Start Learning Japanese in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Home Page Critique

Moderators: Moderator Team, Admin Team

sashimidimsum7250
Expert on Something

Postby sashimidimsum7250 » July 17th, 2009 2:26 am

I also go straight to the index.php link. I find the default www.japanesepod101.com page quite obnoxious with the pop-ops and the huge text. That page does this site a disservice in my opinion.
お茶漬け海苔

Yolan
Been Around a Bit

Hmm

Postby Yolan » December 15th, 2009 4:24 pm

Yes, actually when I first signed up to JapanesePod101 I ended up ditching it and not using it all, just because it just seemed so gimmicky. The continual barrage of emails I got within the first week was especially off-putting. I count my lucky stars that I gave it another chance a few months down the road, it has helped me immeasurably, but I came close to never using it at all!!

Two things beyond the emails that I found a bit lame:

1) the heading with the Geisha. I'm an adult who has studied Japanese language/culture/history for several years. Like a lot of people who use this site, I've also lived there. Basically, for a person like me, fuji-san, a temple and a geisha just seems too much like its angled at somebody who has a rudimentary, travel-brochure view of what the country is like. Hey, maybe that's what the majority of your customer base is, but given that you have a lot of higher level lessons (still no advanced level yet T_T) I think toning it down is a good idea.

2) The super special offer never to be repeated apply now or you will miss out for ever. This being the one that some guy from NY or something missed out on, and is now really MAD about the lost opportunity! Gee, if only said make-believe guy could be smart enough to make a throwaway email account and re-register. But that would take some kind of genius! Anyway, yeah, its lame.

A lot of winging there I'm afraid, but I'm not a person to waste my precious time writing anonymous complaints on internet forums. I've bothered to post this because I really have got a lot out of this site, and I came oh so very close to missing out just because of its packaging.

Get 40% OFF
sakurakofahl
New in Town

Postby sakurakofahl » January 6th, 2010 10:07 pm

I think the main reasons for me to sign up here was the fact that it's for free and that there were no other Japanese learning pod-sites around. However, just like Belton said, had there been a Japanesepod just like Chinesepod, I would have gone for that one rather than Japanesepod101. Simply because their structure and layout are simpler, it gives a way more serious and calm impression and it allows the customers to take their time to find out themselves whether they think it's good or not. The information about costs and conditions IS to find there anyway. No need for superlatives everywhere reminding how fantastic and priceworthy the site is. Besides, just as mentioned before, people don't trust banners with words like "FREE!!". The more "FREE"s the less trustable.

And like mentioned, I too found the newsletters in the beginning too long with too little substance. Too many openings questions making the customer feel ashamed not trusting the site's people and pay money. Just some short info about updates and new episodes whould have been enough. Again, just like Chinesepod.

I remember when a friend of mine (teenager) signed up for Koreanclass101 a few months ago. Just as expected she was confused and sceptical. Then she showed me one of those once in a life time-offerings coming up immediately after or between the procedures. Something about many CDs with so-and-so many episodes for half the original price bla-bla.
What annoyed me was indeed the loooooong text (maybe 2 pages long?) with all the superlatives telling how cheap and fantastically amazing this was. Honestly, I got tired after reading a halv page's length but forced myself to read it all through just to see whether it was worth accepting. (I should add here that we're both Swedes and don't have English as our mother tongue, which is why I (being the older one of us) had to help her out here).
Eventually we reckoned this offer might be interesting for others but not for us. And that half an hour we spent reading and thinking (sceptically. Just adding scepticism makes reading even more tiresome) could have been used for something better.

Just a few lines about the deal would have been fine, and we might have been a bit more likely to give the offer a shot.
By the way, why offer such a thing before you had a chance to explore the site? And why call it once in a life time-offer? Are you trying to scare people into becoming your customers?

So: cut the superlatives and use the space for more substantial and relevant things. And stop scaring customers and let them have a look first and decide for themselves whether things on the site are fantastic or not.

If it sounds too good to be true, then it is too good to be true.

Apart from this I like Japanesepod101 pretty much (and the other sister-sites I'm signed up for). It does have many good things and I learn a lot from the lessons. But but to tell the truth, because of all the commercial stuff everywhere I've e-mailed the creators of Chinesepod and asked them to make their own counterparts for Japanese and Korean. Just (?) as a complement. :roll:

PS. I agree with Yolan that the geisha and Fuji heading feels a bit too "touristy". Besides those two things are probably the least an average visitor will see in real life there. Why not add or replace with other things still associated with Japan? Something more "daily lifey"?
And while on it, why not having more Japanese photos along with the lessons? I believe most people want to see what the country and the people are like. We (?) Westerners already see other Westerners everyday anyway :wink:

wyldrose
New in Town

Postby wyldrose » May 11th, 2010 8:24 pm

The website in general is terrible, but I agree that the "landing page" is one of the worst offenders, between the heaped on marketing speak and the autoplaying video (BAD!).

Kafeen
New in Town

Postby Kafeen » May 14th, 2010 1:59 pm

I agree with the comments on the landing page. I was put off joining for ages because I didn't think the site looked very professional. Eventually I was covinced by a friend to sign up and was supprised how much better the site looked ones you get inside.

peachrules
Been Around a Bit

Postby peachrules » May 14th, 2010 11:54 pm

ochazuke wrote:I also go straight to the index.php link. I find the default www.japanesepod101.com page quite obnoxious with the pop-ops and the huge text. That page does this site a disservice in my opinion.

Haha, yeah. I do the same thing.

Return to “Feature Requests”