a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Anyone else shocked about smart.fm closing and reopening as

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Anyone else shocked about smart.fm closing and reopening as

Postby untmdsprt » January 28th, 2011 8:44 am

iknow.jp? I've been using the site for flash card review for the past year or so. Now they've decided to close down the free site and reopen as a paid site. This is seriously going to put a cramp in me reviewing words until I can get Anki up and running with stuff.

Has anyone else been using smart.fm to learn Japanese? Are you going to the paid site? Are you pissed off that they took our user created goals for their own profit?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 28th, 2011 11:34 pm

Such is the nature of the Internet, here today gone tomorrow.

I used to like smart.fm in it's original incarnation as iKnow. But it became too diffuse, turned off it's community boards, never made it easy to bulk upload vocab lists, and made it quite hard to get your work back off the site. (Fortunatly I got most of my lists off before they turned off the APIs.)

These days I prefer using my iPod offline with a flashcard program. I use Flashcards Deluxe, (cheap and fairly powerful and relatively simple to use, and I never really liked Anki). But there's a lot of choice on the app store. The main problem might be generating content, but there are sites out there to help with starting points such as http://www.quizlet.com . Ideally you should be generating your own custom decks rather than relying on others. That said you can track down lists of JLPT vocab, or decks for kanken grade kanji, or the vocab from popular textbooks etc. (I've developed a tool that will help extract vocab lists from pieces of text your are interested in reading if anyone wants to have a look. http://www.shiawase.co.uk/kanji-sieve/ )

For another online solution that isn't as graphically stylish but just as useful as iKnow, users can try WordChamp ( http://www.wordchamp.com/ ) instead. They have both a free model and a premium model that is less than one tenth the price that iKnow intends to charge. $9.95 a YEAR, compared to iKnow's 1000yen ($12) a MONTH. iKnow's tools aren't really worth that amount. The most expensive programs are probably about $50 on a Mac or PC and circa $20 on an iPod. content is still an issue, but maybe making it is part of learning it.
I think iKnow are pricing themselves out of the market and could well lose a substantial amount of their audience. (just like paywalls and newspapers)
It can't be cheap to run the site and I can't see much evidence of any revenue streams at the moment but a premium / free model would probably be better. The free generates the critical mass needed and helps generate the content and buzz, the premium pays for it and gets an enhanced product for their money. Like jPod and countless other sites.

I also think a lot of their users should be rightly angry, despite what Cerego say a substantial amount of content on the site was user generated.
I'm tempted to delete the lists I made but it'd be a bit churlish perhaps. I more or less knew I was providing free labour for Cerego, but saw it as part of the give and take of a sharing community. I certainly won't be making the transition to the paid site.

Maybe there's an opportunity here for jPod to host simple tab delimited lists of vocabulary that can be used in a variety of flashcard programs. Or a thread in the forums pointing to various resources perhaps...
Last edited by Belton on January 28th, 2011 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » January 28th, 2011 11:45 pm

I knew about the wordbank but this vocabulary feature on jPod was new to me.

http://www.japanesepod101.com/japanese-word-lists/

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » January 31st, 2011 5:45 am

I've been able to download the lists from smart.fm's site and have been updating them to the way that I like to study. At least now I won't have to worry about them being buggy or having to suddenly pay for them.

I will be coming back and using the features here since I've already paid for them and need to start using them more.

boku1571
Been Around a Bit

Postby boku1571 » February 26th, 2011 10:02 am

Personally, I like the content here and think it is invaluable for self-study. But the iKnow system is much better for simple vocabulary review. I've tried alternatives, such as Anki. I just don't seem to get as much "review" out of them and can't run through new/review vocabulary as quickly. I will probably end up paying for iKnow in addition to the subscription I already have here. Maybe JPod101 can buy the iKnow app after Cerego goes bankrupt.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 2nd, 2011 6:38 am

I'm finding Anki to be a lot better for the long term. All the easy words for me are getting pushed back to later and later dates, and the harder words keep popping up. Smart.fm was never like that!

Since my original post, I've added a dictation card so when a card has a sentence I now have to type in what I hear. I've got it set to the original full kanji sentence so I also have to get all kanji correct. This one smart.fm never could get right on their site!!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”