a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Japanese Language Play in London

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Belton
Expert on Something

Japanese Language Play in London

Postby Belton » October 11th, 2006 10:50 am

Last night I went to a really good play. "Madmen in the Courtyard" performed by the Mugensha Theatre Company at the Theatro Technis Camden.

A very enjoyable evening.

Follow the link above to get a plot synopsis.
Mostly it's about famous Japanese authors in hell!

The play is almost completely in Japanese, but there are some very clever devises used to subtitle the action and most of the play has a running translation in the style of "Peter-san eigo ni hairimasu". (This translation is in flawless and home counties accented English so I was surprised to see it was given by a Japanese actress.)

The high point for me was a version of bunraku where human actors play puppets.

The company are also very nice people and you can meet them afterwards in the lobby.
(I knew one of the technicians and one of the actors is a friend of a classmate, but even so I think they'd be happy to meet people who liked their play.)

They deserve a good audience so if you get a chance go along. It runs until Saturday 21 Oct.
If your Japanese is good, you have an extra chance to use it and if it isn't don't worry you'll still understand.

(Give Rie-san in the sound booth a wave and tell them you found out about them at jPod101!)
Get 40% OFF

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”