Page 1 of 1

What Is Yomi? On-yomi And Kun/kon-yomi?

Posted: September 28th, 2008 1:33 pm
by JamieJoystick
I cant remember if it was kun or kon yomi, sorry.

But anyway, what is it?

i figured its the kanji readings but thats all i got out of it?

Posted: September 28th, 2008 2:28 pm
by QuackingShoe
onyomi (音読み) are readings imported from the Chinese with the characters they were attached to. kunyomi (訓読み) are native Japanese readings attached to the characters after import.
Well, theoretically.

Posted: September 28th, 2008 2:45 pm
by JamieJoystick
Oh Right. I See.

So How Can You Tell Which Of The Reading Is Kun-yomi Or On-yomi?

Posted: September 28th, 2008 3:15 pm
by QuackingShoe
You can guess by how it's used (as described on the website), and simply how it sounds (you rapidly learn to tell the difference between Chinese-derived and Japanese-derived sounds; they're just different), but also any dictionary that lists the readings of a kanji writes the onyomi in katakana and the kunyomi in hiragana. Or in those (blurgh) romaji ones, I believe onyomi are ALL CAPS, but I might have it the other way around, it's been a long time since I've seen one.

Posted: September 28th, 2008 3:22 pm
by JamieJoystick
Oh K. Yea I Understand How You Could See The Difference When Its Written.

I Suppose Telling Them Apart Will Come With Practise.

Thanks For Your Help.