Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Any Podcast Aggregator for Windows besides iTunes that work?

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

ewangrantham7808
New in Town

Any Podcast Aggregator for Windows besides iTunes that work?

Postby ewangrantham7808 » June 1st, 2013 4:12 am

Just spent the last several hours installing and uninstalling Juice, Miro, gPodder, and a few other Windows Podcast aggregators. They all seem to have one of two issues:

For all of them besides Juice, they will let you select a max of 1000 episodes, and those are based on timestamp. Which suggests I would have to setup several different feeds to get all my premium stuff (maybe that is the expected behavior).

For Juice, it will list all the episodes, but it grays out the "Select All" option which leaves me having to click, one by one, several thousand boxes.

I am currently running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit, and have read horror stories about iTunes on this.

Is there any program out there that would let me grab everything in one go?

I would take it bit by bit, but was hoping to do studying over lunch break as well as in the evenings, and my workplace frowns on internet use for non-work related "stuff".

Thanks in advance!

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: Any Podcast Aggregator for Windows besides iTunes that w

Postby community.japanese » June 1st, 2013 10:01 am

ewangrantham7808-san,
kon'nichiwa.
We're very sorry about troubles you're facing.

I'll talk to our tech team so that someone can get back to you with proper help.
Thank you very much for your patience! :flower:

Natsuko(奈津子)
Team JapanesePod101.com

Get 40% OFF
Teabag
Established Presence

Postby Teabag » June 1st, 2013 3:54 pm

ewangrantham7808 wrote:
Is there any program out there that would let me grab everything in one go?

Hi,
When you figure it out, please let me know as well.
This is the first time I learn a language with podcast, and I expected to be more user-friendly.
I am using iTunes (11).
The problem I have now is for example there are several hundred episodes or tracks or whatever you call it under my JP101 Adv S1 feed. Every single episode or blog starts downloading only after I double click the "down arrow" button on the right. Is there a "download all" button hiding somewhere so I can listen non-stop?

Good thing is that I have 6 months to figure this out before my subscription expires.

mmmason8967
Expert on Something

Postby mmmason8967 » June 1st, 2013 6:11 pm

Teabag wrote:Is there a "download all" button hiding somewhere so I can listen non-stop?

Each new version of iTunes seems to be worse that the one before, and the interface keeps getting more and more impossible to figure out. Version 11 is probably the worst piece of software I've ever used...

Anyway, if you've got iTunes open and you're looking at your JapanesePod101 podcasts, you should be able to see a button that says Podcasts at the top left and another button that says iTunes Store on the top right. Centred between these buttons you should see Unplayed, Podcasts and List. Click List.

On my iTunes there's only one item in this list: JapanesePod101.com Premium Feed. You may possibly see more items in the list than I do, but the one we're interested in is this one--the JaanesePod1010.com Premium Feed. It should be labelled Get ALL the Lessons Audio, Bonus Audio and PDF Files in the JapanesePod101.com Premium Feed!.

To the left of this item you should see a blue ball or circle (God alone knows what that's supposed to tell you). Slightly to the right there's a dark grey arrowhead pointing at the words JapanesePod101.com Premium Feed. Click the arrow head.

The dark grey arrowhead should now be pointing downwards and you should be seeing all the items in the feed. On the very top row you should see that a button with an arrow has appeared next to the name of the podcast--that is, just to the right of the words "JapanesePod101.com Premium Feed" but still inside the Podcast column. This button is the one that will download the entire feed.

Hope this helps! The feed is huge and will take many hours to download: you might want to leave it running overnight.

マイケル

Teabag
Established Presence

Postby Teabag » June 2nd, 2013 3:01 pm

mmmason8967 wrote:The dark grey arrowhead should now be pointing downwards and you should be seeing all the items in the feed. On the very top row you should see that a button with an arrow has appeared next to the name of the podcast--that is, just to the right of the words "JapanesePod101.com Premium Feed" but still inside the Podcast column. This button is the one that will download the entire feed.

マイケルさん
Amazing, super, brilliant!!
I didn't expect to get an answer so quickly, let alone a step by step instruction!
Thank you so much.
It's a shame there's no "like" button here on the forum or I'd love to give you a thousand "like!"
Think they have to put this step by step instruction in the Help Center to save a wreck like me (while looking for solutions). However, it's kind of interesting to learn it's more important to understand all those icons/symbols than be able to read when working with iTunes.

I had expected trouble with iTunes so my 1st JP101 feed is only of a certain season, not all of the stuff I need.
With your help, I am officially a Premium member now.
本当に本当に有難うございました。

Teabag

milesprower5275
New in Town

Postby milesprower5275 » June 25th, 2013 8:28 pm

All these podcast programs are a nightmare. I've spent some hours trying so many. With gpodder, I found a way to get past the 1000 limit, you just open the config editor and set the limit to 10000 or something and then close the program by right clicking on the taskbar, the config editor should still be open, but reopen the program, and then it should let the limit be 10000 - however, this still didn't work for me because it kept giving an error on PDF files (and sometimes the downloading wasn't so good). Juice is just too simple and basic; I have no idea of the whys and wherefores for the lack of a "download all" method. Whilst searching through Startpage on how to download all podcasts with Juice, it seemed like nobody knew, so I realised that it wasn't possible, but whilst doing that, one of the search results was this page: http://blog.arogan.com/2008/11/rcfeedme.html
YES! Therein is easily the best podcast software I've come across! Now, I still had to do one workaround though, but hopefully you don't (because apparently it wasn't downloading the feed, even though I had entered all credentials and proper settings). I had to save the .xml feed file onto a local server, and then enter the address of that local server as the feed address (you still have to use your login credentials, as I think that it uses them for each file and they are required).

Anyway, I'm so happy to start learning Japanese with JP101. I came from GP101, and it was just great, so I had to come here! Innovative Languages' P101 sites are awesome :D

Return to “Technical Support”