Or sign up using Facebook

I'm starting a blog to chronicle my japanese wedding speech

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

amost
Been Around a Bit

I'm starting a blog to chronicle my japanese wedding speech

Postby amost » September 29th, 2009 2:05 am

www.japaneseweddingspeech.com

Please stop by to visit, and comment! I'm blogging about my experiences learning japanese well enough to write a wedding speech for my wedding in tokyo next may!

It's currently new, but I'm planning to update frequently!

I need some community! :) my videos, pictures, experiences, and random language learning tips are all here. I welcome yours too!

Jessi
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jessi » September 29th, 2009 3:21 am

Hi amostさん!

What a nice idea for a site :) It's great that you have a clear-cut goal and deadline for learning Japanese. How much Japanese do you know at the moment?

We actually have an upcoming Upper Intermediate lesson that is all about giving a speech at a wedding, but it's about a speech given by a friend of the bride/groom so it's probably a bit different from the kind of speech you will be giving. Still I think it might be useful!
♪ JapanesePod101.com ♪ 好評配信中!
Leave us a message in the forum if you have any comments, questions, or feedback!

Get 40% OFF
amost
Been Around a Bit

Postby amost » September 29th, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi Jessi! 今の日本語技術は下手です。日本語能力試験の3級の練習テストを受けてみて、合格しました!(この12月の本番は頑張ります!)

だから今2級の語彙を勉強します。

そのレッスンが役に立つのは賛成です。本当にありがとう。Groomの新郎謝辞のレッスンを作るつもりこともあれば、I would certainly appreciate it ;)

I have to study hard every day, because we're going back to Tokyo in november for the hotel/wedding hall's bridal show for dress sizing, etc.

Thanks very much Jessi! :)

Taurus
Expert on Something

Postby Taurus » September 30th, 2009 3:38 am

I had to give a speech at my wedding earlier this year. I wrote it and then my wife re-wrote it so that it made sense. Then I read it badly at my wedding. I'll see if I can find a copy if you're interested in reading it...

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 30th, 2009 8:34 am

It's worth finding out what form of speech is expected.

I was planning something along the lines of the groom's speech that is given in Irish tradition. Then I found out that I don't get to propose a toast, that is done by the bride's family's eldest brother, and my speech was to my in-laws not to the guests as such. (If my parents were able to attend I think it might have been to them) Along the lines of thankyou for raising me, or in my case thankyou for welcoming me into your family, I promise to take great care of your daughter. I also had a goodbye; the reception is over short speech to give. There were some set phrases there.
And I had to sing karaoke and do the wedding vow in Japanese at the Shinto style ceremony -- at least that was meant to be read off a sheet of paper.

The legal marriage at the town hall was much easier (once we had gathered the documents). Sign here, fee please, collect your certificates in two days! and off to Bronco Billy's for lunch.

Good Luck in your preparations.

amost
Been Around a Bit

Postby amost » September 30th, 2009 2:21 pm

Taurus wrote:I had to give a speech at my wedding earlier this year. I wrote it and then my wife re-wrote it so that it made sense. Then I read it badly at my wedding. I'll see if I can find a copy if you're interested in reading it...

I am interested indeed! That would be most awesome of you~

amost
Been Around a Bit

Postby amost » September 30th, 2009 2:25 pm

Belton wrote:It's worth finding out what form of speech is expected.

I was planning something along the lines of the groom's speech that is given in Irish tradition. Then I found out that I don't get to propose a toast, that is done by the bride's family's eldest brother, and my speech was to my in-laws not to the guests as such. (If my parents were able to attend I think it might have been to them) Along the lines of thankyou for raising me, or in my case thankyou for welcoming me into your family, I promise to take great care of your daughter. I also had a goodbye; the reception is over short speech to give. There were some set phrases there.
And I had to sing karaoke and do the wedding vow in Japanese at the Shinto style ceremony -- at least that was meant to be read off a sheet of paper.

The legal marriage at the town hall was much easier (once we had gathered the documents). Sign here, fee please, collect your certificates in two days! and off to Bronco Billy's for lunch.

Good Luck in your preparations.

Thank you!

My fiance does not have an older brother... only a younger sister so I'll have to find out how the toasting goes. Also, I'm not so sure if the speech is going to be directed to the family or guests... I have alot of things to figure out it seems! :O Thank you for bringing these questions up! It's going to be a western-style ceremony (she picked it. not me). I know you have options to repeat the vows of the officiant or write your own. We haven't decided that either yet...
Last edited by amost on September 30th, 2009 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » September 30th, 2009 2:43 pm

amost wrote:My fiance does not have an older brother...

What I meant was the eldest member of the brides family. My father-in-law's eldest brother. I'm guessing the head of the clan (so to speak).

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”