a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Viewing lesson notes on Iphone

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

shunko
New in Town

Viewing lesson notes on Iphone

Postby shunko » June 17th, 2010 2:17 pm

Could someone please clarify for me if it is possible on a 3G Iphone to view the lesson notes while listening to the lesson audio if you simply access the lesson/Japanese 101 site through the internet? If I download lessons through My Feed to ITunes then it is possible to see the notes as the lesson audio plays. The announcements that precede many lessons, though, seem to imply that you can also see the notes for a lesson you are accessing through the internet on a 3G phone just by clicking the center button. Am I understanding this correctly? It isn't working for me.

I am considering purchasing an IPad. Do you have to have a 3G IPad in order to view the notes as you lesson to the audio?

Thanks very much for any clarifying info!
Shunko[code][/code]

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 20th, 2010 11:49 am

I believe you're referring to the notes that are in the lyrics section of the song. Those are only available if the Jpod team decides to put them in there or if you want to do it yourself.

If you're referring to the PDFs that come with the feed, you can now view them in your iBooks app if you have an iPad, and possibly the iPhone if you update to iPhone OS v4. I believe the iPad will download everything into its storage area, so I seriously doubt you'll need any kind of WIFI or 3G connection.

The iPod app on both the iPhone and iPad can play in the background as you're reading.

Personally I think reading PDFs on your iPhone is trying on your eyes. I'm seriously thinking about getting an iPad for all my Japanesepod lessons and other Japanese books.

Get 40% OFF
shunko
New in Town

Postby shunko » June 20th, 2010 6:47 pm

untmdsprt,

Thanks for your reply. I finally was able to try out a demo Wi-fi Ipad and can see that it is quite easy to listen to the lesson while also reading the PDF. Th.e size of the PDF is good and it for sure is easier on the eyes than reading on an IPhone/Pod. Currently there are no IPads in stock to purchase where I live, but maybe soon.

The IPhone part of my question related to the times when I access the new lesson of the day through my email. I guess there is no way to listen and simultaneously see the PDF or a transcript of the conversation? On old lessons that I have downloaded through Itunes, the lesson transcript comes up with a tap and it is helpful to see and listen at the same time. Maybe it just isn't possible unless you download through My Feed and I Tunes.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » June 20th, 2010 11:04 pm

shunko wrote:
The IPhone part of my question related to the times when I access the new lesson of the day through my email. I guess there is no way to listen and simultaneously see the PDF or a transcript of the conversation? On old lessons that I have downloaded through Itunes, the lesson transcript comes up with a tap and it is helpful to see and listen at the same time. Maybe it just isn't possible unless you download through My Feed and I Tunes.

I don't quite understand what you're referring to, but I can read a PDF while listening on my iPhone. I use either Air Sharing or Dropbox to get my PDFs to my phone. I rarely use the text that's located within the podcasts itself as they used to put romaji for the Japanese. I never learned to read using romaji just hiragana, and since I've been in Japan for two years, there's no romaji here except for the station names.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » October 25th, 2010 3:41 am

For those who are using the iBooks app, a quick way to get the PDFs to your iPhone/iPad is to set up a smart playlist, and then sync that playlist. The PDFs are set to "podcast" media kind so they won't show up in the "audiobooks" tab.

shunko
New in Town

Postby shunko » October 25th, 2010 2:31 pm

Thanks very much. I will set up a smart playlist for the PDFs. If I could just clarify one more thing and then I will get back to studying! I am enjoying using the iPad very much for studying Japanese, but it isn't possible to use the line by line audio feature or record your voice features on the ipad, is it? I purchased the upper beginner app for iPad and all features work well. It would be nice to be able to just access line by line at the learning center through my subscription,but it may just be a limitation of the iPad.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » October 25th, 2010 2:44 pm

The learning center may be using Adobe flash for things. If this is the case, then no you won't be able to use it on your iPad.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”