a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Has anyone dealt with Leo Palace?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Has anyone dealt with Leo Palace?

Postby untmdsprt » January 18th, 2008 8:30 pm

I've finally been hired by Interac, and they use Leo Palace to set up new teachers. They don't sound bad for the first year, but any for any longer, I'm going with a regular apartment. You better believe I'm saving my money to pay for key money, deposits, and other costs.

Has anyone lived in one of Leo Palace's apartments? My first gripe already is the internet not allowing you to do video/voice chat with an instant messenger. Is there any way around that? Do they make you pay for the internet even if you want another provider or none at all?

What other problems are there?

sinbadx81
Been Around a Bit

Postby sinbadx81 » January 24th, 2008 3:29 pm

I haven't personally lived in one, but I considered it when I was switching places. As a living space, the ones I've looked at seem relatively comfortable albeit small (compared with other apartments in the area).

I've talked with some folks who have lived there and the thing you've gotta look out for is damage etc. on moving out. They'll look for the smallest details to squeeze out your initial deposit.

But for short-term they're fine. If you plan on staying for a while, like a few years, you may want to find somewhere else.

Get 40% OFF
JonB
Expert on Something

Postby JonB » January 25th, 2008 12:06 am

sinbadx81 wrote:I've talked with some folks who have lived there and the thing you've gotta look out for is damage etc. on moving out. They'll look for the smallest details to squeeze out your initial deposit.

That's pretty standard for any Japanese rental property - I will have that fight in June when I move. They seem to have no concept of "normal wear and tear" - mind you I did screw up the first curtain rail I put up - guilty!

Even putting in a picture hook to hang a picture or mirror be careful - best to ask before.

And it is the law here that the landlord has to clean the property before a new person enters no mater how clean you made it - but you try persuading them that. After all what is the point in you spring cleaning when they have to do it themselves - they will try and claim that out of your deposit to save them money.

Again please note my comments are general and not Leo Palace specific.

Congrats on the job by the way!

annie
Expert on Something

Postby annie » January 25th, 2008 2:40 pm

I had to change all sorts of security features on the internet to be able to use any IM services, (and I have my own internet) you likely won't have the password necessary to do that. Also, no downloading bittorents at LeoPalace.

Another complaint I've heard is that the heat turns off automatically after a set amount of time, so you wake up freezing in the middle of the night.

But, leopalace is few-hassle accommodation. If you're in a big city like Tokyo or Osaka, you could live in a guesthouse until you can sort out your own place, but otherwise go with what the company will give you. Getting your own housing here is a hassle.

Congrats on the job! Do you know where you'll be posted yet?

sinbadx81
Been Around a Bit

Postby sinbadx81 » January 26th, 2008 2:27 am

JonB wrote:
That's pretty standard for any Japanese rental property - I will have that fight in June when I move. They seem to have no concept of "normal wear and tear" - mind you I did screw up the first curtain rail I put up - guilty!

I meant more so than the normal renting. For this particular Leopalace property at least, the inspection was much stricter than the usual apartment. So my friend ended up losing all her deposits. At other apartments she's been able to get at least some of the money back. It may vary just as it does for landlords at normal apartments though.

untmdsprt
Expert on Something

Postby untmdsprt » January 26th, 2008 2:36 am

Don't know yet, but should be hearing something in a few weeks. I've gotten an email from the recruiter that they're wanting people to come over in March. She said to play up my Japanese ability. That's good, most other places don't want to you to learn the language even though you have to live in Japan. Interac seems legit, and more helpful than Berlitz ever was. I've picked Yokohama, Nagoya, or Shizuoka as my top 3 choices, but who knows where I'll be placed.

Thanks for the comment about the heater. I'll be sure to buy an electric blanket or a portable heater so I don't freeze!!

Annie, what did you have to do to bypass the blocks? I want to be able to video chat with both ichat and Skype to family in the states.

Nice to know I won't get my deposit back. Saves me the trouble of cleaning.

foxyshez
Been Around a Bit

Re: Has anyone dealt with Leo Palace?

Postby foxyshez » January 27th, 2008 3:19 am

Not me but a friend lives in one - they are pretty small but less hassle than sorting an apartment.
Another option is roomshare! good for improving your Japanese-a lot of Japanese people are looking for a native english speaking roomie for the same reasons!

kochinokyo
New in Town

Living It Up in a Leo

Postby kochinokyo » January 27th, 2008 7:48 pm

annie wrote:I had to change all sorts of security features on the internet to be able to use any IM services, (and I have my own internet) you likely won't have the password necessary to do that. Also, no downloading bittorents at LeoPalace.

That's not necessarily true at all. When you say you can't download torrents do you mean because of speed? I am fortunate enough to live in one of the new Leo Palace apartments and it's huge (by Japanese standards) although also the smallest apartment I had been in before coming in. I got a friend who lives in one in Oimachi and it's an older one. No internet... not even a microwave. The new ones have remote controlled air conditioners. It's more high tech than how I was living at home. For the places that do provide a television, there are cable boxes that give 4 free channels, one being MTV Japan.

As for the internet, I download WHATEVER I want. At first my connection was on the slow side. But now, if I have multiple torrents downloading, I've seen my computer DL as fast as 1.6 MB/sec. That's like half an MP3 song per second! If you ever go move into a LP with free internet, just make sure that you have the user ID and password from Leo Palace Broadband.

Any questions? Give me a reply!

Elfunko
Expert on Something

Postby Elfunko » February 18th, 2008 10:50 am

I lived in LEO Palace in Osaka for about a month and a half. No problems at all downloading, using skype, etc. Good place, price is just too much. Its good for a short stint, but anything longer than 2 months I'd go with a real apartment and save money.

josiah
Expert on Something

Monthly Apartment

Postby josiah » February 18th, 2008 12:48 pm

Hmmm... looking at the webpage, it seems to be really expensive.
My girlfriend was looking for a place this year because we were thinking of living in Japan this year. She found a few monthly apartments in Osaka which averaged at about $700 a month (if staying more than 3 months). I believe there was also no key deposit as well too.
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”