a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Newscast Part II

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Javizy
Expert on Something

Newscast Part II

Postby Javizy » March 30th, 2008 9:14 am

I made a suggestion thread before about a newscast style lesson(s), and I was wondering what the reaction was to it? I remember a few other people agreed it was a good idea, and there is also the weekly news lesson on EnglishPod.

I've realise lately that my listening comprehension is fairly good for conversational Japanese, no doubt thanks to all the lessons on here, but newscasts and other detailed explanations completely fly over my head, including the translations of the EnglishPod news lessons. There isn't anything close to that level on this site really, and they manage to include political and scientific vocabulary while still being entertaining.

I don't believe a few lessons alone would boost me or anyone else to an advanced level, but it would be great to have a transcript and some explanations to help break down something complicated like this.

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » March 30th, 2008 3:11 pm

I agree with your idea, Jpod101 should have relatively more advanced lessons to bring its student to another height. Having lessons on news is one way to improve our Japanese.

I know I have been constantly complaining about Spod101, I just find it weird, under the same company, why is this 2 podcast having such a different policy? Jpod101 has more than 300 beginner level lessons, and Jpod101 is still churning out a lot of beginner lessons, good in a way, but shouldn't the focus be on advanced level? On the other hand, Spod101 has about 30 beginner level lessons, but it seems to focus on advanced audio blogs and regional languages. Spod101 should be like Jpod101, focus on beginner level, instead it did the other way round.

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » March 30th, 2008 4:24 pm

I just remembered that they mentioned a video news series presented by Sakura in the newsletter. If it's at the kind of level I described then I'm very eager to see it, as if the prospect of Sakura's return wasn't cool enough. I wonder if Peter will be playing the role of あいずち女 :lol:

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » March 31st, 2008 8:11 am

i think this would be a good idea also.
if you've ever listened to transpacific radio, which i recommend as an excellent source for japanese news in english, but if we had a news broadcast similar to this in japanese, then that would be really cool!
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » April 19th, 2008 6:24 pm

I wish jpod101 can have lessons teaching us how to listen to Japanese news, such as teaching us some of the most important words that will appear in almost news. Looking forward to it.

arrowisland
Been Around a Bit

Postby arrowisland » April 29th, 2008 10:45 pm

I was just about to make this suggestion myself. Supposedly the news is among some of the hardest language to learn from another language, but I think a lot of the same expressions are used over and over, so once you know them it's not so difficult. I'd love to see a lesson or two focusing on some of those.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”