Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Most difficult language ?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

What is the most difficult language you have ever studied ?

Japanese
37%
Korean
7%
English
8%
Spanish
1%
Italian
1%
German
3%
French
10%
Arabic
7%
Russian
10%
Other (please elaborate ;-) )
16%

Total votes: 134

Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 13th, 2008 11:55 pm

halpin wrote:Being brought up in Ireland, Irish is drilled into kids in a format that hasn't changed in decades, having to memorise old poetry and stories that no child or even a PHD student has interest in reading. Nobody speaks it outside of school, except for very small communities in the west of Ireland. I do wish I was better at it though.

Nach féidir tú Gaelige a rå? Thuigim beagán agat.

The problems with Irish are political as much as anything else. They can't admit it to be in effect a foreign language for most Irish people and teach it with that in mind. And yet it's the country's first language, it takes precedence legally over English. Nor does it help that English language culture is so strong and Irish language culture not exactly up to date and exciting, so it's an uphill struggle to make it a daily language. (I had a laugh watching Harry Potter dubbed into Irish on TnaG so maybe there's some hope)
But I can speak it like a native... hardly at all!

I'm always amused by the Speak Irish communities on mixi. And the Irish language communities on the Internet. Why??

There was a great short film a few years back. A Chinese student wanted to go to Ireland so naturally he learnt Irish because that's what they'd speak in Ireland. He gets to Dublin and no-one can understand his beautiful Irish. Until in a pub Frank Kelly (I think) speaks to him in Irish and explains the mistake. The two guys at the bar comment to each other "Jaysus, I never knew Frank could speak Chinese!"

But actually my vote for a difficult language would be English. I'd hate to have to learn it from scratch. It's had so many influences on it that the spelling and grammar and vocabulary are thoroughly messed up. Then there's all the regional variation and accents. I'm glad I learnt it the easy way.

Of the languages I've encountered
English (Anglo-Irish) native
Irish 13 years and unfortunately disliked it much to my shame now. Oddly a lot of it is still in my head somewhere, beaten into me perhaps. I still have passive understanding. And I did learn it as a native language, so I've never had an understanding of the grammar and structures. Which was always the problem, we were expected to know it in the same way we knew English.
French 5 years at school, could never really speak it and have forgotten most of it.
Greek tourist stuff about a year, again mostly forgotten. I learnt to write it too.
Latin 3 years. forgotten, gave a good grounding in grammar though.
Dabbled in written Chinese for a while as a teen.
Japanese a slow 5 years now, mostly as a hobby. But it's the language I like the most and have had most success with because of that. I wish I had that enthusiasm when I was younger and might have been able to do more with it.
Knowing English has made me lazy I think. I've no great desire to learn any language except Japanese now, and I started Japanese more or less accidentally.

I can't say that any is more difficult than any other, it all tends to balance out in some ways. But Japanese is certainly different to all the others and does have a much more complex writing system, much really slows things down.

halpin
Been Around a Bit

Postby halpin » November 14th, 2008 10:21 am

Hi Belton,

Thanks for mentioning the movie, I did a search on IMDB and found it - Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom. I'd love to see it.

Did you watch In the Name of the Fada with Des Bishop? It was on RTE earlier in the year, but I caught it online. That actually got me interested in my own language again.

I reckon if Japanese was written in only latin characters, or Hiragana, I wouldn't have pursued it. When I am sometimes trying to say something in Japanese, I can write the kanji but the pronunciation temporarily vanishes from my head.

Get 40% OFF
Belton
Expert on Something

Postby Belton » November 14th, 2008 12:42 pm

In the Name of the Fada looks interesting.
Ties into the discussion of immersion learning on this site as well. All Irish All the Time!
I just watched Leimigí Thart (House of Pain's Jump About in Irish) on You Tube. Brilliant stuff; as I said there's hope yet. Maybe Peter-san can start GaeilgePod101 as well.

I found Yu Ming Is Ainm Dom on Atom
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/name_yu_ming/
Fluent Dysphasia is also good
http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/fluent_dysphasia/

Kanji have always interested me. Long ago I bought a birthday card for a friend written in fake Chinese and thought it must be possible to do it properly...

halpin
Been Around a Bit

Postby halpin » November 14th, 2008 3:23 pm

Great film. Well made too; especially the photography. Pitty that it's a little short. Thanks for sharing.

I agree, there's hope. I think when we're amongst Irish, we should try and throw in the odd word now and again (I live in London too, with the non-stop falling pound).

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » December 15th, 2008 4:18 pm

I'm a native to the English language and know a bit of French (although, I don't keep up with that anymore) and Japanese. But, the most difficult language I've attempted to learn is lojban, even though it's supposed to be quick to master. It's a constructed language, based on logic (tries to avoid the possibility of misunderstandings and such).

It is not native to a location and I suppose the lojban community is fairly small (although they get together in the world sometimes, I heard..), but I wanted to learn it because it sounded very interesting. It is interesting too.

Some info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lojban

halpin
Been Around a Bit

Postby halpin » December 15th, 2008 8:35 pm

lojban: This is called having too much time ;)

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » December 15th, 2008 10:56 pm

Though I can't imagine learning it to converse, I find the prospect of using it as an intermediary language for translation systems a rather promising one-- since Lojban is strictly based on logic with clearly defined meanings, one can accurately translate to and from Lojban without fear of misinterpretation. This allows a database of, say, Japanese->Lojban to be connected easily (and accurately) to a Lojban->English one.

Interesting, yes, and good for a community of linguistic scholars. Aside from that, it isn't that useful...

... I don't have that much time either. :lol:
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

jazzbeans
Established Presence

Postby jazzbeans » December 16th, 2008 9:04 am

Yes, I know people who's studied in in 3 months. Completely! They say it's really easy, but.. it wasn't for me. It's definately a good language for linguists, I wanted to see how different it would be to English and to see their achievement of reducing misunderstandings. Opening more doors to ways of speaking and ways of thinking too.

But yeah, no time to do it. Learning Japanese is far easier to me. Still, interesting, because I'm still learning a new way to speak. Although, I'm not all that good yet... ha ha.

Reading about their idioms and everything. So cool!!! (I loooove language & culture).
Ooh and I got a Japanese podcast and they were doing tongue-twisters. =D

lucagrisa
New in Town

Latin!

Postby lucagrisa » December 16th, 2008 4:28 pm

My native language is Italian, so the first foreign language I studied is English. I studied it from Elementary School all the way to High School (13 years) and I never had a good grasp of the language until I moved to US. The grammar is highly foreign to an Italian and the pronunciation was just killing me.
I started studying Japanese a year ago, and I find the grammatical structure fairly easy for being so logical. The kanji are not really scaring me, on the contrary I find they add a subtler layer to the language.
I believe romance languages -- Italian in particular -- might be hard for native English speakers because of the grammar ... I met people in US who have been studying Italian for years and still can't get the subjunctive right.

The most difficult language I ever studied: Latin.
It's mandatory in Italy in High School, so I studied it for five years. It's simply hard. The grammar is like Italian, just harder.

The best language to speak and listen to: Milanese :D
Too bad it's disappearing :cry:

oneredice
New in Town

Postby oneredice » February 2nd, 2009 8:08 am

dat5h wrote: Well, he actually says that Finnish is the hardest language he's ever studied. From the description ... I see what he means. there are 15 cases in Finnish but 16 in the plural form. Having never studied it, I can only speak on hearsay, but I believe it.

15 cases??? HOLY *word removed*?!?!?!!!?!??!?! how is that even possible. wow thats really something. gotta look into finnish.
im a native english speaker. but here are the languages i know, in order of difficulty for me (1 = hardest)
1) RUSSIAN - hands down... all the cases, grammar rules, etc. also, theres such a vast difference between conversational russian, and russian u hear on the news and stuff. it really felt like they were speaking a different language when i was learning it. love the langauge itself tho.
2) Tamil - my parents are indian, so i was learning this south indian language for my dad. check it out. the script is reallllly cool n curly looking but its a pain to memorize the sounds associated with it. like 1 character can represent multiple sounds (s, sh, ch, are all the same character) and depending on context u have to know what sound to produce. also there's a lot of weird sounds in it, westerners beware.
3) Turkish - this might not be that hard of a language, but i found it difficult because of the different accents they use, and how the accent change the letter. especially coz, french, spanish, german all use accents, i was getting very irritated while reading turkish text becoz i wud have to think about how to pronounce a word for a couple of seconds before i said it out loud. cool language, i wished they kept the arabic script for it tho.
I wont ramble on about the rest of them, but heres the order atleast:
4) Japanese - although its only been 5 months i've been trying to learn this
5) Spanish
6) German
7) Mandarin
8) Marathi/Hindi/Kannada (All three very different indian languages)
9) French

MichaelMcDonald
Been Around a Bit

Suomeako vaikeaa?

Postby MichaelMcDonald » February 3rd, 2009 6:54 pm

For once I can speak with some degree of knowledge...

I've lived in Finland for 10 years now (!), and I speak Finnish pretty well. It is definitely very hard, the language works in such a different way than any other language, at least any I know. It's true that there's 15 cases - instead of particles everything is just added onto the end of the words, making for some pretty long words. There's also some crazy letter changes that happen when you start adding on endings. But having studied Japanese for a year now on my own, I find Japanese even harder due to the Kanji learning curve. My most recent source of despair has been realizing that although kanji exist for certain words, they aren't necessarily used (i.e. balance of kanji vs. hiragana within sentences) - but you still need to learn all of them anyway. And how is the learner supposed to know when it's ok to write in hiragana and when to use kanji...?

Anyway, I agree that every language has its own challenges, so it's not easy to compare them. Still, this is an interesting topic.

ChaoticXSinZ
New in Town

Hard Languages

Postby ChaoticXSinZ » February 3rd, 2009 10:44 pm

I am somewhat multi-tongued.

• My mother tongue is Somali.
    I can speak and hold lengthy conversations but I am a bit ashamed to say that I don't know any grammar rules.They just come naturally I guess. I can't even read it that well either. (Uses Roman Letter [same as English] but different sounds).
  • English is practically my second mother tongue as I've been speaking English since I was a kid. My siblings and me speak in English all the time. I pretty much only speak in my mother tongue with relatives and my parents. I've been learning English in school since Junior Kindergarten (Grade 10 now). I can say that I have gotten pretty fed up with it. It does have it's fair share of grammar and spelling irregularities but there okay.
  • I can write and read / speak (with an almost natural sound) Arabic although I don't understand it. I can get the meaning of a few words here and there but I suggest that you never approach me for translation. The Arabic alphabet I find is pretty easy and it has a really nice poetic sound. Arabic and French are similar in that there must be agreement with the verb and noun in gender, number etc. One thing I dislike is that since Arabic letters can make different sounds they put some symbols to distinguish them. That's how I learnt. BUT they sometimes write the language without those symbols! I don't understand how you can choose between at least 6 different ways to say the letter when their is no indication there. Anyways, popular/famous Arabic works usually have those symbols to make it easier to read (like the Holy Quran).
  • My parents grew up in Kenya where one of the official languages is (ki)Swahili. When I was young they use to speak in it so we wouldn't know what they were saying. Eventually I stayed with my grandparents for awhile in Kenya and pretty much learnt a lot of it (although I probably forgot a lot by now). I can read it and some understanding. It is a pretty simple language in my opinion ( I actually got the highest mark in writing an essay in it among a class where the main language was Swahili!).
  • I've studied French in school in Grade 4, 7, 8, 9, and 10 (because French is Canada's Second Official Language). Although I pretty much learnt nothing in 4, 7, and 8. Most of my knowledge of French comes from Grades 9 and 10. I find pronunciation hard sometimes but doable. If you think English has some oddities then you have defiantly never seen French. There are so many exceptions to the rules. The are regular verbs which are easy to congregate and irregular verbs where you must learn each one.
  • I've recently started learning Japanese because it's a really cool language. I find that reading (romanji) is pretty easy cause of the phonetic nature of the language. I haven't started learning the kanji yet so I can't say about that.

In the end I'll have to say that French and Japanese are pretty hard.

Although my sister did pick up a German Language Book (German for Dummies) and I looked over it. I must say it looks quite hard.

sweetneet
Been Around a Bit

Postby sweetneet » February 10th, 2009 9:34 pm

i voted for Russian. i tried learning it a couple years ago and failed miserably. LOL. the alphabet was really easy to learn (learned it in a day)..the hard part was the pronunciation! the words would all blend together.German was similar for me.

i am fluent in Spanish and know some French so the romance languages are a breeze for me. And i think Japanese isn't a hard language to learn at all. I love the kanji, once you get the kanji down it's easy IMO. the pronunciation is trivial (it's not like Russian where it's hard to hear the indvidual sounds).

as for the hardest language, i can imagine English is one of most difficult languages to learn because of all the irregular verbs and all the slang terms and metaphors.

Kobukuro
Been Around a Bit

Postby Kobukuro » February 14th, 2009 10:29 pm

Mandarin
Latin
Japanese
German (native speaker, but sometimes I think, what the hell am I talking :D )
Russian (I studied it 2 years and the grammar was not as difficult as Latin, but I have forgotten nearly everything)

Oweyn
New in Town

Postby Oweyn » April 8th, 2009 12:00 pm

I thought that Korean would be the ideal language to pick up, since my strongest L2 is Japanese and I'd heard all sorts of rumours how Korean's grammar is the same as that in Japanese, etc. Haha! Biggest overestimation ever.

The hangeul were easy to learn, and it only really took the better part of an afternoon to learn how to write and pronounce Korean text. But no matter how hard I tried I simply couldn't tell the difference between the o/eo and u/eu vowels when I heard them on audio (plus stressed/aspirated/etc consonants). Moreso, unlike when I could assign understanding and memory to kanji, the masses of hangeul letters were all phonetically clear but the words' meanings were completely deaf to me. I realised that all my years learning Japanese had retarded my ability to comprehend languages that only used a set alphabet...

Mm, the closest thing I could relate learning Korean to was maths haha. I ran on back to Japanese soon after :)

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”