a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Lesson Guides in the Amazon Kindle Format

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

nalcomis
New in Town

Lesson Guides in the Amazon Kindle Format

Postby nalcomis » May 12th, 2009 8:47 am

It would be super cool if the lesson guides were ported to the Kindle format. That way people could listen to the podcasts on their iPods and read the lesson guides on a Kindle while riding a train, bus, etc without having to print them. I think the Kindle format is generic to several ebook readers. I tried to convert the PDFs via Amazon's mechanism, but it didn't work correctly.

Keep up the good work!

tnagpal
New in Town

Postby tnagpal » June 19th, 2009 7:37 pm

Agreed. Tried converting a couple of the PDFs but they really turned out terrible.

Get 40% OFF
chameleoncoder
New in Town

Postby chameleoncoder » June 20th, 2009 8:52 pm

Unfortunately the kindle doesn't natively support Japanese character sets. There are several available options to make it work though depending on which reader you own.

If you have a Kindle 2 there is a hack to support unicode fonts but as with any hack you risk running into problems. You would still need to run the pdf through a mobi converter with this method.

The Kindle DX supports PDFs natively, which can have fonts embedded in them and therefore should work with the lesson guides (I'll try it out tonight if I get some time).

Finally, the only option I that will work on all 3 kindles including the original would be to use something like PDFRead (http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906) to convert the pdf to a series of images which can then be displayed using the kindle's built in image viewer.

So really there are no super good options other than perhaps the Kindle DX which may work as is. For the other kindles you could always batch convert a bunch of lessons all at once and be done with it. Personally I'd recommend the PDFRead method as it's pretty easy once you get it going and it keeps the formatting of the original pdf.

ghbmail6543
New in Town

Postby ghbmail6543 » March 22nd, 2012 1:41 am

The new kindles including the kindle touch support non latin character sets now, including japanese, according to the amazon page for the device. The PDFs still don't display very well tho, so it would be good to see kindle versions of the lesson notes etc.

giulianoz
New in Town

Postby giulianoz » June 28th, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi,
I have a kindle 4 (not touch) and I can confirm I can read hiragana/katakana/kanji in html/mobi files just fine

jaehwi
Established Presence

Hi

Postby jaehwi » July 4th, 2012 3:56 am

Hi,

From the third generation of Kindle, it supports Asian languages including Japanese, so I believe you can read the characters wihtout any problems. Thanks for sharing your experience with us, giulanoz.

If you have any technical issues about reading our contents in Kindle, please let us know.

Thanks.

Jae / JapanesePod101.com

Return to “Feature Requests”