Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japan Study Abroad

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 13th, 2006 1:35 pm

They do like to dress the part no matter what they're doing don't they?

What always impressed me is the idea of doing a good job, even if it is a McJob. There just seems to be a totally different work ethic and pride in what you're doing.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » November 14th, 2006 12:10 am

Brody wrote:I thought it was crazy how the workers at Mos Burger are detailed all the way down to their slipper/sandals, which are special Mos Burger ones...

I've generally found this to be the opposite. They wear the uniform, but they wear their own (often quite funky) socks and shoes. It seems to be the one means of expressing themselves inside the boundaries of their uniform.

Not sure about Mos Burger in particular though...

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » November 14th, 2006 6:02 am

Hmm, maybe they were. I just really noticed a few.

And Belton, I noticed the same thing, about how they seemed to actually like their jobs. My friends and I were commenting how opposite it was from our home countries, where we did all we could to screw up our jobs and make customers mad. For the most part, it was been quite eerie seeing people at, as you say, "Mcjobs," treating you as if you really mattered to them and doing their job with great effort. It got to the point where I really started to try examining it, trying to work in some aspect of the whole "nation over self" idea, but then I went to a donburi place on a beautiful Saturday and got treated just like in America. No one said hello to me when I entered, I had to get the person't attention to order, the food was dumped in front of me, and the workers really looked like they wanted to be some place else. I was relieved to see this. More and more, I see that people are kind of faking the happy work ethic.

Still, it is quite amazing. My friend from Ireland tells us how he and his friends worked at a sandwhich shop and actually fought off customers for fun so that they drank and smoked in the shop. Guess work ethic is relative.
AKA パンク野郎

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » November 27th, 2006 1:19 am

hahahaahaha

Sorry chap, we're closed. ;)

You have a digital camera man? Personally, *hint*, I think everyone is happy with pictures. Especially pictures of cute/hot/outrageously-gorgeous girls. :) And other types of pictures too. ;)

But keep the stories comin please. Especially practical matters like mini-bike, that fold up bike, or any other things a student abroad needs to know. I'm gonna be in Aomori next year, so you got one ear in america turned your way. :)

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » November 30th, 2006 7:46 am

Heh, sorry but I'm a cave man when it comes to computers. I'm not really sure how to post pictures. But trust me, you are going to DDDIIIIEEEE in ecstasy when you come to Japan. There are SO many beautiful women. My friends and I discuss this constantly and that, when compared to America, America has a greater amount of "9's" and "10's" but Japan has a far, far greater average of 6's, 7's, and 8's. In America you would see 10's more frequently but also lots of 2's and 3's, in Japan you get a far, far greater median centered around 7's and 8's. I now wear a neck brace from constantly looking quickly back after some nice...scenery. There's one part of campus the Japanese students call 楽園, "Paradise." It's where all the beautiful girls hang out. Let's just say it's the perfect name.
And my apologies to all the women reading this. It was an academic study and I'm appreciating all this from a culturally sensitive point of view. Or just blame it on my small male brain (or lack of brains). :D

Also, have you lived on your own before? I must admit that before I came, I hadn't. While it was nothing major, I did have to play catch up. It was rather easy to get the hang of laundry and cleaning and what not, but I did have to figure it out on my own. My one problem now is cooking. Right now, it's non-existant.
My mother always offered to teach me these things before I left, but I felt I knew everything. And like I said, it wasn't hard to figure out, but nonetheless, I do wish I had done a little more preparation.
AKA パンク野郎

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » November 30th, 2006 8:06 am

Ya, Im gonna have the same problem kinda. Living at home right now is easy, except I have to cook for myself. That means pasta or rice. If my mom cooked it would be fast food or pasta. But me and my girl are gonna practice cooking (every night to eat) when we get this place in 2 weeks, so hopefully I'll learn some good dishes.

So you've been in Japan now for more than a month right? Youre getting some play I hope. Would be a damn shame otherwise. Go out clubbing or whatever, find a super hot girl and seduce her. Don't forget to wear the gomu! :)

I can't wait till I go. Just counting the months. Crazy stuff happens in Japan. :) You just gotta make it happen. :)

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » November 30th, 2006 8:21 am

Oh! And before I forget.

I figured I wanted to devote myself entirely to Japanese, and would not want the distraction of English books or movies, etc, but I really appreciate having those things around.
My Japanese skills are getting good but they're not perfect. I still have lots of trouble following a song or movie or tv; it gets frustrating. Sometimes I just need something I CAN do without thinking, and having these English things around helps.
Also, take reminders of home. This was recommended to me. I thought this was incredibly stupid, that I was too tough to have cultural shock, but I'm glad I have them. Japan is very different from America, and I've come to find how deeply I love the American way of life. If for nothing else, I find this trip to be a life-changing experience for how it revealed this to me. America isn't just a place to live, it's a way to live, and of thinking. My friends and I constantly notice differences between peoples of different countries. I really feel now that America is part of my make-up and I miss being there. I could go far deeper into this aspect, but I sound chauvinistic enough right now and perhaps it doesn't apply to all people; I am rather idealistic. Yet don't get me wrong: I absolutely love this trip; I recommend a trip like this for everyone. It is a life-changing experience. Japan is a unique country and deeply fascinating. You could live here for years and never be able to pick your jaw up from the floor. I am thankful everyday that I made the choice to come here.
So now, at the point of rambling, I'll just sum up: Take reminders of home. Maybe you won't get cultural shock, maybe you will. Either way, they'll at least help decorate your room and Japanese friends will love them.
AKA パンク野郎

Solvi
Established Presence

Postby Solvi » November 30th, 2006 10:59 am

I love reading your stories, Brody! :)

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » November 30th, 2006 2:24 pm

8)

Im gonna take a few reminders. Some photos, snowboard, skateboard, surf movies, skate movies, comedy classics, and hopefully a new laptop full of music and movies. I'd bet you haven't even seen "Grandma's Boy" yet. Its 10x better than Half Baked! :D Funniest shit in a long time.

I think the thing Im going to miss the most is good herbals. I know some people over there, but last time I tried the quality was sometimes shotty. Thats gonna be culture shock having to drink alcohol all the time. I dunno about jpod people, but weed is much better than alcohol in my opinion. Cause trust me, surfing and snowboard both benifit from herbals in ways alcohol could never even hold a candle to. You haven't run into any of this (or any other) stuff out there have ya?

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » December 2nd, 2006 2:23 am

Just a note:
do not in any way, shape, or form, have anything to do with any drugs here in Japan. I am absolutely serious. At best you will be deported and banned from Japan. Most likely you will be sentenced to prison. It does not matter if you are a foreigner, you will most likely get jail time. The Japanese are deadly serious about drugs. Thus, no, I have not run across drugs, though yes, I have seen a few paraphernalia shops, the plant logo is pretty common, and I've seen lots of people who look like they would smoke, but I must emphasize: do not do drugs while you are here, or even be around them. Think about that before you come: will you be all right if you are cut off from them for a year? Marijuana can be addictive.
Anyway, off my high horse (sorry, I just wanted to emphasize how different it is between the US and Japan in regards to drugs. There is no leniency for first time offenders, so I want you to know that going in), don't worry about being forced to drink alcohol. I go out a lot, many times to bars, and the drinkers drink on self-preference. I've seen no obligation to drink. We've talked with Japanese friends about this and they say that is mostly just the salary men, and to me, it sounds like nothing more than what you would get if you gathered a bunch a young men together. I don't drink and I sometimes get people urging me a little, but it's nothing to the point of me being excluded if I don't drink; people still invite me all the time. You'll find that many Japanese don't drink as well, or if they do, it's only a few drinks. I've yet to see many Japanese get roaring drunk like my American friends do. Don't have worries about being forced to drink.

I've been here two and a half months. And I heard all those rumors that Japanese girls flock to foreigners and you could get a girl as soon as you step off the plane. And while I thought that would be awesome, I didn't believe it. And now that I'm here, I can readily give you the truth about it:

IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE.

...to an extent. The fact is that is nothing more than it is in America. College is, well, college, and full of many...free-minded girls. Just like in America. Gaijin enjoy a unique position in that they stand out so much here. It is both to their benefit and disservice. It screams that you speak English (even if you don't) and many of these young girls want some in to learning English (English is very fad here) and figure a gaijin boyfriend is the key. Also, it is very unique to date a foreigner and many girls want to be the one who does. Yet, on the downside, many people won't approach a gaijin, mostly because they're shy, and I still do feel that it would be extremely hard to be accepted here as more than an oddity. Still, all that said, it all depends on you. If you lead that kind of life in America where you have an easy time with girls, you'll probably lead it in Japan. If you don't have that kind of life in America, odds are you won't in Japan. Japan is no special land of desperate girls; it is just that you have a sort of advantage (in a way) of being a gaijin.
AKA パンク野郎

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » December 2nd, 2006 2:47 am

Heh, let's just call this story "What we got here is a problem of miscommunication."

The new James Bond movie opened in Japan last night (Friday), and let's just say, I was a little excited to go. I'm your average young male: I enjoy explosions, gun fights, hard-ass-etry, and cleavage, so starting last Sunday, when I saw the first sign promoting the movie here, I've been practicing my spy techniques. In high school, I actually set my career goal as: spy, and now that I've grown older and wiser, I know that is a dim possibility, but hey, I don't choose my dreams. Anyway, I've been sneaking up on friends, sending them coded text messages, taking the elevator to the fifth floor and then walking down the stairs to the third floor where my class is, naturally to thrown off any tails. I pretend to tie my shoes in crowds so I can look back and see who's following me. During class I hum the James Bond theme and Thursday night I actually had trouble sleeping with anticipation. You don't know how much it has helped my Japanese abilites talking about the new movie in Japanese.
So, Friday night rolls around and it's finally time to leave the dorm for the theater. I try taking a nap before, so I'll be wide awake during the movie (like that will be a problem), can't sleep, so instead I run down the halls, knocking on doors, yelling, "James Bond! James Bond!" The time comes and we set off on the bikes. I roar down the roads, leaving all the others behind, no longer able to wait. Once I have my ticket in hand, I'm fine, and we spend an hour or two before the movie at an arcade.
The movie was great. It was funny when we would laugh at jokes and the Japanese around us wouldn't. All of the jokes were word plays that didn't translate well, so we had to explain. After the movie, I had my James Bond fill, so I was back to normal. As we were leisurely riding back at midnight, some police were standing in the middle of an intersection, which we were riding down the middle of. I was at the front of the pack and one of the police men stepped forward and with a friendly smile held his hand out to the side and said something to me. I couldn't here what he said, but assumed the road up ahead was bad (why else would they be standing, blocking it) and he wanted me to use the side street. I said thank you, smiled, and turned.
Well I was wrong. He chased after me and yanked me to a stop, grabbing the back of my bike. He started speaking rapid Japanese, but I guess when he was my shocked face, he realized I merely had not understood. He made me get off my bike and go off a ways with him, then he checked out my gaijin card and asked me who I was, where I lived, etc. Right now I was freaked out: it was my first attempted escape from police, albeit unknowingly. Luckily it was the dead of night, so he couldn't see how read my face was. My Japanese wouldn't work for the life of me, but I got across the message that I was an exchange student, where I lived, that the bike was mine, and that we were going home. He was really nice though and the two policemen wished us well on our ways.
Afterwards, my friends gave me a hard time and told everyone I tried to run from the cops. They were sure he had said something to the effect of "Please stop" and told me I was an idiot for not getting it, but to my credit, I couldn't hear what he said and he was holding his hand at an angle, which looked to me as if he were indicating the side street, not the action of stopping. My friends and I had a long debate about hand signals and I adamantly hold out that, had his been held properly upright, it would have communicated the idea of stop, rather than the miscommunication of "go to the right" which is hand angled to the right suggested. My friends felt they then had their proof that I was an idiot.

So thus, I can now add to my long list of accomplishments that I have attempted escape from police in a foreign country.
AKA パンク野郎

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » December 4th, 2006 7:20 pm

LOL, nobody ever teaches body language so that hand signal lesson is pretty funny. I woulda done the same thing as you man. :)

As for the happa, I only fly under the radar. But I got some info from friends that has put me much at ease. So no worries eh. :)

osekihan
Been Around a Bit

Postby osekihan » December 27th, 2006 8:24 am

けこおもしろいですね。三週間はどこにいきましたが。

Tom
Established Presence

Postby Tom » December 30th, 2006 8:55 am

私はらい学期日本で勉強する予定ですから、このポストはすごくおもしろくてゆうようですよ。 どうもありがとうございます。今、日本語で上手に話せますか。いつまで日本で勉強しますか。
By the way, I made it to Japan

Brody
Expert on Something

Postby Brody » January 1st, 2007 7:11 am

Yeah, the Japanese is improving incredibly. It does get very frustrating though: one forgets how vast a language is. I hear talk of people who've become fluent in Japanese in a year (though I've never met them; I've met people who become good speakers in a year, but that's more speaking simple Japanese). Just remember to truly get Japanese down, you're looking at a long time of studying.

But it's definitely an adventure of a lifetime. Do all you can to make sure you can study here.
AKA パンク野郎

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”