:10 am

In any of the big cities there are going to be loads of ethnic restaurants. In fact, the most authentic Thai food I've had outside of Thailand was found a five minute walk from my apartment in Chiba. Though, often times you'll find that ethnic foods have been adapted to Japanese tastes (beyond recognition sometimes... a hotdog in your burrito anyone?)

Indian food is quite popular here and better than the American versions. You need to request spicy, and may find that it takes a trip or two to the same restaurant before they take your request seriously. (Though, there's a place in Tokyo who's standard curry is almost too spicy for me.)

Spanish/Mexican food is harder to find. But, there is a huge Portuguese population here, and the food to go with it.

Bloodborne
New in Town

Postby Bloodborne » February 6th, 2007 12:48 am

I just read through the whole thread, wonderful stuff Brody! I'm currently in the planning stages of a study abroad program in Japan, and it's great to see some well-written posts on what it's like to be an exchange student over there. I can only hope my experience will be at least half as crazy and fun as yours. I look forward to more posts in the future!

どうもありがとう。

Outkast
Expert on Something

Postby Outkast » February 6th, 2007 2:25 am

annie wrote:Indian food is quite popular here and better than the American versions. You need to request spicy, and may find that it takes a trip or two to the same restaurant before they take your request seriously. (Though, there's a place in Tokyo who's standard curry is almost too spicy for me.)

Good news to hear! I'm hoping that this extends to the smaller city of Oita...

laughinghyena21
Established Presence

Postby laughinghyena21 » February 6th, 2007 8:02 pm

annie wrote:In any of the big cities there are going to be loads of ethnic restaurants. In fact, the most authentic Thai food I've had outside of Thailand was found a five minute walk from my apartment in Chiba. Though, often times you'll find that ethnic foods have been adapted to Japanese tastes (beyond recognition sometimes... a hotdog in your burrito anyone?)

Indian food is quite popular here and better than the American versions. You need to request spicy, and may find that it takes a trip or two to the same restaurant before they take your request seriously. (Though, there's a place in Tokyo who's standard curry is almost too spicy for me.)

Spanish/Mexican food is harder to find. But, there is a huge Portuguese population here, and the food to go with it.

So what can you tell us what you have seen in Japan?

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”