Or sign up using Facebook

If you have iPhone/iPod app questions, please read first

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

community.japanese
Expert on Something

Re: If you have iPhone/iPod app questions, please read first

Postby community.japanese » January 25th, 2013 6:36 am

bluebris-san,
glad to know you've solved your problem now!
Hope you'll enjoy our lessons on your iPhone! :)

Natsuko(奈津子),
Team JapanesePod101.com

bluebris
New in Town

Postby bluebris » January 27th, 2013 8:47 am

Guys,
athough this works for JapanesePod101 podcasts, using it this way means that I can't download any other podcasts, because when I try to do some from the Music app using the Podcast option, it tells me I have to install the Podcast app to download from there, so while it's great that I can do this for Jpod101 it means that the vast majority of my podcasts can't be used, which isn't really acceptable.

Any ideas?

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » January 27th, 2013 9:27 am

If you want to listen to podcasts using the Music app, then unfortunately no. The only way to do it under iOS 6 is to subscribe to them through iTunes on your computer and then sync them to your device. There are a lot of good 3rd party podatcher apps in the Store, though. They'll let you subscribe, download, and listen to podcasts without having to deal with iTunes. I've never used any of them myself, so unfortunately I can't recommend any particular one.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

bluebris
New in Town

Postby bluebris » January 27th, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks Jason. I think though, that as a huge number of Jpod101 members will be iOS users, then your technical guys should be finding a way to make this work. Having to use different applications for different podcasts isn't really a very user friendly way to do things. I appreciate this is down to apple being, well, apple, but I think you need to find a way to make this work.

Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » January 27th, 2013 11:27 am

You don't have to use different apps. A 3rd party podcatcher app can handle any podcast subscription you want including JPod101. As long as it supports authentication, you can even use things like the premium feed and My Feed that need you to login to access. Because Apple removed the ability to browse, subscribe, and download podcasts with the Music app in iOS 6 (this is beyond our control. We can't do anything about that part), you basically have 2 choices for podcasts if you don't want to deal with that horrible Podcasts app:

1) manage and download your podcast subscriptions with iTunes on your computer and sync them to you device, or
2) find a good 3rd party podcatcher app to manage, download, and play your podcast subscriptions.

Either one of these solutions will work to manage all the podcasts you want to subscribe to. There's no need to use one method for some podcasts and the other for other podcasts.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

Starhowl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Starhowl » May 10th, 2013 8:05 am

First of all, thank you for fixing the PDFs.

Second, I just paid for Downcast for my iphone to be able to see the lesson text again. Though it does display the text, it's completely unformatted.

Now I'm wondering what app to buy to get my lesson text in the podcasts displayed properly again?

bluebris
New in Town

Postby bluebris » May 10th, 2013 9:49 am

Huskypaw wrote:First of all, thank you for fixing the PDFs.

Second, I just paid for Downcast for my iphone to be able to see the lesson text again. Though it does display the text, it's completely unformatted.

Now I'm wondering what app to buy to get my lesson text in the podcasts displayed properly again?

Hi,
I use icatcher app.
I just enter the URL from my feed on jpod101.com then username and password
and assuming you set up your feed to show the lesson text it should work fine.
I'm able to read the hiragana, kanji and romaji versions perfectly (iPod touch and iPhone both.)

Starhowl
Been Around a Bit

Postby Starhowl » May 10th, 2013 10:11 am

Confirmed; iCatcher works perfectly well.

paloma_ill
Established Presence

Postby paloma_ill » May 17th, 2013 12:46 am

Hi everyone!

That's great to hear that this App is working fine with our PDFs!
Thanks for letting other students know about it too!

Paloma
Team JapanesePod101

Return to “Technical Support”