Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Beware of iOS6 on iPad!

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

confusionary9335
New in Town

Postby confusionary9335 » September 23rd, 2012 4:10 pm

mrsspooky5154 wrote:I have a Mac so I'm looking into whether I can script a bulk update. It won't be too bad to reupload everything to the iPad, it's just getting the fonts actually embedded into the pdf.

I mean.... It makes sense to use the OS's fonts for that. It greatly reduces the size of the file. Plus, for some reason I want to say it may be the default to save files depending on the fonts in the OS.

Yeah, I tried changing the system font to Japanese too and it didn't help me either. :\

This is the first time I've ever had Apple break something on me - guess my luck ran out.

The fonts are on the iPad, if you bring up one of the PDFs and select the thumbnail view you can actually see that it displays the pages correctly. It's just the regular page view that is broken for some reason. Also, printing to PDF this way is not printing the files as images, it uses the real fonts. (On the Mac, I don't know about Windows.)

As far as scripting goes there are a couple of ways to do it but both of them were more effort than I am willing to go through. Since I don't actually need more than one season of lesson notes at a time, I just opened all of them at once in Preview and printed it to a PDF. It makes one big PDF, which is a little inconvenient, but between the thumbnail view and searching it's not hard to find something.

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

Better workaround

Postby paulwalth7002 » September 24th, 2012 1:54 am

I got a response from he tech team on this site... I had sent an email right away and didn't know it was even related to iOS 6. Anyway they told me to download adobe reader and it would work fine. They're right. It works fine with adobe reader. I don't know what PDF viewer safari is using or why PDF notes fails so badly with it. I am guessing your favorite PDF viewing app just needs to be updated to the new iOS and if you let them know they can fix it.

I'm wondering how much I'll like adobe reader.

Get 40% OFF
mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » September 24th, 2012 2:04 am

HEY, THAT WORKS!!!

That's awesome!

I have them all in GoodReader. I just click on "Manage files" select what I want to open then click the "open in" button. Select "send as is" then Adobe Reader and i get the lesson notes, kanji and all.

jaehwi
Established Presence

Hi

Postby jaehwi » September 24th, 2012 4:01 am

Hi everyone,

After upgrading to iOS6. you won't be able to read the Japanese font on the iBooks and Google Reader. In that case, please download the application named 'Adobe PDF reader' and open the PDF using the application.

Alternatively, you can also download the PDF lesson note lite version, which has the embedded font.

Thank you!

Sincerely,
Jaehwi
Team JapanesePod101.com

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » September 25th, 2012 3:18 am

For what it's worth...

I had been emailing with GoodReader support about the issue. I let them know that Adobe Reader displays the fonts. They acknowleged the information and I believe may now be working on the fix - for those who use GoodReader for the lesson notes, this is good news.

Now that they know they CAN be displayed on iOS 6, I'm sure they can come out with an update.

paulwalth7002
Been Around a Bit

PDF reader iPad

Postby paulwalth7002 » September 25th, 2012 3:25 am

I used an app called PDF notes. I have good reader too. I'm gonna give adobe reader a try though. I heard back from the app authors of PDF notes and they said they were well aware of the issue and that adding the fonts that apple removed from iOS was way beyond something they could do.

Meh. Using iTunes to add a few files to my iPad and its adding a mountain full of videos for unknown reasons. I hate iTunes like you wouldn't believe. A more difficult and hard to use piece of software was never created.

teflteacherdave7426
New in Town

Re: Beware of iOS6 on iPad!

Postby teflteacherdave7426 » November 2nd, 2012 5:57 am

I just updated my iPhone to 6 and have the same problem.... no Japanese at all in my PDF files in iBook, making this site fairly worthless for me.

Yes, one could save everything as a PDF file (before printing), but with thousands of files that is impractical.

Any fixes out there as of November 2???

jaehwi
Established Presence

Postby jaehwi » November 2nd, 2012 6:44 am

Hi everyone,

Since Apple iBooks started not supporting the Asian languages including Japanese, Chinese and Korean on iBooks, please check the following alternative ways to read your PDF lesson notes correctly on your iPhone.

1. If you're using my feed, please select 'PDF Lesson note lites' when you make your own feed. These PDF lesson notes have the embedded fonts.

2. You can also try other iPhone applications supporting the Asian languages, such as Adobe PDF reader.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Jaehwi
Last edited by jaehwi on November 5th, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » November 2nd, 2012 3:45 pm

I should note that GoodReader depends on iOS support for displaying those characters so it does NOT work with the standard lesson notes. I'm using GoodReader and reported the problems in hopes they can fix it.

I've tried a number of pdf readers and the only one that seems to work at all is Adobe Reader.

Also, iOS 6.01 was released yesterday and I have confirmed that it does not fix the problem.

Starhowl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Starhowl » January 3rd, 2013 8:19 pm

1. If you're using my feed, please select 'PDF Lesson note lites' when you make your own feed. These PDF lesson notes have the embedded fonts.

That option doesn't exist, only 'Lesson Notes PDF', 'Kanji Close-Up PDF' or in the upper category 'All PDF Material'.

Furthermore, I know this may sound bold - but just writing something like "I hope they will fix it." isn't enough; you as a company should get in direct contact with Apple.

mrsspooky5154
Been Around a Bit

Postby mrsspooky5154 » January 3rd, 2013 8:28 pm

You know, I think that would make more of a difference than all of us complaining. I told Good Reader support about it, even sent them one of the lesson notes and told them that Adobe Reader works - so they SHOULD be able to fix their application. They just put a note on their support pages saying that iOS 6 breaks multibyte (Japanese, Chinese, Hindu, Arabic, etc) character support, so it looks like they're not going to fix it. I paid a lot of money for that app specifically for my JapanesePod101 lesson notes and now it doesn't work. I hate Adobe Reader, and it's going to be murder transferring everything into that application.

I know, if we could set up a lesson note lite feed, I could delete what I have and download then load them into the pad.

For what it's worth, I have Japanese/English pdfs from a few other sources too that have the same problem, so this must be a fairly standard way of doing things.

iamwilljackson5867
New in Town

Postby iamwilljackson5867 » January 4th, 2013 11:43 am

I had the same problem, but using the (free) Adobe Reader App seems to work on the few I have tried.

kwjmru1528
New in Town

Postby kwjmru1528 » April 30th, 2013 3:45 am

up

Return to “Technical Support”