Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Would you buy the rumored Apple tablet if it came out?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

I would buy the Apple tablet if it had the:

iPhone OS
No votes
full Mac OS
100%

Total votes: 8

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Would you buy the rumored Apple tablet if it came out?

Postby untmdsprt » December 29th, 2009 2:31 am

Rumors have been flying recently that Apple may be putting out a tablet based computer in the near future. This would be great if they used the full Mac OS instead of the iPhone OS.

I could see myself buying one if they added the multi-touch feature to use the Chinese handwriting function, and if it was lighter than my Macbook.

Would anyone else buy such a thing?

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » December 29th, 2009 12:20 pm

I'd be interested in seeing it.
The fingerpainting kanji input might be more usable if it were on a larger screen but I'd much prefer if a proper stylus could be used, however I doubt they will offer anything so useful and I can't afford a modbook. The crayon like pens for the iPhone aren't much improvement on a finger and a finger just isn't good enough to write with, though fine for buttons and gestures.
And... Japanese developers would have to write interesting software aimed at children or port the software already used on windows tablets in some schools.
In the meantime my DS gives better functionality for kanji writing practice. The new DSi LL might be more interesting and much cheaper. And my MacBook has lots of life still left in it.

Get 40% OFF
Tangram
New in Town

Postby Tangram » December 30th, 2009 2:40 pm

Probably not, because it would be way overpriced. My HP tablet notebook is a great computer, and the tablet is at least on the level of most midgrade tablet devices I've used. It was $800. Apple doesn't even make a laptop for that cheap. It would definitely not be worth the money to me.

However, for all of the Apple fankids who won't use a PC, I'm sure it would be great for practicing writing Asian characters. My tablet notebook picks up the writing really well, and Windows Journal has a chisel tip that I use. It makes even my terribly written characters look beautiful.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » February 1st, 2010 7:41 am

Well since this was posted, the Apple tablet actually is real. Unfortunately, it's running the iPhone OS and has a stupid name of iPad.

It seems to me that Apple has put it squarely in the ebook category along with the Kindle. If you look at it this way, then yes the iPad is a good value for what you get compared to other ebook readers. If the thing had a camera, and an iChat app I would have instantly bought one for my mom so we could video chat. Her PC laptop is nothing but a pain to both of us so we never bother to video chat.

My bf is looking at it if and when there are a lot of Japanese titles he can read on it. He's in the market for a Kindle, but I told him to wait and see what Apple does for the Japanese market.

I personally don't have a use for it because I already have an iPhone.

Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Postby Ulver_684 » March 14th, 2010 10:59 pm

The ipad costs $500- 800! I won't buy it until the price goes down because like untmdsprt-san said it has the iphone os! :shock:

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » March 15th, 2010 12:05 am

Keep waiting Sindy! Apple NEVER lowers their prices for anything. They just wait until it's cost effective to add new features. You either want it or you don't.

With Apple you have to set a price you're willing to pay and then see if anything fits within that range. Apples are built for the long term. My current Macbook is going on 3 years old, and running Snow Leopard. I don't see any reason to replace it with something newer as it does everything just fine.

The iPad is actually cheaper that most ebook readers like the Kindle. The Kindle DX only has 4GB, while the iPad starts with 16GB.

Again, I'm waiting until they put a camera into the iPad then I'll order one for my mom.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » May 12th, 2010 3:38 am

Well now that Apple has announced that Japan will be getting the iPad on May 28th, I've decided that I really don't want one. Here are my thoughts:

1. Already have an iPhone
2. Lost my job at the last minute and struggling to find something else
3. Too big to take on the trains here in Japan
4. Have used Ubuntu, and deciding to switch to it for my daily needs when I can get another computer.

Anyone else change their minds about buying one?

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”