Or sign up using Facebook

Hello and Thank You!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

bkjphilly
New in Town

Hello and Thank You!

Postby bkjphilly » March 27th, 2007 11:24 am

Hello everyone!

My name is Brian James. I'm 36 years old, living in Pennsylvania - near Philadelphia. Today, I finally became a member of JapanesPod101. After many months of listening to the podcast on my way to and from work (1 hour drive each way), I decided I needed to get the PDFs, the Grammar Bank, everything Peter talks about.

I can tell you, that just after browsing around in my new account, I am VERY IMPRESSED. Everything is here that I need to really understand what I'm learning in the podcasts. I will be spending my lunch hour at work on JapanesePod101 from now on!

To the JapanesePod101 team (and you know who you are):

I want to say THANK YOU. When I was in middle school, I was in "Special Ed" (It's for people who they think have learning disabilities, when really it's for people who learn DIFFERENTLY) and because of that, I wasn't given an option of taking a language class. I wanted to learn a language, and wasn't allowed to! Can you imagine? When, I reached high school, I was no longer in Special Ed classes, and wanted to take a language... the problem now was, you had to had the language classes I didn't get back in middle school as a pre-requisite.

Having been into Anime in the early days (Science Ninja Gatchaman, Mach Speed Go-Go-Go, Astro Boy, 8th Man, Gigantor, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera ... and the like) I had no idea that all these awesome cartoons and shows were originally from Japan! One day I was at a friend's house, and we were watching Godzilla (the 1956 American version with Raymond Burr) and I noticed the female lead role's mouth wasn't making the same motions as the audio I was hearing (I later I noticed this in the kung-fu movies too), and I asked my friend why that was.

"Because she only speaks Japanese..." he answered.

After that, I was determined to learn more about Japanese, and anything I could about Japan.

So, here I am many years after my schooling, and I'm studying Japanese! I get a lot of odd looks from people when I tell them I'm studying Japanese. They'd say:

"Why Japanese?!? Why not French, or Spanish, or German?"

My answer:

"Why NOT Japanese?"

That usually shuts them up. Then I give them a sentence I've learned:

"Nihon rgyori wa monosugoku oishii desu yo!"

Now that, usually gets an "oh my god" look from anyone.

All this to say Thanks to everyone there at JapanesePod101.com for allowing a life-long dream of learning a language possible. Especially the one that holds my interest as much as Japanese does.

If anyone out there is in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/New York City areas who would like to chat and later on meet up for Nihongo chatting, discussion about movies, music, going clubbing (dance music is a MUST!) please contact me on my website at:

http://www.briankjames.com

Ja ne!

Sincerely,
Brian K. James

www.briankjames.com

JockZon
Expert on Something

Postby JockZon » March 27th, 2007 12:14 pm

Welcome to the jpod101 community Brian-san! I've studied japanese with this podcast for one year and have learned tons of things. I'm now able to chat entirely in japanese with my japanese contacts.

I hope you will enjoy it here.
Ja ne 8)

Get 40% OFF
Ulver_684
Expert on Something

Re: Hello and Thank You!

Postby Ulver_684 » March 27th, 2007 8:33 pm

bkjphilly wrote:Hello everyone!

My name is Brian James. I'm 36 years old, living in Pennsylvania - near Philadelphia. Today, I finally became a member of JapanesPod101. After many months of listening to the podcast on my way to and from work (1 hour drive each way), I decided I needed to get the PDFs, the Grammar Bank, everything Peter talks about.

I can tell you, that just after browsing around in my new account, I am VERY IMPRESSED. Everything is here that I need to really understand what I'm learning in the podcasts. I will be spending my lunch hour at work on JapanesePod101 from now on!

To the JapanesePod101 team (and you know who you are):

I want to say THANK YOU. When I was in middle school, I was in "Special Ed" (It's for people who they think have learning disabilities, when really it's for people who learn DIFFERENTLY) and because of that, I wasn't given an option of taking a language class. I wanted to learn a language, and wasn't allowed to! Can you imagine? When, I reached high school, I was no longer in Special Ed classes, and wanted to take a language... the problem now was, you had to had the language classes I didn't get back in middle school as a pre-requisite.

Having been into Anime in the early days (Science Ninja Gatchaman, Mach Speed Go-Go-Go, Astro Boy, 8th Man, Gigantor, Ultraman, Godzilla, Gamera ... and the like) I had no idea that all these awesome cartoons and shows were originally from Japan! One day I was at a friend's house, and we were watching Godzilla (the 1956 American version with Raymond Burr) and I noticed the female lead role's mouth wasn't making the same motions as the audio I was hearing (I later I noticed this in the kung-fu movies too), and I asked my friend why that was.

"Because she only speaks Japanese..." he answered.

After that, I was determined to learn more about Japanese, and anything I could about Japan.

So, here I am many years after my schooling, and I'm studying Japanese! I get a lot of odd looks from people when I tell them I'm studying Japanese. They'd say:

"Why Japanese?!? Why not French, or Spanish, or German?"

My answer:

"Why NOT Japanese?"

That usually shuts them up. Then I give them a sentence I've learned:

"Nihon rgyori wa monosugoku oishii desu yo!"

Now that, usually gets an "oh my god" look from anyone.

All this to say Thanks to everyone there at JapanesePod101.com for allowing a life-long dream of learning a language possible. Especially the one that holds my interest as much as Japanese does.

If anyone out there is in the Philadelphia/New Jersey/New York City areas who would like to chat and later on meet up for Nihongo chatting, discussion about movies, music, going clubbing (dance music is a MUST!) please contact me on my website at:

http://www.briankjames.com

Ja ne!

Sincerely,
Brian K. James

www.briankjames.com

Welcome aboard this ride call JP101! :wink:

I agree with you, JP101 really works! I have learn alot in this nine months! 8)

To tell the truth I started this has a hobby then I say to myself why not learn Japanese seriously when I love Anime/Manga, JPop, JRock, JHorror, it's culture, it's people and I have a past life connection with Japan!

It's not easy but I really hope to past the newbie level and start a beginner level then a intermadiate level and so on until I know Japanese 100%!

Return to “JapanesePod101 Listener's Lounge”