a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Some minor concerns

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Screw
New in Town

Some minor concerns

Postby Screw » December 28th, 2008 6:27 pm

I plan on going to Japan in a little over a year. I am very much enjoying studying the language and culture, hoping my trip will be just as fun and interesting.

This being said, i have a few small quesions...

One regarding beach etiquette in Japan. I live very close to beaches and go running on them early in the morning and would like to do so while in Japan. (i will be going in july)

Also, i am covered in tattoos.... arms, legs, etc.... most are cute and comical. I find very little talk about opinion of tattoos in Japan, so some opinions on how much i should try to hide them will be helpfull. (i don't want to offend anyone or be turned down at the door because of them)

ThanKs!

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby jkid » January 2nd, 2009 3:13 pm

Tattoos are still viewed negativity overall in Japan. Although as pointed out in other threads on the subject people are starting to 'lighten up'.

Get your free gifts of the month
Hikaritennyo
Been Around a Bit

Postby Hikaritennyo » April 23rd, 2009 8:22 pm

Tattoos may be looked at negatively for Japanese, but foreigners may be considered cool with tattoos. Kind of a double standard, but tattoos mean Yakuza for Japanese.

Americans with tattoos will get alot of looks, and maybe a few questions, but they already consider you a foreigner- i.e. different. If you're still concerned, wear a shirt.

fufutw
New in Town

Postby fufutw » April 25th, 2009 6:25 pm

I am not very sure, but I remember when I went to onsen (hot spring ) in Japan,
I saw a notice on the wall, said people with tattoo are not allowed to onsen,
but my Japanese comprehension is not good enough,that's why I am not sure if it is ture ?!

Return to “Visiting Japan”