Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

More depth in lessons and less in number.

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Postby Neil53 » February 19th, 2008 8:57 pm

I am overwhelmed with the number of words, phrases, grammar points coming out of the upper, lower, blog, and sights and sounds lessons. I feel like I am trying to swallow an open fire hose of information. I would like more effort on the depth of vacabulary explained, examples of usage, and in the number of examples of the grammar. I suggest a cut back on the volume and increase the depth in each lesson. You will have less overworked employees and listeners.

I believe you could cut back on the number of blog lessons and sights and sounds lessons to give you the resources to do this.

mrarlen
New in Town

Good point

Postby mrarlen » February 20th, 2008 7:44 am

I like what you're saying. So far, I've been sticking to the Survival phrases and learning a few things at a time.

Doing that, it hasn't been overwhelming. But when I tried to jump from one level to another it got really confusing.

Do you have at least a Basic membership? If not, I can see where you would have some trouble.
-------------------------
:)
God bless you!

Get 40% OFF
Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 20th, 2008 8:57 am

You definitely need to read the PDF's if you want the stuff to sink in, listening alone is extremely ineffective. I usually keep returning to the PDF until I can fully understand the full speed dialogue, and I find I absorb the grammar fairly easily. For vocabulary, it's still useful, but using a flash card system has longer lasting effects.

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » February 20th, 2008 10:16 am

I hope they don't cut back on the Lower Intermediate and Upper Intermediate because I think there would be a riot if that happened. :shock: :? :shock:

Neil53
Been Around a Bit

Postby Neil53 » February 20th, 2008 4:06 pm

I have a basic membership, but I also have a job and family. The vacab words need to be used in more than one lesson. More of the words in a lesson need to be defined and more examples of the grammer point given. A different lesson every day including Saturday is way to much for me to remember all the new words and phrases being offered.

I only focus on the intermediate and Miki's blog, but even given that, the rate information is being dished out is too fast for it to sink in to the extent it is usable in my active conversation. I need more reenforcement and less speed.

kitty-chan
Established Presence

Postby kitty-chan » February 21st, 2008 8:12 am

I doubt they'll repeat words in the blog since those aren't lessons. 8) 8) 8)

I, for one, am in college. So I have a lot of free time so I like getting all the material, it's really quite amazing how much there is. I never get bored! :kokoro: :kokoro: :kokoro:

Javizy
Expert on Something

Postby Javizy » February 21st, 2008 12:14 pm

Rather than a complete reshuffling of the site at the risk of displeasing all the listeners who are happy with the way it is, wouldn't it be easier for you to change the way you study the lessons? If there are too many words, only learn a number you are comfortable with, like 5 a day or something. Get a flash card program like Anki so you can easily review them (it's even available for mobile devices, so you can do it when commuting).

Having vocabulary words reappear in dialogues would be nice, but it would affect the lesson content. If last week's UI lesson's words reappeared, we'd need another manic depressive suffering side-effects of medication. It's likely you'll have the exact same problem after hearing them a second time anyway, whereas something like Anki is proven to be effective (it's so good, you could probably remember all the words).

josiah
Expert on Something

Postby josiah » February 21st, 2008 1:12 pm

another option is too just use the words you know until you can't forget them.
i know that for me, the more english i speak in everyday life, the easier i forget the japanese i know.
i know its not hard to pick up again, but the longer you leave it...
so if possible, the best way is too just use it :wink:
あなたの敵を許しなさい。だが、その名前は決して忘れるな

デスノートにお前の名前書くぞ!!

Psy
Expert on Something

Postby Psy » February 21st, 2008 10:33 pm

I'm afraid I have to agree with the majority here. If there is too much material in a given lesson, you should not move on until you understand it well, and then return to it in about a week. Everyone forgets vocabulary... everyone. The only solution is dedication. Learn it, use it, listen for it, and use it more. You may need to learn a word several times before it finally sticks-- thusly, you may need to listen to a lesson several times before you "get" it.

Don't get discouraged... it's the same way for everyone!
High time to finish what I've started. || Anki vocabulary drive: 5,000/10k. Restart coming soon. || Dig my Road to Katakana tutorial on the App store.

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 22nd, 2008 3:48 am

I think the current lessons are very good. May be you should change your method of studying. If you can't absorb so much, then repeat and repeat. Reducing the number of the lessons is going to cause riots.. :lol:

watermen
Expert on Something

Postby watermen » February 23rd, 2008 7:24 am

Another good thing about the current lesson format is that, it suit busy people very well. Most lessons can be done within 30 minutes (15-20 minutes of audio + 10-15 minutes of PDF reading). If the lessons were to go in depth, I believe a lot of people may not have that much time to study. Therefore I really think the current format is the best.

Return to “Japanese Lesson Suggestions”