a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Clothes in Japan

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

danielsan
New in Town

Clothes in Japan

Postby danielsan » June 9th, 2007 9:37 pm

Hey all. Coming from a few years in Southern California, I have a lot of warm weather clothes, but I'm just wondering how I'd fit in. Do people wear shorts very often as casual wear (not to work, of course!) But speaking of working days, I understand that white collared shirts are standard. So my colored shirts should be better left at home?

Airth
Expert on Something

Re: Clothes in Japan

Postby Airth » June 10th, 2007 5:52 am

danielsan wrote:Hey all. Coming from a few years in Southern California, I have a lot of warm weather clothes, but I'm just wondering how I'd fit in. Do people wear shorts very often as casual wear (not to work, of course!) But speaking of working days, I understand that white collared shirts are standard. So my colored shirts should be better left at home?

Very few people marching around in shorts over here, in my experience. Elementary school children and foreigners probably make up about 90% of all short sightings. But I don't see that as any reason for you not to wear them if that's what you're comfortable in.

With regards coloured shirts, it all depends on the kind of job you're doing and the company you're working for...
My Japanese Character & Word Building Blog - Kanji Rikusho

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 11th, 2007 11:15 pm

Are the women wearing dresses then in the summer?

SuiteOne
Been Around a Bit

Postby SuiteOne » July 24th, 2007 12:59 pm

I'll be leaving for Tokyo this Friday and I'll be there for all of August.
I know August is a hot and humid month, but I was wondering what is appropriate attire for a woman? I won't be working there, just taking language classes and sightseeing.

Thanks for any input!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » July 26th, 2007 3:08 am

Japanese tend to dress very smartly especially the women. A lot of dresses, skirts etc and at weekends (especially around now as it is hanami season) lots of colourful yukata.

Currently it is not too hot for this time of year - high 20's - but it is humid! You'll hear a lot of mushi atsui desu ne! (Humid isin't it).

My advice would be dress comfortable for you. There are plenty of people wearing shorts over here. OK for the men it is mostly foreigners but shorts are very fashiobale for the Japanese girls (20 somethings) right now pushing a lot of male blood pressure up! :D

Tight or heavy jeans will probably be damn unfomfortable...

lancemaria
New in Town

re: hello

Postby lancemaria » August 8th, 2007 9:01 am

I've heard they have a nice outfit.

danielsan
New in Town

Postby danielsan » August 18th, 2007 11:27 pm

Okay, I got here and after looking around the city for a week, I guess I answered my question for myself! Pretty much everyday casual wear is okay. I've seen a significant minority wear whatever they want-- shorts, tank tops, etc. Especially the hairstyles!! I can't wait to get my hair tricked out, too!

But about the clothes, I wonder if anyone has a few cheap to moderately priced clothing stores they could recommend for t-shirts and polo shirts. I don't want to go to the Gap or something just because it's recognizeable, and depato clothing stores tend to be more expensive anyway, you know? Any suggestions?

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » August 19th, 2007 5:26 am

danielsan wrote:But about the clothes, I wonder if anyone has a few cheap to moderately priced clothing stores they could recommend for t-shirts and polo shirts. I don't want to go to the Gap or something just because it's recognizeable, and depato clothing stores tend to be more expensive anyway, you know? Any suggestions?

Uniqlo!

While casual wear is okay, you'll fit in a lot better if you're well-dressed.
I always feel under-dressed in Japan, but when I'm on holiday in the U.S. I tend to be over-dressed so everyone thinks I'm European.

foxyshez
Been Around a Bit

Re: Clothes in Japan

Postby foxyshez » January 27th, 2008 2:54 am

danielsan wrote:Hey all. Coming from a few years in Southern California, I have a lot of warm weather clothes, but I'm just wondering how I'd fit in. Do people wear shorts very often as casual wear (not to work, of course!) But speaking of working days, I understand that white collared shirts are standard. So my colored shirts should be better left at home?

It depends who you are and what you're doing. Foreign men wear shorts here but not many Japanese men do-i think its pretty overlooked though-just general tastes. I think because Japanese have the changing seasons they try to make clothes last through haha.

Some young women wear next to nothing, even in winter!

Theres a big designer clothes obsession-if you dont have a louii vutton bag you'll be sent home (haha just kidding)

For work black suits are the norm-everyone is pretty smart. Depends on ur job though. For work i wouldn't bother with colourful shirts-but on days off wear anything! everyone is different! and failing that-gaijin can get away with anything! we're invincible!

you might be cold in winter though-pack some thermals!

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 4th, 2008 11:54 am

i would say don't worry about the shirt thing, you're a foreigner, and also\, at least around osaka people are starting to change and wear different coloured shirts!! :shock:

Foreign men wear shorts here but not many Japanese men do

Are you for real?! All my japanese guy friends wear shorts and tank tops in summer, and they're not teenagers, around 25+
can it be just osaka :?:

i would say mate, if i was you, and depending on budget, bring a little as you can and buy whatever you need in japan, thats what i do, cos clothes aren't expensive compared to australia i think.
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » February 6th, 2008 4:29 am

i'm with josiah on this one.

i can't speak for the rest of japan, but Tokyo is one of the most fashionable cities in the world. and it's one of the shopping capitols of the world. so you're best off buying everything here instead of dressing like an american (the japanese tend to regard americans as not caring about looks). :lol:
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

JonB
Expert on Something

but

Postby JonB » February 6th, 2008 4:38 am

if you are taller than 175 and have a waist bigger than 90 then buy at home!

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Re: but

Postby kc8ufv » February 6th, 2008 7:38 pm

JonB wrote:if you are taller than 175 and have a waist bigger than 90 then buy at home!

Is this because these sizes are harder to find, or significantly more expensive?
I'm about 183cm tall and need to loose a few pounds. :D

JonB
Expert on Something

Both generally

Postby JonB » February 7th, 2008 5:24 am

You can get the bigger sizes if you hunt but usually they are "designer"... There is a place called Zen Mall which is a chain and another shop near yarakucho (which I forget the name of).

1 am 178, around 40" waist, 18" collar and 48" chest and I can not remember the last time I bought any clothes here - other than a fleece hat the other week!

I tend to internet shop or wait till my holidays and go with an empty suitcase.

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 10th, 2008 10:45 pm

markystar wrote:the japanese tend to regard americans as not caring about looks. :lol:

thought that was just my dad! :lol: but i havent shaved in a month and had a hair cut in who knows how long, but i got style! :wink:
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Return to “General Japanese Culture”