a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Ok, I need some help....please?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Ok, I need some help....please?

Postby ryowarrior18 » October 9th, 2009 8:15 pm

I want to make vocab flashcards using Kanji, with furigana readings, so I can learn the readings as well as the vocab.

Is there ANY dictionary or resource at all that can give me a word in Kanji, with furigana readings that separates the Kanji readings in the compounds?

Example:

Sapporo: 札幌
(さっぽろ)

But where does one Kanji's reading end, and the other begin?

Is it
(さっ * ぽろ)
or
(さっぽ * ろ)?

Does anyone know of any dictionary/website?

I know someone posted a topic asking for something like this that I read in the past, but after 2 hours of searching the forums, I can't find it.

Or is this whole method kind of pointless? Should I just memorize the words as a complete whole?

Thanks so much for your advice, guys! You're lifesavers!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » October 10th, 2009 4:30 pm

Personally, I'd just memorize the words as a complete whole. As your vocabulary grows, you'll get to where you can divide the characters out without even thinking about it. For your example, however, the characters would be さつ and ほろ. When put together they undergo a pronunciation shift from さつー>さっ and ほろー>ぽろ. This happens a lot with つ in the middle, for example 出発 (しゅつ+はつ=しゅっぱつ) and 決心 (けつ+しん=けっしん).
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
gerald_ford
Expert on Something

Postby gerald_ford » October 10th, 2009 9:02 pm

Psy wrote:Personally, I'd just memorize the words as a complete whole. As your vocabulary grows, you'll get to where you can divide the characters out without even thinking about it. For your example, however, the characters would be さつ and ほろ. When put together they undergo a pronunciation shift from さつー>さっ and ほろー>ぽろ. This happens a lot with つ in the middle, for example 出発 (しゅつ+はつ=しゅっぱつ) and 決心 (けつ+しん=けっしん).

I totally have to agree with Psy on this one. I did the other approach where I bought the 300 basic flashcards from White Rabbit press. The cards were excellent, and I spent two months really learning them, only to forget some of it later. It was time well-spent, but I found that when I used something like Anki or JPod to memorize whole words, the "on-yomi" readings started becoming a lot more obvious.

For example if you learn three words like:

運送 (unsō, delivery, shipping)
送金 (sōkin, remittance, money)
放送 (hōsō, broadcast)

You can soon deduce two things: 送 always refers to sending something, and it's usually read as .

So, the key is to start learning a lot of vocabulary. As you learn various words, you begin to make mental connections, and it makes it a lot easier to learn various kanji, and you are learning practical vocabulary.

I don't want to discourage the use of flashcards, but just to point out that without the practical application, it's not enough. You'll forget them before long. You need to supplement vocabulary study with kanji study. The combination will prove most fruitful. Good luck!
--Gerald Ford: Pirate-Viking-Monk in training.

Blog: http://nihonshukyo.wordpress.com/

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » October 11th, 2009 12:51 am

I remember having similar doubts at some point, but as people have already said, it's not an issue at all after you've been studying for a while. So just stick to learning the words as a whole :)

ryowarrior18
Been Around a Bit

Postby ryowarrior18 » October 11th, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm going to do what you guys suggested, and learn vocabulary words as a whole. It makes a lot more sense the way you explained it.

Thanks again!

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”