a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

is this right?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570
Established Presence

is this right?

Postby rayman.the.one.and.only1_498570 » November 26th, 2014 5:30 am

So I was translating a song from Japanese into English and there were two lines that confused me a bit. The lines in the song say "Jiyuu na hito wa bukiyou de. Jiyuu na hito wa fuan de."
So the first part of this is simple enough "free people" but the bukiyou de & fuan de have confused me a bit. When I looked up the word Bukiyou it said that the word meant clumsy or awkward, and when I looked up fuan it said it meant anxious or anxiety. This would make the two lines "The free people are clumsy/awkward." and "The free people are Anxious" But I saw a translation of the song that translated it as "it is those who are free who are stumbling" and "it is those who are free who are insecure" So I was wondering if that was the correct translation. Does で change the sentence at all? Or is the other translation just a more poetic way to phrase the direct translation?

よろしくおねがいします :)

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: is this right?

Postby community.japanese » November 30th, 2014 11:11 am

rayman.the.one.and.only1 san,

konnichiwa.
In my opinion when you translate lyric, you should not stick to direct translation but should understand what the lyricist wanted to tell in the lyric.
I don’t know the title of the song and other lines so it’s hard to guess the whole lyric…
If you want me to help you, please provide me with other lines, the title, the lyricist, singers and so on.

Yuki  由紀
Team JapanesePod101.com
Get 40% OFF

Return to “Learn All About Japanese”