a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Children's kanji workbooks

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Children's kanji workbooks

Postby untmdsprt » August 24th, 2009 1:29 am

The other day I was out with my Japanese boyfriend, and we were in a bookstore. He took me to the elementary school section where they have a lot of kanji workbooks. He suggested that I start using these workbooks as another way to learn Japanese.

My current level is about the same as grades 1 - 3. I will buy one of these books when I have a chance, and will post a title and possibly a pic. If it has an ISBN number, I will post that also so everyone can try to search for it online.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » August 24th, 2009 9:01 am

I recommend having a look at the books by 下村昇
There are inexpensive kanji references and workbooks for each of the 6 grades.
He has an interesting system for remembering a character based on its graphical etymology and breaking down the kanji into smaller elements to make a sort of spelling rhyme.
He also authored the doreamon 1006 kanji book, which is convenient as it's a single book but the detail of his other books is better.

The kanken step books are also worth looking at. They're Yellow and Blue but I think you'll find them in the adult section rather than the schoolbooks despite the majority being for school level kanji. 10, 9, 8 級 coressspond to Grades 1, 2, 3. The kanken tests could provide you with a target for kanji study too. Since you (untmdsprt) work at a school you could probably sit it there ask the 国語 teacher.

What I have found about schoolbooks is the vocabulary tends to be at a higher level than a second language learner might have. Maybe it raises your game but it's something to be aware of.

Get 40% OFF Forever Discount
sinbadx81
Been Around a Bit

Postby sinbadx81 » November 11th, 2009 9:10 am

Another good, cheap source for kanji study in Japan are the daiso kanji review books for elemenetary school kids. I don't know if this chain is everywhere in Japan, but basically it is a 100 yen shop. I imagine some of the other 100 yen shops may carry similar books. They're not a great source if you don't know some of the basics on writing kanji, but I've found if you have a fair reading level it can help you practice your writing.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”