Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japan's Dark Side

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » May 26th, 2006 6:47 am

metablue wrote:Wow, that's fascinating. I hadn't thought of it that way before. Where did you learn this?

Thanks! I minored in Japanese and have read a wide variety of books. Unfortunately, none of the culture books I've read go into much depth on the foreigner thing. Travel books talk about it to varying degrees and online sources are pessimistic. The area where Japan's relationship with foriegners is explored most, though, is history (Tokugawa and the Jesuits, Commodore Perry, the European empires carving up mainland Asia). So I've been trying to piece stuff together.

Sadly, I haven't been to Japan yet, but that's because, like you, I was worried about the strange juxtaposition of all bad and good stuff I heard about their treatment of foreigners. Since then, I've been trying to find the most optimistic and reasonable way to understand it before I go. When I do go there, I don't want to be another hapless gaijin. I want to be both understanding and understandable.

Bueller_007 wrote:... and they know they're not going to be fully welcomed into Japanese society anyway ...

So, aren't you saying that kind of bad foreign behavior is the result, not the cause?

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 26th, 2006 7:12 am

Charles wrote:So, aren't you saying that kind of bad foreign behavior is the result, not the cause?

It's a vicious circle. I'm just saying that you can't necessarily fault the Japanese for not welcoming foreigners, because there are a LOT of jerks out there. I'm not trying to justify it, because it's not fair to the respectable ones, I'm just saying that I understand the way that they feel.

And being excluded doesn't excuse foreigners for acting like knobs. Chinese and Koreans in Japan don't seem to act that way.

Get 40% OFF
chire
New in Town

Postby chire » May 29th, 2006 4:15 am

Hi, my question has to do with the beginning of this thread. I was born in Seoul, South Korea and was adopted when I was only 4 months old. Will people view me as 1) A really rude Japanese girl with no manners; 2) Yuck, a Korean!; or 3) Bah, she's American, we'll let her slide. Unlike most, I won't stick out as being obviously foreign and I'm worried that may get me into trouble. I want to look as clueless as I really am! -Chire

PS - This is my first post and I want to say thanks for all the hard work from the JPod crew. The content is exactly what I need, and heaven knows I can't afford textbooks or CD sets.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 29th, 2006 10:50 am

chire wrote:Hi, my question has to do with the beginning of this thread. I was born in Seoul, South Korea and was adopted when I was only 4 months old. Will people view me as 1) A really rude Japanese girl with no manners; 2) Yuck, a Korean!; or 3) Bah, she's American, we'll let her slide. Unlike most, I won't stick out as being obviously foreign and I'm worried that may get me into trouble. I want to look as clueless as I really am! -Chire

PS - This is my first post and I want to say thanks for all the hard work from the JPod crew. The content is exactly what I need, and heaven knows I can't afford textbooks or CD sets.

I'm not sure, but I'd guess that you'd be viewed as an American.

But the VAST majority of Japanese people wouldn't think "Yuck, Korean" anyway. Korean soap operas are so popular there now, and the amount of Japanese tourism to Korea is quite high. Although there are racists in Japan, their number is greatly exaggerated. You'll be "lucky" if you find ONE in your time there.

Your biggest problem is that they probably won't be able to tell you're not Japanese, and will try to speak to you in Japanese. You'll get a lot of strange faces when the only reply you can make is "Huh?"

chire
New in Town

Postby chire » May 31st, 2006 1:11 am

Bueller_007 wrote:Your biggest problem is that they probably won't be able to tell you're not Japanese, and will try to speak to you in Japanese. You'll get a lot of strange faces when the only reply you can make is "Huh?"

Thanks for the reply! I was considering claiming unknown descent. Also, now thanks to Jpod I can respond "Mo ichido onegai shimasu" and "Yukkuri onegai shimasu" when people come up to me and start speaking Japanese. After that, I'll probably follow up with "Eigo de daijoubu desu ka?" :wink:

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » May 31st, 2006 3:01 pm

I think there is something to the "natural barrier" business and it is an interesting theory. Unfortunately, a lot of the Japanese discrimination is based on wanting to maintain these barriers even once they become unnatural.

It is natural for a person to come to Japan and not speak Japanese and thus be treated differently. It is unnatural to continue to be treated this way well after you have become functional in the language and culture. To put up a sign that says "no foreigners" (as in the previous example) makes the assumption that all foreigners don't understand Japanese or can't appreciate the food. That is what descimination is, making wide assumptions about a group of people without bothering to find out the facts of the individual case.

The discrimination in Japan is much more about maintaining what they perceive as natural than what is actually natural. In some cases the closer one comes to overcoming the natural barriers the more resistence you will experience.

You can imagine slave traders thought what they were doing was only natural as well. These slaves are not people they are animals, they can't speak English, they don't understand civilized culture; thus it is only natural that we use them to our benefit as we would any other animal.

Don't get me wrong. I love Japan and I love most of the people but I know that there is a small (and politically powerful) section of the Japanese population that is more committed to maintaining traditional boundaries, whether they be natural or not, than maintaining "wa". I wouldn't, however, let this discourage you from going to Japan and meeting the majority of people who are open and warm-hearted.

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » May 31st, 2006 7:37 pm

Definitely, Satsujin. Nationalist discrimination, if it was ever practically founded in nature, is not and nor will it be. The world changed.

Japan, however, was late realizing this change. They missed the entire Industrial Revolution. While the rest of us were engaged in globalized trade of technology and culture, Japan was closed, isolated and agrarian. All the way until 1853, just a little over 150 years ago. To put it into historical perspective, they were arguably technologicaly equivalent to Europe 350 years ago. It's both a sad and amazing story, because the whole nation was shocked into a drive to advance so much in so little time.

My professor was very old, but she said the initial shock still reverberated into her lifetime with the use of the expression, "a black ship came." She didn't teach us how to say it in Japanese, since it was a culture class, but it's used to refer to a foreigner who leaves you shocked. It's possible this expression has fallen out of style and is likely used more by senior citizens anyway.

The other thing about discrimination in Japan that we have to remember is different from other nations, I think, is that it was the policy of the entire nation. Imagine the whole island chain is just a huge restaurant with a big sign that says "no foreigners allowed." It was part of their identity. In the US, slavery and segregation were largely the practice of southern states. It was not a pervasive symbol of national identity. In Japan, however, keeping foreigners out was.

So two things I think are important: Not only was keeping foreigners out pervasive, it was like that a relatively short time ago.

Oh, and a third thing that is very important: It was authoritarian. Foreigners were kept out because that's what your superiors said, and obeying your superiors was natural. After WWII, many people thought that Japan would not be able to function in a democracy for this reason. Given they've only had about 50 years, what they've done is truly remarkable.

I don't think discrimination is natural, but I think the people deserve time and patience from us.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 1st, 2006 8:28 am

I'm not buying it. The amount of anti-Japanese sentiment in the world is far greater than anti-foreigner sentiment in Japan. I don't think that Japan is much more isolationist than other countries that believe themselves to be monocultural. A Japanese person born in Korea or China would probably be much LESS welcome than a Korean or Chinese person born in Japan. And so long as her last name is "Matsumoto", would never be accepted as a Chinese or Korean. It just so happens that their aren't so many Japanese people born in those countries.

The younger generation in particular are quite open to foreign people and ideas.

A couple of things.

First, I think the number of these "no foreigners" shops is being GREATLY exaggerated. I lived in Japan for two and a half years, and I never saw a single one.

And as I said earlier, I can understand the sentiment of any "no foreigners" shop owners. There are a lot of shit-disturber foreigners out there that I wouldn't want in my bar either. What, you're gonna alienate your long-term nightly customers (your bread and butter) by letting some short-term foreign residents come in there and cause shit? Unfair to respectable foreigners, yes, but understandable.

Second, national isolationism has existed in many countries other than Japan. These countries don't seem to share similar attitudes towards foreigners to the one you claim Japan has. (i.e. China, Korea, Vietnam, Laos)

Third, Japan was never actually "closed" to foreign countries during 鎖国. The Dutch were always allowed access to Nagasaki, and I believe that trading with China also continued during this period.

Fourth, comparisons are unfair. Japan has a good education system, the country is already developed, and is in a recession. So there is little need for foreigners to come in and take their jobs. Countries like Thailand, on the other hand, have substandard education, are developing, and the economies are growing. It's easy for educated foreigners to find jobs there. So Thailand is said to be "accepting of foreigners", and Japan is said to be "xenophobic".

Fifth, the Japanese are generally not very good at foreign languages, and get embarassed easily, so dealing with foreigners is difficult for them. It's not that they don't WANT to (thus the high number of people studying english at eikaiwa), it's just that they can't.

And on and on. There are a million reasons why the Japanese might be perceived as being xenophobic. But that doesn't necessarily make them so.

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 1st, 2006 3:43 pm

I laugh whenever people say Japanese are poor at English or foreign languages in general. This is pure BS. Usually it is based on average TOEIC scores in Japan being lower than other Asian countries. BUT everybodies dog takes the TOEIC in Japan. Many people take it multiple times. In other Asian countries only people who are serious English students take the TOEIC.

Next, an economic recession is no reason to stop immigrants. In most cases immigration provides a stimulus to the economy. Claiming that cheap foreign workers stole your job is completely missing the point especially in Japan where the job they "stole" was probably one most Japanese wouldn't do if there life depended on it. Japan is an aging society and will require more immigration in the future than any other Asian country if they don't want to fade away as a major world Economy.

Anyway this is not a conversation about how comparatively xenophobic Japan is to any other country. Every country in the world has people that descriminate to some degree or another. The point is to recognize that it exists and work towards eliminating it. The problem in Japan is that a lot of people don't even want to recognize the problem exists.

Charles
Established Presence

Postby Charles » June 1st, 2006 6:26 pm

As if on cue, yesterday the AP reported that a Japanese government panel will propose an upper limit on the number of foreign residents to 3% of the population. Supposedly it's for safety, because foreigners break the law more.

http://news.inq7.net/breaking/index.php?index=3&story_id=77650

The story doesn't explore how popular the proposition might be, but reports criticism on its foundation.

I don't think I'm out of line saying that it's a backwards idea. Hopefully better ways of dealing with foreigners will come out of the debate.

A small comment about the Dutch. They were given their own tiny island for temporary housing and were forbidden to leave it. But at least one of them was eventually given the same status as a samurai and allowed free reign of the country. The Shogun's word made it so, though. 8)

Satsujin
Established Presence

Postby Satsujin » June 2nd, 2006 1:19 pm

As for foreign crime...the Jpress often reports that foreign crime is on the rise. They fail to report that most of the crimes are VISA related crimes where people over stay their VISA's. They also fail to report that these "rises in crime" usually follow the institution of a new VISA related law or an increase in enforcement...not an actual increase from the past under the same situation.

In other words most foreign crime is non-violent and most increases are not caused by an increase in infractions just because of a law change or more effort put into catching those already breaking the law.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 3rd, 2006 5:18 am

Satsujin wrote:I laugh whenever people say Japanese are poor at English or foreign languages in general. This is pure BS. Usually it is based on average TOEIC scores in Japan being lower than other Asian countries. BUT everybodies dog takes the TOEIC in Japan. Many people take it multiple times. In other Asian countries only people who are serious English students take the TOEIC.

You've got to be kidding. Japanese foreign language ability is near zero, except among those who have lived abroad. Travel to any country in SE Asia and you get full-on English/French/Japanese from almost everyone, including street children who don't even attend school. It's a necessity for them (to sell their wares), so they learn it, and they learn it well. Most Japanese children look at English as a chore. And even though English lessons in Japanese high school are quite intensive, for whatever reason, most of them graduate with next to no conversational English ability whatsoever. By the time they make a serious attempt to learn the language they are often adults, which makes it much more difficult. This isn't about TOEIC scores, this is about simple observation.

Look at Jockzon. He's what? 16 years old, and he already speaks Swedish (of course), English, German, he's learning Japanese, and he's (at least) made an attempt at French. No offense to him, because I'm sure he's quite bright, but this is not that unusual for Europeans. My two European roommates in university spoke 1) English, French, Spanish and German, 2) English, French, Portuguese and German. And they spoke them well. Not many Japanese can say this. This may be because Japanese is a linguistic orphan, problems with Japanese foreign-language education, or just a lack of perceived need to learn another language. I don't know, but foreign language learning in Japan is in bad shape.

Next, an economic recession is no reason to stop immigrants. In most cases immigration provides a stimulus to the economy. Claiming that cheap foreign workers stole your job is completely missing the point especially in Japan where the job they "stole" was probably one most Japanese wouldn't do if there life depended on it. Japan is an aging society and will require more immigration in the future than any other Asian country if they don't want to fade away as a major world Economy.

As the majority of immigrants to Japan are unskilled people from poor Asian countries (i.e. the Phillipines), they are seen as offering little in the way of benefits, and more in the way of risk.

Japan is a developed (supposedly) monocultural country in a recession. I can't speak for America, but Canada and Australia both had "whites only" policies (directed against the Chinese) before the countries became diversified. But the countries were developing and needed foreign workers, so they lowered their barriers. All monocultural countries are afraid of diversification when they don't perceive a need for it. (I know you've said that this conversation isn't about comparing countries, but pinning Japan's supposed exclusionary tendencies on 鎖国 makes it sound like a uniquely Japanese problem.)

After WWII, the Japanese became legendary for their hospitality to foreign troops. They needed help at that time. Just like Canadians needed Chinese help to build the CPR and like the Thais need foreign help now. The only difference is that US foreign aid pulled out completely after they had rebuilt the country. Chinese didn't do this in Canada, and foreigners aren't going to do this in Thailand. So the net result is that Canada and Thailand have become diversified, and Japan has not. Japan is in a somewhat unique position, in that many foreigners voluntarily left after they had rebuilt the country, and it now believes that it can survive without foreigners in her borders.

Now, I do agree that Japan will probably need to increase the number of foreign workers in the future, in order to support their elderly population. The problem is that the Japanese have a tendency to ignore their problems (good word for this: 黙殺) and hope they go away, until they reach the absolute breaking point. They then undertake massive restructuring. Once things actually reach this point and admit that they need foreigners to prop up their pension system, just watch the floodgates open.

especially in Japan where the job they "stole" was probably one most Japanese wouldn't do if there life depended on it.

You're referring to the so-called 3K jobs (汚い, きつい, 危険) which, yes, many Japanese probably wouldn't have touched during the bubble economy. It's silly to say that an unemployed Japanese person would rather starve than sort burnable and non-burnable garbage though. There's someone willing to do every job under the sun, even in Japan.

As for foreign crime, yes, Satsujin, you are exactly right. The vast majority of foreign crime is visa-related. And the media blows other foreign crimes far out of proportion. As I recall, there was a Chinese immigrant who killed a Japanese family a few years back, and this really had a massive impact on Japanese perceptions of foreign crime.
Last edited by Bueller_007 on June 3rd, 2006 11:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 3rd, 2006 11:02 am

Charles wrote:A small comment about the Dutch. They were given their own tiny island for temporary housing and were forbidden to leave it. But at least one of them was eventually given the same status as a samurai and allowed free reign of the country. The Shogun's word made it so, though. 8)

The Dutch were permitted occasional travel to Edo, and frequently lectured to Japanese scholars on the state of technology in the West. Dutch science books were translated into Japanese. For this reason, many Japanese medical terms (i.e. メス="scalpel") come from Dutch.

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 4th, 2006 6:42 am

Bueller_007 wrote:Fifth, the Japanese are generally not very good at foreign languages, and get embarassed easily, so dealing with foreigners is difficult for them. It's not that they don't WANT to (thus the high number of people studying english at eikaiwa), it's just that they can't.

This kind of blanket statement always makes me a bit worried. And you could be describing the US, Canada, or New Zealand. Canada is officially bilingual and everyone is taught French starting in grade 5 or 6, but none of the Canadians I know can speak French except to stumble by if forced. In New Zealand you have to study a language in school for perhaps a year or two, but your standard European (white) New Zealander speaks English only and never seriously learns another. Ditto in the US unless your parents speak another language.

Different regions in these 3 countries have very different attitudes towards foreigners. Go to the US west coast and people are open and accepting, but got a few miles east to Sacramento and you'll encounter attitudes you thought died out decades ago. I lived there for 9 months and spent much of that time in shock at what my workmates were saying.

New Zealand is open in its own unique way. Auckland had a huge influx of people from Hong Kong before 1997. It went from a very small Asian population to almost 20%, but somehow just absorbed the change with very little friction. I don't think the rest of New Zealand experienced anything like that. It's still almost as uniform as it was 20 years ago.

When I went back to Toronto in 1995 it was a different place to the monocultural Toronto I knew as a kid. I'd walk into classes at university and hear conversations in 5 or 6 different languages. It was a bit hard to get used to at first, but Torontonians are now generally very proud of their "cultural mosaic".

It comes down to need. If you're a street kid in SE Asia, you can improve your life a huge amount by learning 3 languages, so you do. If you live in Europe, it's expected, so you do too. If you're Japanese in Japan, or an English speaker living in the US, you don't need to and no one expects you to, so you probably don't. It has nothing to do with language ability, and nothing to do with your attitude toward or ability to deal with foreigners.

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » June 4th, 2006 2:48 pm

metablue wrote:This kind of blanket statement always makes me a bit worried. And you could be describing the US, Canada, or New Zealand. Canada is officially bilingual and everyone is taught French starting in grade 5 or 6, but none of the Canadians I know can speak French except to stumble by if forced. In New Zealand you have to study a language in school for perhaps a year or two, but your standard European (white) New Zealander speaks English only and never seriously learns another. Ditto in the US unless your parents speak another language.
It comes down to need. If you're a street kid in SE Asia, you can improve your life a huge amount by learning 3 languages, so you do. If you live in Europe, it's expected, so you do too.

I agree wholeheartedly, and you worded it quite well. The state of language learning in English-speaking countries is at the very bottom of the list.

Unless a native English speaker has a very particular interest in another country/culture, there is really not much need to learn another language. Canada's crappy French ability, for example, likely comes from students thinking "What the hell will I ever need French for? EVERYBODY speaks English!"

If you're Japanese in Japan, or an English speaker living in the US, you don't need to and no one expects you to, so you probably don't.

But I really disagree with you here. Although both countries are well-developed and (fairly) isolated from foreign-language-speaking countries, you can't compare Japan and the U.S.

There is an very important difference between native English speakers in America failing to learn another language and Japanese speakers failing to learn English. At the risk of sounding ethnocentric, I think it can safely be said that the world communicates in English. English is the language of the Internet. Almost everything you ever wanted to know can be found in English.

English is said to be the first language in history that has more people who speak it as a second tongue than a mother tongue. If a German and a Romanian meet, they will likely communicate with each other in English. Many Japanese simply wouldn't be able to communicate with either one of them.

Foreign languages, particularly English, are a necessity for people who wish to do international business, international travel or wish to know more about the world in general.

Japan is by no means a self-sufficient country. It needs to do business with people from many other countries. Moreso than almost every non-English-speaking country, it needs to import materials and export the stuff it makes. Foreign languages are a necessity to communicate with their business partners.

As everyone knows, international travel is incredibly popular amongst the Japanese. But they often force themselves into group package tours, not because it's cheaper (often, it actually costs them much more) but because it's "easier". "Easier" means not only "more convenient than planning it by myself", but also "easier than having to deal with the local people." The tour guide does it all for them, so they travel without really travelling.

It has nothing to do with language ability, and nothing to do with your attitude toward or ability to deal with foreigners.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily affect their attitude towards foreigners, but how can you say that an inability to communicate with foreigners doesn't equate to an inability to deal with foreigners?

Return to “General Japanese Culture”