a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Nintendo DS for a Relative Newbie?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

wndola
Been Around a Bit

Nintendo DS for a Relative Newbie?

Postby wndola » November 21st, 2007 6:36 pm

I have mastered kana and have about 50 Kanji. Yesterday my husband surprised me with a brand new Nintendo DS. I am really enjoying playing with the hiragana in the chatroom that comes with it, but what games should I be looking at at this point. I am definitely getting a Shogi game and Kanji Sonomama Rakubiki Jiten. But is there a game for the relative Kanji Newbie? or even a hiragana based vocab builder for kids?

DaemonForce
Been Around a Bit

Postby DaemonForce » January 19th, 2008 6:59 pm

*subscribed*

I have no way of answering this other than no. I have a rather small library of Japanese imported games and yes the Kanji Jiten is very useful since I use it half the time. Unfortunately, that's probably going to be the final measure of it. Sure you have quizes on the thing but it doesn't help when you're still not skilled enough to recognize a particular kanji, associate it with the first or second meaning, sound it out in your head and go on to the next kanji/kana fast enough to think about what you just read and answer properly.

I see several games for the DS in my library where I quickly fall into the same after simple questions like my name, age, gender....o_O

I want to say that there is something for the people that are in this weird gap but I don't think there is. At least not imported from Japan. So maybe I'm on the wrong track?

Get 40% OFF
wndola
Been Around a Bit

Postby wndola » January 19th, 2008 8:36 pm

since I posted this I have been working with elementary school kanji drills. I figure when I complete first or second grade I will start looking at the DS games again to reinforce what I have learned. The drill books seem to be the most effective way to memorize the kanji so far.

rob_whalan
New in Town

Postby rob_whalan » February 19th, 2008 5:08 pm

yeah I brought a Kanji game from Japan, but my Kanji is so Newbie I don't think I'll be able to use for another year or so... Sounds like you are really powering on and good at picking up Kanji, I'm only just onto Katakana so still beyond me yet ;).

Rob.

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » February 21st, 2008 11:08 am

This is probably the most approachable DS Kanji Software for beginners:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-9g- ... -1v6o.html

rob_whalan
New in Town

Postby rob_whalan » February 21st, 2008 2:00 pm

I'll have a look, can't get link to work at my work computer, have to try at home.

Yeah, Play-Asia is where I brought the game I currently have... I'll let you know.

Rob

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”