a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

The easiest way I've found to learn Japanese

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

hexfire
New in Town

The easiest way I've found to learn Japanese

Postby hexfire » August 19th, 2009 8:22 pm

I've gone through a lot of material over the years to learn languages. It's a bit of a hobby and I've found something that I actually like. So I'm here to give you a top 2 of my favorites when it comes to learning Japanese.

My #1 favorite is Pimsleur Japanese. Everyone's probably heard this one and it's a classic learning tool. For Japanese I preferred Pimsleur over any other audio lessons. When I was studying Mandarin for example I went with Michel Thomas. They did an awesome job with tones. Libraries usually stock up on Pimsleur so if you want to give it a try you can try looking there first.

And my #2 favorite being YesJapan. If you were a member once but left because it seemed a little hard and unorganized you might try taking another look now. The website is nice and clean and I found everything to be very helpful. If you've never been to YesJapan before let me give you a brief run through.

-Dictionaries
-Flashcards
-Variety of matching games
-Grammar notes
-Cultural notes
-Phrases with audio files
-Vocabulary lists
-Tons of lessons
-Hiragana/Katakana Lessons

The best feature I like about this is you can choose how much hiragana/katakana you know so you can learn the lessons according to your knowledge. There's also videos on there. They're kinda goofy and you have to pay extra for them. Personally I was fine with the just the lessons, but whatever floats your boat. There's a ton of stuff so if you want to take a look there's a tour. www.YesJapan.com

There was a teacher online 2 years ago that actually taught you Japanese through IM/skype chat. He'd give you a lesson and you'd work through it and do the homework and email it to him and he'd email it back with corrections or talk to you personally if you had questions. He charged 40 dollars for 40 lessons but his one-one service was awesome. I wanted to put him in my top 3, but alas, I couldn't find him again.

Hope these helped you get started. I know they've helped me a heck of a lot. Studying by yourself can be hard. Just keep at it and don't give up.
Last edited by hexfire on August 20th, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hblzr
New in Town

RE: The easiest way I've found to learn Japanese

Postby hblzr » August 20th, 2009 12:32 pm

Hexfire,

It's disingenuous of you to pose as a person trying to help others when in fact you are promoting a product you receive commissions on. Your Clickbank hop link is clearly evident in the Rocket Japanese link and your review sounds like a sales letter.

Your Rocket Japanese product is not even in the same class as Japanesepod101. It's an insult to all the JPod's members intelligence that you spam this forum under the guise of being helpful.

You also seem to be devoid of any ethics and morals. Why are you here to steal the years of hard work that the Jpod organization has done? The members are here because Jpod spent blood, sweat, tears and money to provide a superior quality service and product. Jpod's free service out classes all the paid junk you're peddling.

You probaly learned this forum post tactic from some internet marketing "guru". Get a new mentor because with this spam tactic you are using you will always be hustling for business. Would you rather be a used car salesman or a Soichiro Honda?

Please find more meaning to your business and life.

Mark

P.S. You are violating Clickbank's terms of service and I will be reporting you to them.

Get your free gifts of the month
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » August 20th, 2009 8:35 pm

Busted. I'm happy with my free version of Anki anyway :lol:

hblzr
New in Town

Re: The easiest way I've found to learn Japanese

Postby hblzr » August 21st, 2009 7:38 am

Hexfire,

So you've edited your post and removed the Number 1 Rocket Language review.You only confirmed that you were just trying to sell something and not really trying to help people with your post.

As Javizy so appropriately stated "busted"!.

Today, your number 1 choice was yesterday's number 2 choice.

How can anyone believe anything you write about?

In fact not once do you mention why any of your choices is the easiest way to learn Japanese. You even contradict yourself in your #2 choice by saying that it "seemed a little hard and unorganized", huh? How does that relate to your subject line?

As a businessman, it pains me to see a person engaging in questionable business practices. In the spirit of helping a fellow man, I have a suggestion that I think may help you. Buy this book on Amazon - Ethics for the Real World: Creating a Personal Code to Guide Decisions in Work and Life (Hardcover) You will be a better person for it.

For now, do us all a favor and stay away from making anymore Japanese language recommendations, you know as well as I do that you never SERIOUSLY used any of the products you were recommending.

Mark

hexfire wrote:I've gone through a lot of material over the years to learn languages. It's a bit of a hobby and I've found something that I actually like. So I'm here to give you a top 2 of my favorites when it comes to learning Japanese.

My #1 favorite is Pimsleur Japanese. Everyone's probably heard this one and it's a classic learning tool. For Japanese I preferred Pimsleur over any other audio lessons. When I was studying Mandarin for example I went with Michel Thomas. They did an awesome job with tones. Libraries usually stock up on Pimsleur so if you want to give it a try you can try looking there first.

And my #2 favorite being YesJapan. If you were a member once but left because it seemed a little hard and unorganized you might try taking another look now. The website is nice and clean and I found everything to be very helpful. If you've never been to YesJapan before let me give you a brief run through.

-Dictionaries
-Flashcards
-Variety of matching games
-Grammar notes
-Cultural notes
-Phrases with audio files
-Vocabulary lists
-Tons of lessons
-Hiragana/Katakana Lessons

The best feature I like about this is you can choose how much hiragana/katakana you know so you can learn the lessons according to your knowledge. There's also videos on there. They're kinda goofy and you have to pay extra for them. Personally I was fine with the just the lessons, but whatever floats your boat. There's a ton of stuff so if you want to take a look there's a tour. www.YesJapan.com

There was a teacher online 2 years ago that actually taught you Japanese through IM/skype chat. He'd give you a lesson and you'd work through it and do the homework and email it to him and he'd email it back with corrections or talk to you personally if you had questions. He charged 40 dollars for 40 lessons but his one-one service was awesome. I wanted to put him in my top 3, but alas, I couldn't find him again.

Hope these helped you get started. I know they've helped me a heck of a lot. Studying by yourself can be hard. Just keep at it and don't give up.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 21st, 2009 9:17 am

I saw what he had written before he deleted it. First of all, any mention of Japanese related stuff should be in addition to, not in place of Japanesepod101. Good for you that you like Rocket Japanese. More power to you if it helps you learn the language quicker. On the other hand, how does it help the average Japanesepod101 listener? Both RocketJapanese and YesJapan look like they need to be on Amazon, and marketed to beginners. How would these products even help listeners like Belton, Psy, and Javizy?

Why do you even bother with Pimsleur? Sure it's good for what it does, but it's also extremely boring to listen to for any length of time! It should be a supplement to whatever main things you're using to learn Japanese.

My last point is that your warez will never have one thing that Jpod101 has a lot of: talent!! I'm maybe between the beginner and lower intermediate sections, but I love listening to Naomi-sensei and Eric-san in the Newbie section when they talk about the current lesson. They are a hoot to listen to! :D

This community has a wonderful bunch of followers because we all have a common goal: to be fluent in Japanese for whatever reason. I'd hate to see it become like other sites that have to police every comment someone wants to make.
Last edited by untmdsprt on August 24th, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

chinz
New in Town

Postby chinz » August 21st, 2009 2:38 pm

i saw the post before he edited... and i followed his link to take a look at rocket japanese. Conclusion after making a little comparison: i still prefer japanesepod! I agree with untmdsprt... I wouldnt have minded, if that has been a genuine recommendation of useful resources... but it turned out to be earning commissions from clicks... which i feel is not right... thx for pointing out the underlying agenda, hblzr.

Return to “Japanese Resources & Reviews”