Page 1 of 1

Premium Plus...I'm tempted but cautious

Posted: May 16th, 2008 8:59 am
by sashimidimsum7250
Anyone else tempted? I know I am. Though it's hard for me justify the cost unless I can get more assurances of its benefits.

The 15 minute skype calls in particular sound very attractive, although 15 minutes seems a bit short to me, especially for me being a rather slow talker :)

I hope those that made the leap will share their experiences here. I'd love to know about how it all works. Yeah I know the info page (http://www.japanesepod101.com/help-cent ... formation/ ) gives some info, but doesn't really go into too much detail.

Knowing more will certainly make it easier to part with my money. :)

Re: Premium Plus...I'm tempted but cautious

Posted: May 16th, 2008 9:51 am
by ssomers
Hello, O-chazuke --

It's a very interesting service with great potential, I really do think. The cost, at first glance, is a bit hefty -- but no more so than a month's worth of cello lessons, tutoring in shôgi, or any other kind of hobby in which you benefit directly from expert knowledge.

I was most attracted by the individual tutoring. I think all of us, as learners, have very distinct hurdles and difficulties in learning Japanese. Some aspects, for whatever reason, prove to be more challenging and difficult than others. What's hard for you may not be hard for me, and vice versa. So, I do like the idea of this specialised attention, in which an accredited teacher identifies particular weaknesses and provides specific materials to address those problems.

I'm tempted, but I haven't taken the offer yet -- and perhaps now it's too late for their beta session? I think I might have been sold more promptly if JPod101 had provided a 'sample' packet. Some kind of dossier, including lesson materials and such, by way of example, would have shown me more clearly the kind of personal attention they intend to provide.

By and by, though, I think it's a great idea. I've sat through enough 'trade tutoring' sessions (Japanese<>English), in minging community centres, to know how important it is to have a speaking partner who knows what s/he is doing.

-Sean Somers

ochazuke wrote:Anyone else tempted? I know I am. Though it's hard for me justify the cost unless I can get more assurances of its benefits.

The 15 minute skype calls in particular sound very attractive, although 15 minutes seems a bit short to me, especially for me being a rather slow talker :)

I hope those that made the leap will share their experiences here. I'd love to know about how it all works. Yeah I know the info page (http://www.japanesepod101.com/help-cent ... formation/ ) gives some info, but doesn't really go into too much detail.

Knowing more will certainly make it easier to part with my money. :)

Re: Premium Plus...I'm tempted but cautious

Posted: May 16th, 2008 9:58 am
by sashimidimsum7250
ssomers wrote:
I think I might have been sold more promptly if JPod101 had provided a 'sample' packet. Some kind of dossier, including lesson materials and such, by way of example, would have shown me more clearly the kind of personal attention they intend to provide.



I wish I had said it so eloquently. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Posted: May 16th, 2008 10:59 am
by jkid
There is no way in the world I could afford the cost but I can see the benefits of this. On a side note, this wasn't well advertised was it? I had no idea of this new subscription level until reading this post.

Posted: May 16th, 2008 11:10 am
by ssomers
Hi, Jkid --

Are you subscribed to their newsletter? That's how I first heard about it.

I am by no means a well-to-do man; indeed, I am disconcerting proof that advanced degrees in the humanities can quickly lead to poor employment opportunities. (What can I say? I *had* been warned . . .)

The full price at $200, as I said, does seem steep . . . but I did want to point out that it's not out of range for the kind of one-on-one instruction (presumably) you would receive in return. But that's the sticking point for me . . . ok, a guided conversation for about an hour a week. Excellent. And I reckon it's more intensive than the kind of chit chat one can get for free by striking up a conversation with a native speaker at a bus stop.

And that touches upon my main interest: scheduled curriculum. That has excellent potential. For how long have I been diligently doing the Jpod101 lessons, waiting for more opportunities to fix the gaps that I, painfully, know still remain?

I'd put down the coin of the realm for some serious instruction. I'd skip the cinema and dinners out, in fact, if I could see some speedy improvement that the advert promises. But. without the right promotional material to convince me, I still feel that it's a large investment without enough proof of the educational collateral in return.

And, now that the discount quorum has been filled, I'm less inclined to plunk down the cash . . . not saying I won't at a later time . . . just hoping some friendly moderator will let the Powers know that some more information would be most welcome.

-Sean Somers


jkid wrote:There is no way in the world I could afford the cost but I can see the benefits of this. On a side note, this wasn't well advertised was it? I had no idea of this new subscription level until reading this post.

Posted: June 26th, 2008 6:51 am
by sashimidimsum7250
Can someone ,who is currently doing premium plus, please post your impressions so far? Purdy pleeze! :lol:

Posted: June 26th, 2008 7:15 am
by Javizy
I think this would suit me quite well. I'm very content learning by myself, and haven't hit any walls whatsoever so far, but it would be useful to have a native Japanese teacher to evaluate my progress, set goals, and generally give me some direction, and as well as a bit of structured speaking practice.

I think I'll wait a while to see how it pans out or to hear some reviews, although I doubt it would be easy to get a place even if I wanted :wink:

Posted: June 27th, 2008 9:58 pm
by markystar
i haven't spoken to any of the people who are doing it.

but yuuki is the one teaching currently and he's having a blast doing it! :D

Posted: June 27th, 2008 10:30 pm
by sashimidimsum7250
markystar wrote:i haven't spoken to any of the people who are doing it.

but yuuki is the one teaching currently and he's having a blast doing it! :D


That's certainly encouraging, but are his victims, er students having as much fun as him?
:lol:

I'm still hoping someone who is doing it shares their experience.

Posted: June 28th, 2008 4:41 pm
by markystar
but are his victims, er students having as much fun as him?


no idea.

but i'd love to role play "party in the burbs" which is what he was doing the other day. sounds like fun! woo-hoo!

:oiwai:

Posted: July 5th, 2008 8:32 am
by Ulver_684
Mina-san! :wink:

I also was I'm tempted but cautious with Premium class but when I saw the prices I also fell from my seat. :shock:I can't afford it! :P

Posted: January 30th, 2009 3:48 am
by Ulver_684
Mina-san! :wink:

I just saw that you can try the premium plus for 1 month for $47 dollars that's great I think I'm going to try it out! 8)