a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Is Anime/Manga Only For Kids And Teens?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Is Anime/Manga Only For Kids And Teens?

Postby Ulver_684 » March 9th, 2007 9:58 pm

Hi I would like to know your opinion about Anime/Manga in Japan because I found out that many Japanese Adults don't like anime/manga at all! They see it has it is only for kids or teenagers and I saw on TV the other day a Japanese girl said that Anime/Manga is for the immature people! so I wanna know Is this true or not :? :(

When I saw that on TV I didn't like it :( because that means that I'm a immature person and I LOVE ANIME/MANGA FOREVER! 8) :wink:

Airth
Expert on Something

Postby Airth » March 10th, 2007 12:32 am

Well of course the perception that all Japanese people like anime/manga is complete nonsense. Certainly, in my circle of acquaintances I would say the people who have no interest in them far outnumber the ones who do. Surely it's refreshing to hear that not all Japanese people fit into the stereotypical mould, isn't it?

Even so, I don't think that makes you immature in any way whatsoever. You like what you like. Be proud of it, and if you believe in its worth, introduce it to other people. Personally, I find most of it pretty tedious, but I can see that it has value and is often an intelligent art-form.

Get 40% OFF
osekihan
Been Around a Bit

Postby osekihan » March 10th, 2007 1:37 am

I use it as a reading comprehension study. It does have its values.

Alan
Expert on Something

Postby Alan » March 10th, 2007 2:52 am

I've watched a lot of anime now and most of it was aimed at the teenagers and twenty-somethings. Since anime are often based on manga, I guess the same applies there. :)

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 10th, 2007 11:39 pm

Thank you all for your comments and cheers keep them coming, maybe the beautiful Japanese girl that said that on TV was right and wrong at the same time because she may not like anime/manga but that doesn't mean that we are immature or we all have different view of things! I will always LOVE ANIME/MANGA FOREVER until the last day of my life! 8) :wink:

PS: I love you Japan and your beautiful people forever and ever! :twisted: :wink:

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » March 14th, 2007 4:19 pm

A friend of mine (18 ) just loves manga and anime. She showed me the anime of Tenisu no ojisama (the prince of tennis). She said it was really popular in Japan.
To be honest, I was really bored by the whole story. For me it is interesting to see how speed is depicted in manga and anime, and how a page or screen is used differently. I mean, text and pictures are used more dynamically than in western comics for example.
But these stories... This ojisama is a bragging little boy. And another one I saw was about pirates, I don't know the name anymore. It was also about a boy who thinks he is the best. It's hard to imagine many adults like these stories.
Anyway, I'm not a fan of these anime, but I love Miyazaki's movies!
Maybe you can tell me which anime are more interesting than the ones I mentioned?

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 14th, 2007 8:36 pm

Yoshiko-san I'm an old school anime/manga lover because It bring me back good memories of my childhood in Mexico and here in the USA! :P :D

This ones WON'T bore you, I really recommend them so much so be sure to check them out! 8) :wink:

Case Close!
Champions!
Cowboybebop!
Digimon!
Doremi!
Doreamon!
Dragon Ball!
Dragon Ball Z!
Dragon Ball GT!
Dr Slump!
Escaflowne!
Gravitation!
Suit Mobile Gundam!
Hamtaro!
Magic Knights!
Mikami Ghost Hunter!
Monster Rancher!
Neon Genesis Evangelion!
Noir!
Outlawstar!
Pokemon!
Ranma 1/2!
Sandybel!
Sakura Card Captors!
Sailormoon!
Saint Seiya!
Saint Tails!
Slayers!
Secret Garden!
Tenchi World!
Yat1!
Zoids!

seanolan
Expert on Something

Postby seanolan » March 14th, 2007 11:23 pm

Riding on the train, you will see old people (men and women) in full business atire reading weekly manga magazines. If you go to the manga section of a bookstore, you will see more people standing around reading than in any other section of the bookstore. There is manga for every type of reader, from romance to adventure to mystery to historical novels to actual history books and technical non-fiction. If you ask someone if they are "into" manga, most of the people who say no are thinking of the otaku who collect everything relating to one or more manga - such as Naruto or Bleach. But if you ask any Japanese if they have read manga, or if there is a manga they like, I bet you 90% of them will say yes. One of the bigger bookstores in Tokyo, Kinukuniya (sp?) books in Shinjuku, is a total of 6 floors. One floor is devoted to foreign books, one floor to video/DVDs. and one floor to manga exclusively. That should tell you how well manga sells and how widespread the demand is for it in Japan.

Sean

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » March 15th, 2007 10:03 am

Ulver_684-san, arigatou! Sure I will check them out. First time I come in a good comic-store. (The bookstores in my town are pretty basic :()

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 15th, 2007 3:06 pm

By the way thank you Seanolan-san for adding me in myspace ok! 8) :D

ohhh I see too bad what town you live in Yoshiko that the bookstores in your town I really basic ones?:wink:

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » March 16th, 2007 11:32 am

Some town in Holland! 8) :roll:
Well, there is a good bookstore, but it's not big and as manga is regarded as a 'special sort of book' it's not there and the library won't even think about it...

But there is this wonderful comicstore with lots of manga and japanese magazines in The Hague . That's why it's the government city. And now i come to think of it, that's also why the international criminal court is there. Instant access to important documentation.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 16th, 2007 5:22 pm

Yoshiko wrote:Some town in Holland! 8) :roll:

But there is this wonderful comicstore with lots of manga and japanese magazines in The Hague . That's why it's the government city. And now i come to think of it, that's also why the international criminal court is there. Instant access to important documentation.

WOW! sounds very interest! :wink:

Yoshiko
Established Presence

Postby Yoshiko » March 18th, 2007 4:13 pm

It's the truth :wink:

Abrassart
Established Presence

Re: Is Anime/Manga Only For Kids And Teens?

Postby Abrassart » March 18th, 2007 4:42 pm

Ulver_684 wrote:Hi I would like to know your opinion about Anime/Manga in Japan because I found out that many Japanese Adults don't like anime/manga at all! They see it has it is only for kids or teenagers and I saw on TV the other day a Japanese girl said that Anime/Manga is for the immature people! so I wanna know Is this true or not :? :(

Well, therer is a lot of different kind of Anime/Manga. If most of them are for kids or teenagers, there is also those for adults (and I'm not talking only about hentai of course).

If you take for exemple "Ghost in the Shell", it's just too complex for kids or teenagers... Same for the mangas from Jiro Taniguchi for instance (really famous in France and Belgium), like "Botchan no Jidai" (about the Meiji era and especially the life of writer Natsume Soseki)! :wink:

But if for you Anime/Manga, it's synonymus with DBZ and Naruto (and the rest doesn't exist), well yes it's for kids and teenagers... :lol:
Very, very nice. Without further ado, let's jump right in!

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Is Anime/Manga Only For Kids And Teens?

Postby Ulver_684 » March 19th, 2007 2:25 pm

Abrassart wrote:
Ulver_684 wrote:Hi I would like to know your opinion about Anime/Manga in Japan because I found out that many Japanese Adults don't like anime/manga at all! They see it has it is only for kids or teenagers and I saw on TV the other day a Japanese girl said that Anime/Manga is for the immature people! so I wanna know Is this true or not :? :(

Well, therer is a lot of different kind of Anime/Manga. If most of them are for kids or teenagers, there is also those for adults (and I'm not talking only about hentai of course).

If you take for exemple "Ghost in the Shell", it's just too complex for kids or teenagers... Same for the mangas from Jiro Taniguchi for instance (really famous in France and Belgium), like "Botchan no Jidai" (about the Meiji era and especially the life of writer Natsume Soseki)! :wink:

But if for you Anime/Manga, it's synonymus with DBZ and Naruto (and the rest doesn't exist), well yes it's for kids and teenagers... :lol:

Ok I see but please respect my old school anime list I gave out because they do exist and even do those are oldschool anime for kids, teens and adults, it bring me back precious memories from my childhood and they are the best anime we had in 80's and 90's! :twisted: 8) :D

Right now the anime of this generation (2000-2007) is just to show naked boys/girls and don't teach anything instructive (truths) for our own beneficiary :!: :wink:

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”