Or sign up using Facebook

New Mac ads

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

mark
New in Town

New Mac ads

Postby mark » May 4th, 2006 12:26 am

Hey all,

As I posted in a comment for one of the episodes, Apple released a new series of ads for the Mac, comparing it to Windows-based computers.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/ads/

Of particular, the "network" ad may interest some here, where the "Mac" meets a "Digital camera from Japan" and they exchange some Japanese, while the "PC" is confused and tries speaking Italian.

I didn't understand the last part, but supposedly she quips "Hey, don't you think he looks nerdy?"

http://news.com.com/2061-10793_3-606818 ... g=nefd.aof

Can someone post what she says at the end (romaji onegai shimasu)? I can't quite catch it.

Liz21
Expert on Something

Postby Liz21 » May 5th, 2006 3:05 am

Mark-san,
Yes, these ads are GREAT! 8) I saw two of them on TV, but it was fun to see all of them online. Thanks for the link! :D

Sorry, I couldn't catch what she said at the end.............I hope someone will translate it.

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » May 5th, 2006 4:14 am

Personally, I could have done without the stereotyping of PC users as dull, behind the times wannabes. What are we, in grade school? -_-
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Squallman
New in Town

Postby Squallman » May 5th, 2006 3:23 pm

It's not the users who are behind the times, it's the PC. That's why they say "Hi I'm a Mac" "And I'm a PC" and not "I'm a Mac user" and "I'm a PC user."

Seriously, didn't Windows XP come out in 2001?

Jason

Postby Jason » May 5th, 2006 4:53 pm

So what is it that PCs can't do since they're behind the times that Macs can?

Personally, I've always thought the whole PC vs Mac vs OS whatever is silly. All operating systems and system architectures have their strengths and weaknesses. Some are more suited for doing certain things than others. But the truth is there's very little that can be done on one that can't be done on the other.
Jason

Squallman
New in Town

Postby Squallman » May 5th, 2006 9:17 pm

Well, first off the operating system is much cleaner and smoother. Because Apple makes the hardware and the OS, there's so much less stabilty problems that it practically never happens (I've never had a mac crash in the 3 years I've had them, where I would come to expect crashes back when I used my pc.) So for the people who just use their computer for internet and word processing, it's a joy to use.

Second off, the software that comes with the mac is just awesome. iMovie, iDVD, iTunes, iWeb and Garageband. You could create your own music in Garageband, is it in a movie that you make with iMovie, burn it on dvd with iDVD and make a webpage to show it to everybody with iWeb right out of the box. I've convinced two friends to buy Mac Minis and one uses it to make movies (He said it was much better than anything he'd used before) And one of my friends uses Garageband to make a CD. He plays all the parts, and it's really easy to use. And the quality sounds better than stuff that a local band in my city made with a professional recording studio.

I would always avoid the subject of games until a while ago, because the selection of games avaliable for Mac is rather crappy, but with Boot Camp, you're able to install a Windows partition on your hard drive to play all the windows games on, or in case there's one piece of software that isn't mac compatible, you don't have an excuse not to switch.

But I could preach until I'm blue in the face, but it probably doesn't do any good. I used to blindly hate Mac just because other people did, until I actually used one and was quite impressed. It's a personal issue, but I personally just like having a computer that I don't have to wrestle with to do stuff.

And I didn't even mention viruses and spyware...

Jason

Postby Jason » May 5th, 2006 10:58 pm

Well, that wasn't my question. You haven't listed anything that can't also be done on a PC, even if you can't do it out of the box. And I've been responsible for about 6 laptops and a desktop running XP over the last few years. Total system crashes (Blue Screens of Death) have been very rare except when I screwed stuff up myself. Program crashes are occasional, but not all that common. Not one of them has been infected by viruses or spyware once since my family and I have had them. They're not that hard to avoid. You just have to be aware and compute smartly. And I've personally seen Macs, newer Macs, lock up. So the "Mac never crashes" line doesn't work on me. I've been in computer science long enough to be skeptical when someone says of an OS or program "It never crashes!"

But don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to badmouth Macs or anything. In fact, you may have seen my thread here about me being in the process of buying one of the new Macbook Pros now that they can also run XP. Ultimately I had 2 points:

1) I resent the ads' sophmoric approach of "use us! We're cool! They're lame!" rather than "use us! We're better suited for your needs."

2) People use computers and certain OSes for whatever reasons they have. Some OSes are better suited to some things than for others. But there is little you can do in one that you couldn't potentially do in the others. So saying one is superior or better than the other is meaningless. Each person should decide if a computer/OS is superior for them. Thus the whole Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs Whatever thing is just silly OS snobbery. A Mac may be superior for you, but may be a horrible choice for someone else. So compute and let compute.
Jason

mark
New in Town

Postby mark » May 6th, 2006 12:04 am

Jason wrote:1) I resent the ads' sophmoric approach of "use us! We're cool! They're lame!" rather than "use us! We're better suited for your needs."

Agreed. Personally I'm not fond of the ads as far as their marketing approach and think they could have done a much better job, but that's not what I was trying to get out of the thread.

2) People use computers and certain OSes for whatever reasons they have. Some OSes are better suited to some things than for others. But there is little you can do in one that you couldn't potentially do in the others. So saying one is superior or better than the other is meaningless. Each person should decide if a computer/OS is superior for them. Thus the whole Windows vs Mac vs Linux vs Whatever thing is just silly OS snobbery. A Mac may be superior for you, but may be a horrible choice for someone else. So compute and let compute.

Agreed again. Seeing as we're both computer science people, I guess we have a similar view. It's always a "best tool for the job" when it comes to computers IMO... what works for one may not work for the other. I use a Windows PC for work/gaming, but I use a Mac for general tasks. I do think that each platform has apps that lend themselves better towards certain tasks, but that's certainly a matter of personal preference.

With that out of the way... anyone catch the phrase?

Jason

Postby Jason » May 6th, 2006 12:16 am

mark wrote:With that out of the way... anyone catch the phrase?

I guess we did kinda sorta get completely off-topic there. f(^_^);; ごめん! m(_ _)m

I'm pretty sure she says:

ねねね。誰(あの男)?オタクっぽくない?
Ne ne ne. Dare (ano otoko)? OTAKU ppokunai?

Part of あの男 seems to have been cut off. Probably an editing error.
Jason

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » May 6th, 2006 9:13 pm

I think everyone got scared away by the holy war.

For the final phrase, I heard something like this:

ne ne ne. dare ano <something> otaku <something>kku ne.

The -kku might be "okku", which means annoying.

Maybe "dare ano? otaku okku ne"
Who is that over there? He's a bit of an annoying geek, isn't he.

But yeah, I can also hear a "p" around "okku".

OK, just did a search and found lots of different translations. None sound quite right. But this might be the first part:

dare ano ossan?

ossan = uncle, a rude term for a middle-aged man.

Jason

Postby Jason » May 6th, 2006 9:35 pm

No, I'm 99.9999999% certain she says オタクっぽくない/otaku-ppokunai?Adding -っぽい/ppoi to the end of a word is a very colloquial way of saying something is "typical of (word)" or "(word)-ish" or "(word)-like." So オタクっぽい/otaku-ppoi means "nerd-ish", "nerd-like", or more simply, "nerdy" like in the translation on the page linked in the first post. A few examples:

男っぽい/otoko-ppoi = "manly"
女っぽい/onna-ppoi = "womanly/girly"
子供っぽい/kodomo-ppoi = "childish"

-あの娘は意外と男っぽく喋って、自分を「僕」と呼ぶ。
-Ano musume wa igai to otoko-ppoku shabette, jibun o "boku" to yobu.
-"That girl speaks surprisingly boyishly, and refers to herself as "boku." (instead of watashi or atashi).

The more formal way to do it would to be to use らしい/rashii instead of っぽい/ppoi.

[edit] "Ossan" is very informal, though it's not necessarily rude. It depends on how it's used. It's short for "oji-san"
Jason

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » May 6th, 2006 9:43 pm

Ah cool, that makes sense. ppokunai didn't look like a real word, but it works as an ending.

red001
New in Town

Postby red001 » May 15th, 2006 9:52 pm

Jason wrote:Well, that wasn't my question. You haven't listed anything that can't also be done on a PC, even if you can't do it out of the box.

i agree. Personally I find that it's easier on the mac... for new users, or for those who regard computers as something that helps them do what they want to do and don't want to care about how it does it.

And I've been responsible for about 6 laptops and a desktop running XP over the last few years. Total system crashes (Blue Screens of Death) have been very rare except when I screwed stuff up myself. Program crashes are occasional, but not all that common. Not one of them has been infected by viruses or spyware once since my family and I have had them. They're not that hard to avoid. You just have to be aware and compute smartly. And I've personally seen Macs, newer Macs, lock up. So the "Mac never crashes" line doesn't work on me. I've been in computer science long enough to be skeptical when someone says of an OS or program "It never crashes!"

I know, i HATE THE beachball Macs have and the system hangs ALL the time on my 300mhz G4. I know it's old, and maybe it's a hardware problem (probably) but the ANNOYING thing about the mac is that it doesn't give me any error messages so i can't diagnose the problem.

But don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to badmouth Macs or anything. In fact, you may have seen my thread here about me being in the process of buying one of the new Macbook Pros now that they can also run XP. Ultimately I had 2 points:

1) I resent the ads' sophmoric approach of "use us! We're cool! They're lame!" rather than "use us! We're better suited for your needs."

I think each OS is superior to the other in certain ways. and like you said, depends on the user.

I usually recommend Macs to non-savvy people or those that are 40+ or those who want multilingual support. My Japanese wife loves the Japanese language support... from menus to dialog boxes to everything else multilingual... it's superior, imho.

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”