Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

How to open a regular bank account, etc.?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

How to open a regular bank account, etc.?

Postby untmdsprt » March 23rd, 2009 10:19 am

I'm going to be moving to Hino City (Hino station on the JR chuo line), and needing to open a regular bank account, change my address, get a new gaijin card, etc. Here's what I'm needing to know:

1. Mizuho or UFJ: which one is less of a hassle to open an account, and which account do I need that I can have my new employer deposit my salary into?

2. where do I go to get a hanko? where do I go to register this hanko for official business?

3. where do I go to change my address on my gaijin card, etc.?

4. where do I go to re-register for the national health care?

I've tried looking all this stuff up on the net, and since I don't know the actual ward Hino is in, it's making it tough.

Thanks!

JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » April 6th, 2009 1:28 am

1. Mizuho or UFJ: which one is less of a hassle to open an account, and which account do I need that I can have my new employer deposit my salary into?

I found Mizuho pretty helpful - not tried UFJ. Get a futsu account but they will probably give you a savings one too

2. where do I go to get a hanko? where do I go to register this hanko for official business?

Many Honko shops around - got mine off the internet, well my wife did. You may have to try a department store depending on your language level. Register it at the ward office.

3. where do I go to change my address on my gaijin card, etc.?
your new ward office

4. where do I go to re-register for the national health care?
you new ward office

I've tried looking all this stuff up on the net, and since I don't know the actual ward Hino is in, it's making it tough.

Here's the address of Hino City Hall
http://www.city.hino.lg.jp/index.cfm/14,25113,231,html

One google search input: Hino City Tokyo

Get 40% OFF
untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » April 6th, 2009 8:18 am

Thanks for the reply. I've since found the city hall, and have changed my address and gotten the health insurance renewed. Now have ordered an hanko which I'll be picking up within the hour of this message.

As for the bank, went to UFJ in Shinjuku and was told I have to apply near where I live. Odd, but this is Japan. Came back after buying the last overhead light for the new apartment, and Mizuho seemed more than helpful even though I needed a hanko to open the account. I asked for an application, and will have the boyfriend look it over tonight before taking it back.

At least I'm getting more experience in reading these applications. Never leave my dictionary at home anymore. Carry it with me always.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » April 9th, 2009 11:35 pm

The women at Mizuho near where I live were very helpful, and one spoke a little bit of English. The others were glad I brought my dictionary, and typed everything I didn't know into so we could get my account set up.

BTW, the ATM has English menus, so that won't be a problem until I learn the Japanese.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”