a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Making cards for Anki - Jpod PDF issue

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

artistatlarge
New in Town

Making cards for Anki - Jpod PDF issue

Postby artistatlarge » September 15th, 2009 9:26 pm

So I am going through Beginner Season 1, and using the lessons to make cards in anki. It would be perfect, but for the PDF style used in these lessons. They don't allow for a cut and paste, so I have to hand type everything, and it takes a great deal of time. My questions -

1- Is there some type of PDF converter that can change it so I can do this? I have a mac book, and little computer knowledge so if you have an answer PLEASE use a simple explanation. I often can't follow the tech speak people casually throw around on forums.
ありがとう

2- If not, can someone clue me in as to another place, Lessons wise, to go through? I think that many of the seasons use a different PDF that does allow cut and paste, but I'm not sure where to start. I really like the i+1 thing I'm getting with Beginner season 1, but if there is a comparable season that I can switch to, I'll do that. I'm on Lesson 55.

3 - Does anyone know what season/lessons use the PDF that allows cut and paste, and the ones that don't? I checked deep into the Beginner season one PDF's and even the later ones are the same formate. Is there a historic point where the PDF's changed? And how different are the seasons, with regards to content? I like to follow things from the beginning, Because the i+1/continuity (i.e. new lessons using vocabulary from old lessons to reenforce the use), and the building grammatical points, but maybe I should switch seasons. Also, at what point do you jump off to Beginner intermediate? Do you need to go through all 195 lessons? It would be nice to hear from people with direct experience of the lessons.

I know I need to just go check out the lessons, but I posted this just in case there is someone out there that can give me a direct answer about the above issues.

ありがとう皆さん、頑張って!!!

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » September 16th, 2009 1:22 am

Hello, and welcome to the forums!

Reading through this thread may help answer your questions about the PDF change:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3602

The PDFs were changed to a new format in October 2008 to one which allows you to copy and paste text. All lessons after October 24, 2008 have PDFs in the new format.

I'm not sure about a PDF converter, but maybe someone else here has some information about that :)

Another season you might want to try is the Nihongo Dojo story arc of the Newbie series. (They start with Newbie lesson #31 in July 2007). This series is also linear so that they build on one another.
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get your free gifts of the month
artistatlarge
New in Town

Postby artistatlarge » September 16th, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks for the response Jessi :)

I think the Newbie series is aiming a bit low for me. I have listened to some of them, including 5 or 6 from Nihongo Dojo, and there are some new things there for me to learn. But The Beginner Lessons seem to hold a bit more per lesson. I really like the progression in season one, but I am also wanting to "catch up" to current materials being released, and I fear it will never happen. One thought I have is to jump into season 4.

Are the Newbie lessons "dumbed down" kanji wise? I like the idea of Nihongo Dojo, but I really want as much kanji as I can get (why learn the word without it's kanji at the same time is my philosophy). I am not sure what my "level" is, but I don't think newbie is accurate....somewhere in the middle beginner is my guess, as I have finished Pimsleur Intermediate, RTK1, 60-70 jpod lessons and am right at home with Hiragana (Katakana needs some polishing). I probably know 400-500 words (rough guess), and do the Ajatt sentence SRS method (as opposed to vocab lists). I am somewhat comfortable with basic grammar, and the overall flow of Japanese.

Sorry to ramble, but I just want to explain more accurately where I'm at, because I'm hoping someone who's been there, and is familiar with the lessons on this site, can share there thoughts about the best course to take material wise.

salivia_baker
Been Around a Bit

Postby salivia_baker » November 2nd, 2009 2:08 am

I also do some decks for Anki and when working with the pdfs of the older lessons I actually just get the additional informations from there and the vocab from the learning centre, which allows copy/past.
(btw. we're overlapping there a bit since I am working on the beginner series as well. But I only do this deck only for me right now and add cards as I go through the series.)

For anyone who is interested what Decks I have done and on what I am working on. here is a list including ShareKeys.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”