a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

love episode

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sutekikanojyo
Established Presence

love episode

Postby sutekikanojyo » June 11th, 2006 4:43 am

dunno if you guys have done this yet, but i'd love to learn how to say "i love you" in japanese! and maybe other such things like sweetheart or honey or baby other such pet names ^.~; :oops: call me sappy, but hey! lol sorry if you've already done it!
*~.SutekiKanojyo.~*

Bueller_007
Expert on Something

Re: love episode

Postby Bueller_007 » June 11th, 2006 11:51 am

sutekikanojyo wrote:dunno if you guys have done this yet, but i'd love to learn how to say "i love you" in japanese! and maybe other such things like sweetheart or honey or baby other such pet names ^.~; :oops: call me sappy, but hey! lol sorry if you've already done it!

愛してる ("ai shiteru") is "I love you." But it's quite a serious phrase. You might want to stick with あなたが大好き "anata ga daisuki" which basically means "I like you a lot."

Get 40% OFF
Jason
JapanesePod101.com Team Member

Postby Jason » June 11th, 2006 1:08 pm

My (ex-)Japanese teacher once told us that 愛している sounded more "literary", and she wouldn't expect to hear it much outside of like books and TV. As for pet names, I imagine it's much more common to call the person by a nickname, maybe a shortened form of their first name + -chan or maybe even -tan.
Jason
Manager of Mobile & Mac Applications

sutekikanojyo
Established Presence

Postby sutekikanojyo » June 11th, 2006 6:23 pm

doumo ^.^ thanks for replying!

i can't see the characters you used :( can you write it in romaji?

thanks so much!
*~.SutekiKanojyo.~*

JockZon
Expert on Something

Re: love episode

Postby JockZon » June 11th, 2006 8:25 pm

Bueller_007 wrote:愛してる ("ai shiteru") is "I love you." But it's quite a serious phrase. You might want to stick with あなたが大好き "anata ga daisuki" which basically means "I like you a lot."

There is the romaji!

sutekikanojyo
Established Presence

Postby sutekikanojyo » June 11th, 2006 8:53 pm

woops!!! ^.~' :oops: did bueller post that before jason did?!?! hehehe i feel silly :-]

i figured daisuki would work, and that's what i would use before... but thanks bueller-san! :D
*~.SutekiKanojyo.~*

Jason

Postby Jason » June 11th, 2006 10:49 pm

sutekikanojyo wrote:i can't see the characters you used :( can you write it in romaji?

If you use Windows and you need help getting Japanese character to show up, take a look at this thread:

http://www.japanesepod101.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9

Once you get that working, if you use Firefox (and if you don't, you should :mrgreen:), this plugin can be a great help:

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/
Jason

metablue
Expert on Something

Postby metablue » June 17th, 2006 9:17 pm

Isn't だいすき (daisuki) also pretty serious? My friend with the Japanese girlfriend had an embarrassing moment during his first telephone conversation with her mother. He said "I love your daughter", using だいすき, and the mother was all shocked and surprised. Apparently it means "I love your daughter (so much that you can expect a wedding soon)". The gf laughed and said だいすき was a bit much since they'd only been dating a couple of months.

Jason

Postby Jason » June 17th, 2006 9:39 pm

Depending on the context it's used in (like the one you're talking about), yes. It can sound very serious.
Jason

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”