a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Comic Readers?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

jkid
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Comic Readers?

Postby jkid » May 10th, 2008 11:56 am

Belton's spidey sense has inspired me to create a thread on what comics people might be reading. I never thought myself to prefer one comic company over another but lately everything I've bought has been from Marvel.

Just picked up:

Invincible Iron Man #1
Iron Man Viva Las Vegas #1
Young X-Men #1
Young X-Men #2

Have yet to read any but I hope they're good.

Just started getting into comics recently, any rad recommendations can be posted (along with what your reading).

On a side note, the movie was really good. Although that is for another thread...

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » May 10th, 2008 12:24 pm

I'm a DC/Vertigo fan (and have always been; I read marvels for about a year and a half but got bored). Right now I'm reading :

- JLA
- JLA classified
- Batman
- Detective Comics
- Superman/Batman
- Batman Confidential
- Gotham Underground
- Batman and the Outsiders
- Catwoman
- All-stars Batman and Robin (is there a common thread here ? :) )
- 52/Countdown/Final Crisis (well, Final Crisis soon...)
- The Brave and the Bold (from time to time...)

- Hellblazer (the world's best comic in my opinion, with Neil Gailman's "The Sandman")
- Fables (world's second best comic...)
- House of Mystery
- The Vinyl Underground (great, reminds me of Grant Morrison's "The Invisibles")
- 100 Bullets
- The Exterminators
- DMZ
- Crossing Midnight (not so fond about this one actually, but next month is the final issue , so...)
- Jack of Fables (not so good as Fables, but still...)

And also

- Simpsons Comics
- PvP
さっぱり分からない !...

Get 40% OFF
jkid

Postby jkid » May 10th, 2008 4:28 pm

I liked what I've read of DMZ I think it is a great idea for a comic, I'll read more of it sometime soon. Everyone raves about Fables but I haven't read it yet. It seems a bit "off the wall" if I can put it that way. Maybe I should borrow the first trade from someone and just read it.

Also wanted to say as a person just getting into comics I feel a bit intimidated about getting into comics like JLA and say Batman for example because of all the arcs and back story that I have to catch up on given that a lot of the time there are things that happen in the "comic universes" that you've got to be aware of in order to appreciate or some times even understand what's going on. Wikipedia is a good source but with that much history it just seems to daunting.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » May 10th, 2008 4:37 pm

Actually I had the same feeling at the beginning, but never had any real problem with the Batman titles and/or JLA. For the brief time I read X-men and its spin-offs, I thought it was much more difficult, because of this very thing. I didn't know who half of the mutants were, how they related to each other, etc... the number of main characters in Batman is really small, and most people know about them even if they've never read the comic. I didn't find it so difficult...
さっぱり分からない !...

kc8ufv
Expert on Something

Postby kc8ufv » May 11th, 2008 3:10 am

Here's the list for me. Might as well practice the language at the same time. The last one is kinda tough, as it has no furigana.

魔法先生ネギま!
+Anima 「ブラスアニマ」
ラキスタ

markystar
Site Admin

Postby markystar » May 11th, 2008 7:04 pm

i'm so totally NOT into comics.

but i read deathnote and loved it (until L died, then it got kinda stupid, but i finished it anyways cuz i wanted to see Light take over the world, hehehehe).

recently somebody showed me some of the manga by a guy called 漫 画太郎 (man gataro) and it looks really crazy. like really way-out there underground style stuff. i think i'll start reading it. 今、すごい興味があるからさ!
ねぇ、ねぇ、私前にバンドキャンプでさ…

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » May 11th, 2008 7:12 pm

Actually I don't read many mangas... I'd say I read mangas maybe once or twice a year, and mainly old things I used to watch as anime when I was a kid (City Hunter, Cat's Eye, Ranma 1/2...).

And I don't read that many european comics either (Tintin and such, though I used to love it as a child).

But I'm completely addicted to DC... Lol!
さっぱり分からない !...

jkid

Postby jkid » May 12th, 2008 6:50 am

Marky,
Manga doesn't count, it's different :) I've tried reading manga but I just don't really like it. Same goes for anime, it's not generally something I enjoy.

I never really liked comics but I started liking them after I saw this series called "Kick Ass" it is about a kid who reads comics and just decides one day that he is going to become one and fight crime and all that jazz. It has been very successful and it is what got me into the stuff - read that and you'll get hooked.
( http://www.marvel.com/catalog/?id=8238 )

プチクレアさん you haven't read it have you? The response for it has been very positive but some people don't like. That's always how it is though. I'd love to know what you think of it if you have read it.

プチクレア
Established Presence

Postby プチクレア » May 12th, 2008 8:07 am

No I haven't, sorry... but it's not that old, and my best friend is heavily into Marvel, so I can probably lay my hands on it ...
さっぱり分からない !...

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”