a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Stress involved when learning a language

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Stress involved when learning a language

Postby untmdsprt » July 15th, 2010 3:35 am

Yesterday I had to go to the doctor to see why I was having bad chest pains. Luckily they ruled out any kind of heart, lung or muscle damage. The doctor asked what I've been doing since it started and I told him that I've been studying harder so I can improve my Japanese to take the test in Dec. I also told him that I've been getting a lot of negative comments from both Japanese and Chinese people concerning me learning Japanese and kanji in particular.

He asked me about kanji, and so I told him that they are time consuming to learn but they aren't difficult. I said that I can't be expected to learn all 2000+ kanji overnight. He told me to continue studying and do the best I can, and for me to also get rid of all stress. I also told him that it would be nice if someone would actually encourage me to continue instead of being negative all the time.

What I've done now is strictly limit who can chat with me on Skype. That was the biggest source of stress with all the "donkeys" using it. Other social networking apps have also been placed on a once or twice a week use schedule.

I'm posting this because I'd hate to see anyone else having to go to the doctor from stress related issues. I'm glad we have a forum where we can go to encourage each other. :)

iaai
Been Around a Bit

Postby iaai » July 15th, 2010 8:52 am

..I think you need to get yourself a better doctor. I really doubt that chest pains are caused by studying harder..(!) Putting increased effort into work or study will most certainly lead to fatigue which has negative effects on many areas of the body, but 'bad chest pains'? If they are that bad, it's probably something else.

I suggest you calm down a little, living on the lax side of life is muuuuuuch better. :) I don't find Jap study that stressful at all, and I did it through self-study at the same time as taking my A-Levels at college, struggling to find a Gap Year placement, family issues etc. but still managed somehow without going into meltdown.

:picket:

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 15th, 2010 9:37 am

Most of the stress is coming from all the morons who've failed at learning a 2nd language themselves. Since I've blocked them from contacting me, that has actually relieved some stress. Now the only person allowed to contact me on Skype is my mom. :)

I actually find learning kanji enjoyable and for some idiot to tell me otherwise needs to be shot down, ignored or whatever else you have to do.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 17th, 2010 7:56 pm

A lot of Japanese can only write something like 1000 or so kanji from what I've heard. I think being able to read them is a lot more important.

How long has it taken you to learn how many kanji? If you still have 1000 or so to go, you might still get some benefit out of Heisig if it's your aim to write them all. You don't hear anybody having problems with kanji on koohii. It doesn't happen overnight, but it doesn't have to be a stressful ordeal with no end in sight either. You must know lots of words already as well, so the jump to reading won't be so challenging.

Even if you don't use the book, maybe throwing out your conceptions of how you should study and trying to experiment might be what you need. The same study methods don't work for everyone, so try and shake things up and make Japanese study something suited to you - something you can enjoy instead of stressing over!

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 22nd, 2010 3:30 am

I've actually started the Remembering the kanji a couple of day ago. I've also found someone who does encourage me to study more, and to let the ignorant people wallow around in their own failure. These people need to be ignored.

BTW, the 日本語が上手ですね。doesn't bother me anymore. I just ignore it and treat it as a filler while they're trying to think of something more to say. I'm going back to my original goals of passing JLPT2, finding a better job, and then start to read all of my Murakami books in Japanese.

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » July 22nd, 2010 11:29 am

untmdsprt wrote:I've actually started the Remembering the kanji a couple of day ago.

Are you using Anki to review Heisig? I really recommend it, because if you get burnout like some people tend to, it'll be easy just to resume where you left off. You can take a break from the book whenever you want this way.

Another tip is use your imagination! Some of Heisig's stories are trash. You have to make up your own after the first few chapters, and there's no reason you can't do it from the beginning once you've got the hang of it. So if you find yourself forgetting a character because Heisig's story isn't clicking for you - throw it out! Here's a couple of changes I made at the start :D

If you just happen to be pretty unimaginative or struggle with a particular character, you can see hundreds of other people's stories by signing up here http://kanji.koohii.com/ There's a whole section dedicated to RTK in the forum, and you'll find lots of good advice and encouragement throughout about all aspects Japanese and Japan.

untmdsprt wrote:BTW, the 日本語が上手ですね。doesn't bother me anymore. I just ignore it and treat it as a filler while they're trying to think of something more to say.

I think it's better to look at it as some sort of cultural pleasantry, like an add-on to 初めまして for foreigners. Nobody really means it when they say 'pleased to meet you,' but you don't get offended by that, right? It's not something the individual has conjured up to patronise you, so I usually go along with the custom, or sometimes start a conversation about it. By then, they've heard enough Japanese to give a real compliment :)

Drabant
Been Around a Bit

Postby Drabant » July 22nd, 2010 11:58 pm

My experience is that stress is very, very bad for learning. I've experienced this with RTK as well. I would recommend that you go at a slower pace if you are starting to feel stressed. I realize that you are working towards a deadline, with may be part of the problem. But if you fail due to stress, you will end up learning slower, than if you started out slow.

The first time I did RTK I had the idea that I wanted to be done in 2 months, while working full time. Waaaay too fast. So I didn't have time to make up good enough stories, didn't have time to review stores when I failed reviews, and reviewing just felt like a painful chore. So eventually, after I had gone through the whole book, and I had to do some 200+ reviews each day because I kept failing, hating it, not managing to get the number of daily reviews down, I gave up on it.
Now I have started it again, and I'm almost done, and feel much better this time around. But if I had just added say five new kanji each day the first time around, I would have been done by now, with much less stress.

Just ignore what others say. You are doing this only for yourself, and only because you want to. Actually, the reason why people are trying to break your spirit (because this is exactly that they are trying to do) is because they are afraid of your success, because they feel it would make you superior to them.

My tips for avoiding RTK burnout, after my personal experience with it:

・As I said above, don't go to fast. I don't add more than 15 new kanji at a time now, I find that if I add more I get worse results.
・Like Heisig says, work on your stories. I usually work on the stories of failed kanji while I am out taking a walk, instead of immediately when I fail it. That way I use my time more effectively, and feel less stressed.
・If you just can't work out a particular kanji, suspend it in your deck, until you need it or until you feel ready to take it on again. Failing over and over again causes frustration and stress, which in turn hurts the brain and causes you to fail more. Don't let the kanji become your enemies.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » July 27th, 2010 1:25 am

Drabant wrote:Just ignore what others say. You are doing this only for yourself, and only because you want to. Actually, the reason why people are trying to break your spirit (because this is exactly that they are trying to do) is because they are afraid of your success, because they feel it would make you superior to them.

Well I would be superior to them because I'm putting time and effort into learning something. It's their own fault for failing, not mine. I don't subscribe to that philosophy of "a nail that sticks out..." I admire the people on here who have succeeded in learning Japanese because of all the hard work they put into it. It gives me a sense that I can too do something.

Since the original post, I have cut back on some things I was doing and whatever level I'll be at when the test comes, is the one I'll take. I want to be able to pass with flying colors at a lower level than attempt something way out of my range. Right now I'm looking at N4 with a possibility of N3.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » August 13th, 2010 4:11 am

I've talked with a few others that have been to Japan and they've all been asked the same questions. We all agree that we should give short simple answers and just agree with the person so they'll be satisfied.

I've also started doing the Pomodoro technique and it's been helping with me focusing more on a task, take a break, then continue the task until the next break.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”