a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

MSN chatting?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

maxiewawa
Expert on Something

MSN chatting?

Postby maxiewawa » May 29th, 2006 9:59 am

I have found that using MSN to chat helps me learn a language much faster. It won't help pronunciation but you can't have everything right?

Anyway, if you're interested pm me and I'll give you my addy.

I'm not too o-jouzu yet, but issho ni sou zettai narimasu!

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 29th, 2006 11:17 am

Just a note, you shouldn't attach "o-" to an adjective when you're talking about yourself, only when talking about others.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Get 40% OFF
Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 29th, 2006 11:36 am

Jason wrote:Just a note, you shouldn't attach "o-" to an adjective when you're talking about yourself, only when talking about others.

Ah, but do you know the difference between o- and go-? They're both the same kanji: 御, so how do you know when to pronounce it as "o" and when to pronounce it as "go"?

Many Japanese people can't answer this one, but you're pretty well-versed in some of the less-useful nuances of the language.

I'll post the answer tomorrow if you don't know. :wink:

Jason

Postby Jason » May 29th, 2006 11:46 am

Seems like I either heard or read somewhere that "o" tends to be attached to words of Japanese origin and "go" to Chinese and other origins. I have no idea if that's right or not, though.

Bueller_007 wrote:Many Japanese people can't answer this one, but you're pretty well-versed in some of the less-useful nuances of the language.

Thanks...I think...
Jason

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Postby Bueller_007 » May 29th, 2006 11:52 am

Jason wrote:Seems like I either heard or read somewhere that "o" tends to be attached to words of Japanese origin and "go" to Chinese and other origins. I have no idea if that's right or not, though.

お見事でした。
Except for some extremely common words, like お世話 or お上手, words using Chinese kanji readings (and other foreign words) take ご, and words using Japanese readings take お.

Jason

Postby Jason » May 29th, 2006 11:58 am

Ah, cool. :) I had no idea how reliable that info I got was.
Jason

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”